Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2016, 10:13 AM

3,730 posts, read 3,464,356 times

Advertisements

NYC DEP came by to test the moving water collecting in my sewer clean out plug catch and confirmed the smelly sewer water is coming thru the ground into my basement catch when the neighbor flushes her toilet by using a dye in her toilet and it appearing on my side of the house.

We live in a row house (common walls)

After trying to speak with the neighbor nicely, she says she cannot afford to fix, she never paid for the sewer line insurance.

We have been dealing with the sewer smell and waterbug (roaches) due to this for over 6-8 months.

DEP told us the health department would force them to fix, but haven't.

What is my next step here?

The neighbor is a ***** and you cannot talk to her without her catching an attitude so we stopped talking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 10:19 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,219,300 times
Assuming she is at fault, lawyer up and take her to court.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Assuming she is at fault, lawyer up and take her to court.
Well the sewer pipe is cracked under the sidewalk due to age and/or roots. Ours (which is right next to hers and the same age as hers) was replaced last year and it was completely broken. NYC DEP says most likely she has the exact same issue that she needs to fix.

Only difference is that I paid for the Sewer insurance so the fix was quick and painless for me.

She decided not to buy the insurance and now they told her it is a $12,000 fix. When she heard that she said "Nope"

So no it's not her fault per se as far as why the sewer pipe needs repair, but it is her fault for not getting the insurance and her fault for choosing not to fix it.

What's even worse is that she has the same leak in her basement and same smell (spoke to her downstairs tenant) and she still refuses to do nothing. BUT she has $$$ to renovate her upstairs bathroom just this past week..... She had contractors in and out of the house

Old 12-11-2016, 10:32 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,219,300 times
What she does with her money is none of your business. If she is responsible for fixing the bad pipe, then that's the only issue that should concern you.

Again, if she is legally responsible for fixing that pipe, then you do that through the court, assuming she will not fix it.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:19 PM

Thanks

Old 12-11-2016, 07:53 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,438,954 times
Health department should be able to get some action going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City