Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2016, 05:29 PM

2 posts, read 1,898 times

Advertisements

Hello, If anyone could help, I'd really appreciate it. Anyone whose gone through the process before and/or is even living in an affordable house now. I haven't been selected for anything but I just want to be prepared.

Most of my questions are in reference to the 'Checklists and Resources' PDF provided on the Housing Connect website.

1) Can you have a roommate as a household member?
I read an old forum from 2009 that said after 12 months you can have a roommate.

2) When does the income rise?

I read an old forum that said after 15 years the income is eligible to rise. I know this may depend on each individual developer.

3) Since I don't rent my own apartment and am living with my parents, I know I must:

- Bring a notarized letter
- Copy of their utility bills

- But I'm living with them in a home, that's paid off, not an apartment. So there's no copy of a lease to bring. What alternative document may be requested of me living with a home owner whose paid off their home?

4) Copy of telephone bill (in your name): I pay my own cell phone bill but it's not under my name. We have a family plan and it's under my father's. I normally give him the money (in cash) and he makes the payment. Would an alternative document be a notarized letter of him confirming I pay my phone bill?

5) Since I'm applying to the lottery for an apartment for myself only, do I have to bring in the copies of birth certificates, social security cards, photo ID's, school letters and paystubs of my entire family? Or just me? I was confused by this because I figured why do they need all that information of my family when I'm the only one whose going to live in the apartment. But I could be wrong...

6) In the 'Household Employment Income' section, there's a checkbox that reads: "Bank statements that support deposits". I'm unsure if this is in reference to those who receive cash payments from their employers or in general if you deposit checks from your employer into your bank account. Does anyone know what that's in reference to or can clarify?

I really appreciate the help and sorry if these are basic questions! I just don't want to do anything wrong to get disqualified. I know the NYC Department of Housing Preservation & Development (HPD) has events often where you can attend and ask questions but I haven't been able to make my way there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 05:46 PM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times
I think you should worry about this when and if you're called in for an interview. Thousands of people apply for each apartment. If you do a search in this forum, you'll find most of the answers. For the answers to any other questions, you'll have to ask the person running the lottery you were chosen for.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:50 PM

94 posts, read 172,615 times
different building lottery has different rule and ask for different documents. don't worry, they will send you list of documents they ask for or alternative document.
Asset is you bank balance in your bank, not about the cash income. your cash income should report in your tax return every year. or on the other income source.
Good luck with your housing lotteries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: