Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 03:02 PM

28 posts, read 215,245 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to Brooklyn. I really like Boerum Hill and am curious about buying in the area. What are peoples thoughts with the projects so close. Obviously public housing are all over the city but just curious what people think about safety in Boerum Hill and comparison to C-hill and B-heights...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 03:42 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Brooklyn Heights is the nicest out of all 3.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:34 PM

650 posts, read 2,516,876 times
BH seems to be the nicest part of Brooklyn, a lot of public opinion seems to agree. I think Boreum/Cobble area is very nice too. they are all fairly pricy

Old 02-26-2008, 05:59 AM

34,010 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toedrag View Post
Looking to move to Brooklyn. I really like Boerum Hill and am curious about buying in the area. What are peoples thoughts with the projects so close. Obviously public housing are all over the city but just curious what people think about safety in Boerum Hill and comparison to C-hill and B-heights...
overall its a safe neighborhood. the projects there (wyckoff gardens and gowanus houses) aren't as dangerous as most NYCHA developments. Hoyt Street by Gowanus Houses is a little sketchy because people hang out in front of the stores, but other than that its fine. people are buying million dollar brownstones right across the street from these projects so they dont care. when i used to work in boerum hill i used to go to gowanus playground in the projects to eat my lunch. in comparison to clinton hill, i say boerum hill is the better neighborhood....of course brooklyn heights trumps everywhere in brooklyn as the most affluent, however.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-26-2008, 07:57 AM

214 posts, read 1,004,990 times
SeventhFloor: Interesting comments about Boerum Hill.

I have known some neighborhoods in Brooklyn, but haven't seriously gone around to the more "affordable" ones. My maximum price is around $1400-1600/month for a studio or 1-BR. It seems like I am pretty much priced out of Brooklyn Heights and Park Slope. So just like the OP, I'd like to get a better idea about Brooklyn Heights alternatives: Cobble Hill, Boerum Hill, and Carroll Gardens. I'd also like to throw in Park Slope alternatives: Prospect Heights, Windsor Terrace.

Among the 3 alternatives to Brooklyn Heights and 2 for Park Slope, which are the best ones to look at for my price range? Also, same thing as the OP, how is safety in these areas being closer to the "projects"?

Old 02-26-2008, 12:06 PM

windsor terrace is your best choice in terms of price and safety combo.
cobble hill, boerum hill, and carroll gardens are all safe, but expensive as hell nowadays because they're pretty close to manhattan.

prospect heights is the least safest of all the neighborhoods you mentioned, and also the cheapest. there are no projects in prospect heights, but there still are a few blocks that you should be cautious walking at night. personally when it comes to prospect heights, i dont like grand ave and classon ave north of st. marks because its desolate at night, nobody around to hear you scream. lincoln place between washington and franklin is also a shady block. washington avenue is getting a little livelier in a good way though, from what i've been seeing.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:41 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Kensington may also be an option as it borders Windsor Terrace and is near Prospect Park, though it starts to get very boring as you head further out along Ocean Parkway!

Old 07-26-2010, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 7,754 times
I just put down a deposit for a really cute and affordable apartment on the corner of Baltic and Bond. we are right across the street from Project housing but also 2 blocks from Smith street and Bergen. I LOVE the area, like smith street and all the brownstones but one of my roommates is backing out due to concern for her safety being so near the projects and living on one of the less attractive streets. Do you think as three 20-something females we would be safe in this area? Or is this just a terrible decision...

Old 07-26-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher784 View Post
I just put down a deposit for a really cute and affordable apartment on the corner of Baltic and Bond. we are right across the street from Project housing but also 2 blocks from Smith street and Bergen. I LOVE the area, like smith street and all the brownstones but one of my roommates is backing out due to concern for her safety being so near the projects and living on one of the less attractive streets. Do you think as three 20-something females we would be safe in this area? Or is this just a terrible decision...
yes i think you will be safe. like i said before there are plenty of people who have purchased brownstones right across the street from these developments and continue to live normal lives. the only thing i would suggest is to not frequent the hoyt street side of gowanus. lots of characters hang around the stores there and it looks unsafe to me, the few times ive walked around there. and you dont have to walk on hoyt street for anything anyway, smith street should be able to service all your needs.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 7,050 times
Can anyone comment on the area around State St. and 3rd avenue? The location is very confusing to me -- nice brownstone blocks, then the busiest part Atlantic/Flatbush right around the corner. Safety? Peace and quiet? Looking at a brownstone garden apartment in that vicinity (would be moving from Park Slope) Thanks all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City