Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 02:41 PM

31,959 posts, read 27,093,183 times

Advertisements

Just in time for winter!

These Hideous Built-In Air Conditioners Are Spreading Across NYC Like A Virus: Gothamist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 02:51 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,861,120 times
This is not new in the slightest. Look at all the white brick buildings from the 60s. But you're linking a post from a website where 99% of the people who post there have only lived in nyc for 10 minutes.

Old 11-26-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
This is not new in the slightest. Look at all the white brick buildings from the 60s. But you're linking a post from a website where 99% of the people who post there have only lived in nyc for 10 minutes.

Yes, but those "white brick buildings" usually have the smaller Friedrich or Fedder "wall sleeve" for AC, not the larger PTAC units.

As the article makes clear PTACs are on the rise in NYC for some basic reasons, the obvious being it shifts cost of heating from LL/property owner to tenant/resident. No complaints to 311 about heat (or lack thereof), no waste of energy dollars as those who are "roasting" open their windows because the heat is cranked up because some older resident is "freezing". Everyone controls their own heat and that is that.

Other reason is pretty straight forward as well; not having a central heating and or cooling plant dramatically lowers the cost of new construction, which in a high cost area like NYC can be huge savings.

Old 11-26-2016, 03:27 PM

OH yeah, totally agree with you. If I move into one of these buildings I will NEVER be turning on my hear. Sweaters all the way. I hate indoor NYC heat though, it way too hot and mostly leave my windows open all winter long anyway. I just worry, in these kinds of apartments if you keep your apartment very cold is there a risk of pipes bursting? don't want that, but don't want to be paying 200 dollars a month for heat which I don't like anyway. But yes, I've heard people rent new buildings and when they got their first electric bill from these they were like WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Old 11-26-2016, 03:29 PM

Then you have a stove on electric, you have an indoor washer/dryer small unit on electric... the electric bills must be insane. All the affordable buildings going up have this. I swear though, I thought I saw a 40 dollar a month voucher listed on my application in the last lottery I applied for and had an interview. they must know low income tenants are going to be SHOCKED, or maybe they don't care?

Old 11-26-2016, 03:35 PM

I do worry about uneducated idiots, with probably no more than a cursory 6th grade science education in these brand new "luxury" buildings ,using space heaters thinking it will be cheaper than turning on their electric heat and thus causing fires. ooooof. talk about being being pound penny and foolish or whatever that phrase is.

Old 11-26-2016, 03:37 PM

15,870 posts, read 14,514,970 times
My circa 1980 building has them. They have a heat coil in them that uses hot water from the building's boiler. The resident pays to run the fan to blow the hot air around.

Old 11-26-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
OH yeah, totally agree with you. If I move into one of these buildings I will NEVER be turning on my hear. Sweaters all the way. I hate indoor NYC heat though, it way too hot and mostly leave my windows open all winter long anyway. I just worry, in these kinds of apartments if you keep your apartment very cold is there a risk of pipes bursting? don't want that, but don't want to be paying 200 dollars a month for heat which I don't like anyway. But yes, I've heard people rent new buildings and when they got their first electric bill from these they were like WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Then you better read over your lease or other documents carefully before moving into any residential building with PTAC units. Some require tenants/residents not only turn on units, but leave them at a certain temperature even when the place is empty. IIRC rationale behind this is simple; a cold apartment will draw heat from those around it as simple physics means some sort of equilibrium will be sought.

Will agree with you that persons can have no idea how dear they will spend to heat their apartments using electric heat.

Old 11-26-2016, 03:58 PM

Bugsy, you never EVER produce good news do you! Every post of yours sounds so Debbie Downer!!! Now I have to worry about being FORCED to keep nasty heat on that one has to pay for? Not everyone enjoys being indoors in the Winter feeling like a roast turkey. Some of us are cold-blooded. We could, theoretically, die in such conditions!

Old 11-26-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Bugsy, you never EVER produce good news do you! Every post of yours sounds so Debbie Downer!!! Now I have to worry about being FORCED to keep nasty heat on that one has to pay for? Not everyone enjoys being indoors in the Winter feeling like a roast turkey. Some of us are cold-blooded. We could, theoretically, die in such conditions!

Listen bub, it isn't my job in life to pee on your leg then tell you it is raining. Just laying out the facts as they are.

People just need to know what to look for; it does help prevent future "pity me pines" tales about how some naïf is now living in an apartment but "didn't know" about PTAC units and or having to keep the thing running basically all winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City