Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2017, 02:47 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,843,219 times

Advertisements

Well, there are 169 units, so 42 or 43 units (25%) reserved for homeless. There are 25 two-bedroom units and 2 three-bedroom units. They probably were all taken for the homeless, since they are probably for mother+kid(s).

Remember, the homeless units are SET ASIDES, not preferences. There is a difference- that means they are set aside for the homeless, even if they are not taken yet. Either the city or Breaking Ground decided to reserve most or all of the the two/three bedroom units for the homeless, probably because they want to make sure kids have a separate room for their parents. A mother+kid wouldn't have much use for a 1 bedroom or studio.

I'm not saying it's right, but that's probably what happened.

Last edited by wiivile; 04-19-2017 at 03:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 02:50 PM

111 posts, read 227,307 times
I thought 25% of community board units were set aside for the homeless, not all the units. This is upsetting, because if BG can do this, then all the other agencies can do it. Actually 12.5% of all the units is less than 22 units, and there are 25 two bdrms. So.... There is something fishy going on here. We'll find out soon enough.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:55 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,843,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBabies View Post
I thought 25% of community board units were set aside for the homeless, not all the units. This is upsetting, because if BG can do this, then all the other agencies can do it. Actually 12.5% of all the units is less than 22 units, and there are 25 two bdrms. So.... There is something fishy going on here. We'll find out soon enough.
50% of the community board units are set aside for the homeless, which is 25% of all units.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:38 PM

46 posts, read 63,875 times
Why would Breaking Ground even disclose this information to an applicant? Seems odd that they would have a family go in for an interview, just to tell them that there are no more 2-br because they've all been given to the homeless. I hope people aren't just drawing their own conclusions and spreading it as verified information. Anyway, I went for an interview in March with a very low log # for a 1br. Was told they were expecting occupancy at end of May or June, which seemed far at the time.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:44 PM

95 posts, read 342,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I would also get my local City Council rep involved. It really doesn't seem right that ALL the two bedrooms were given to the homeless contingent, with none for the community?
I think this is a great idea. There's seems to be something going on. Perhaps it is just that Breaking Ground doesn't know what it's doing.

@katy_perry,

I applied for a two-bedroom so I'm screwed .

Old 04-19-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownDreamer View Post
Why would Breaking Ground even disclose this information to an applicant? Seems odd that they would have a family go in for an interview, just to tell them that there are no more 2-br because they've all been given to the homeless. I hope people aren't just drawing their own conclusions and spreading it as verified information. Anyway, I went for an interview in March with a very low log # for a 1br. Was told they were expecting occupancy at end of May or June, which seemed far at the time.
Yes, I've never heard of this happening. At least it shouldn't.
Were you interviewed for 435w31?

Old 04-26-2017, 02:12 PM

236 posts, read 446,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love2live View Post
Yes, I've never heard of this happening. At least it shouldn't.
Were you interviewed for 435w31?
I was just contacted for an intake interview for this one. Apparently there are still one bedrooms available. Log #18XXX with CB preference.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melle7790 View Post
I was just contacted for an intake interview for this one. Apparently there are still one bedrooms available. Log #18XXX with CB preference.
Melle7790,

This is great news!!!! I hope you have a good experience and that the process runs smoothly for you.

I'm still hoping to get call for a two-bed room despite what's been said. . I have CB preference with a not so high log number.

Wish you the very best of luck. Please keep us posted.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melle7790 View Post
Hey Melle7790,

Would you mind inquiring about the 2-bedrooms? No worries if you do not feel comfortable.
Thanks!

Old 04-29-2017, 09:31 PM

236 posts, read 446,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love2live View Post
Hey Melle7790,

Would you mind inquiring about the 2-bedrooms? No worries if you do not feel comfortable.
Thanks!

Hey! Thank you! Actually in the interview she said they have only studios and one bedrooms in my interview. She said all 2 and 3 bedrooms were given to the city for homeless. So if something opens up it will be because someone drops out or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery