Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 02:16 AM

12 posts, read 16,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
Stop dancing. First it's "nobody wants your white people vegetables" and now it's "and we can't even afford them".

NY Farmers Market SNAP Program | Getting Fresh Food is a SNAP at NY Farmers Markets!

There's about 100,000 Dominican and Mexican grandmas within reasonable distance of the Kingsbridge Armory that grew up on real food and would pay a little more for a real carrot or tomato even if they couldn't get it with their food stamps, which they can. Not to mention Africans, Jamaicans, Guyanese, Albanians and who all else.

The public markets in Montreal are used by actual working people, retirees, and all sorts of proles, who, because they are of French culture, expect to live on actual food rather than GMO plastic even if they've been diesel mechanics, bus drivers, janitors or laborers all their lives. That's the kind of market the OP is talking about, not a Smorgasburg type of joint. I know you don't want the Bronx filling up with red bearded noodle armed hipsters with fixed gear bikes and apple products, but if you don't think the ice rink scheme is aimed at just that outcome, you're naive.

Ever see hipsters shopping at the better grocery stores on Arthur Ave? No. You see firemen stocking up for the long shift, and grandmas who drove in from New Jersey and runners from restaurants.
Is it fair to stereotype these groups of people as all being dependent on food stamps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 05:21 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Doesnt Fordham U have a hockey team, club team? I know Fordham Prep does. There are actually a number of hockey teams nearby. Columbia isnt too far. If they can use Bakers Field in Inwood, certainly they can come to Kingsbridge. SUNY Maritime has a team. Manhattan College used to, and can easily create a new one since it is just club.

I forget the other HS that have. I think Cardinal Hayes, and All Hallows have teams. There is a bunch of teams nearby in Westchester though. And I believe Westchester needs more rinks.
They do and I suspect that is in the works. The practiced in Englewood when I attended.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:50 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post
If that's true, makes me wonder why people flock to them.

Because many, many people are very, very stupid.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:01 AM

481 posts, read 427,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Because many, many people are very, very stupid.
Clearly, everyone has their own ways of assessing value, but you are entitled to your opinion

Old 11-04-2016, 07:45 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
They do and I suspect that is in the works. The practiced in Englewood when I attended.
Englewood? As in Englewood NJ at the Mackay rink? That is a hassle crossing the bridge just for that.

Old 11-05-2016, 06:59 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Englewood? As in Englewood NJ at the Mackay rink? That is a hassle crossing the bridge just for that.
You got that right.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:39 AM

7 posts, read 6,686 times
This is actually not a terrible idea for the Bronx.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:58 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwalters View Post
It's a great idea.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:25 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwalters View Post
how so? where else can kids from the bronx learn to skate and play on the ice

Old 04-28-2017, 03:01 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
how so? where else can kids from the bronx learn to skate and play on the ice
Reading is fundamental...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City