Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 6,134 times

Advertisements

Looking to spend 1 of my days visiting NYC in Staten Island, as an Italian I'd like to visit some Italian neighborhoods with shops, bakeries, & restaurants etc. I figured since this is where most Italians of NY are, I'd visit here.

Thanks for your help everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 12:29 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,517,503 times
Most Italians are concentrated in the South Shore, and parts of the North Shore, starting on Hylan Blvd., all the way to Tottenville. However, from the 10312 zip code down to Tottenville, you will find the most of everything, as it is much nicer....and much more expensive.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:08 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_bound1432 View Post
Looking to spend 1 of my days visiting NYC in Staten Island, as an Italian I'd like to visit some Italian neighborhoods with shops, bakeries, & restaurants etc. I figured since this is where most Italians of NY are, I'd visit here.

Thanks for your help everyone!
You are better off going to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx, or even what is left of Little Italy in Manhattan.

Yes, there are plenty of Italian restaurants, bakeries, and other establishments on Staten Island, but not a true "Little Italy" feeling. Everything is scattered around and you'll be driving, walking or whatever a lot to cover even a small fraction.

Here ya go to get you started: Staten Island's 22 best Italian restaurants for 2016 (with overlooked gems) | SILive.com

V & J Soriano - 14 Reviews - Caterers - 150 Greaves Ln - Staten Island, NY - Photos - Phone Number - Yelp

Staten Island's PeterBari Pork Store built on mom's homemade recipes | SILive.com

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...s=lf:1,lf_ui:2

As you can see the Rock is mainly residential with commercial scattered around. This is very true on the South Shore where many Italian type shops/businesses are located. So again if you are driving be prepared to spend lots of time in traffic. Overall is really isn't the same sort of walking experience you find on Arthur Avenue, Little Italy (Manhattan).

Old 08-07-2016, 06:02 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinnyc View Post
You are better off going to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx for the experience you are looking for.
Or Dyker Heights.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-07-2016, 06:53 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Staten Island never really has an old school "Italian" feel, unlike the way Bensonhurst & Gravesend use to be. It's basically a bunch of suburban like communities with large middle class Italian American populations.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:16 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Staten Island never really has an old school "Italian" feel, unlike the way Bensonhurst & Gravesend use to be. It's basically a bunch of suburban like communities with large middle class Italian American populations.

True, true.

For the historically large Italian population and in some areas that was nearly 100%, you never got a "Little Italy" sort of vibe going.

Guess because the Rock is so suburban compared to Brooklyn, Manhattan and the Bronx.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:38 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Staten Island is more of a "Jersey Shore" Italian than a "Little Italy" one. Most of the people in the South SHore are just Italians in last name with a taste for Italian American food. But they aren't old world Italian with accents and flying the Italian flag everywhere. Most of em are just white people who work city and utility jobs and trades.

But to answer your question, I guess Tottenville would be your best bet. Maybe anywhere on Hylan Blvd

Old 08-08-2016, 06:34 AM

782 posts, read 858,375 times
Check out 18th and 13th avenues (Between 70th and 86th Streets) in Brooklyn. Some very nice Italian bakeries, cafes and restaurants still left there, though the neighborhoods are changing very rapidly.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:52 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
True, true.

For the historically large Italian population and in some areas that was nearly 100%, you never got a "Little Italy" sort of vibe going.

Guess because the Rock is so suburban compared to Brooklyn, Manhattan and the Bronx.
SI's South Shore to me is basically like a much bigger version of Howard Beach.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:47 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,517,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
SI's South Shore to me is basically like a much bigger version of Howard Beach.

I love living here..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City