Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 12:31 PM

55 posts, read 41,590 times

Advertisements

I read Newtown Pentacle and kind of feel the same way as that author. I like the skyline until it starts advancing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 06:22 PM

181 posts, read 190,651 times
But how many of you on here can actually afford any of these supertall apartments/condos going up in the air?

Old 12-19-2016, 06:29 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
Brooklyn's new high rises are completely blocking off Manhattan's view which is disconcerting. Plus that just means our rents will continue to sky rocket and welcomes more douche midwesterns/rich foreigners. Hopefully it creates more jobs but the average person doesn't exactly prosper because of it, it is not like the average NYer is all of a sudden able to afford to actually shop at Saks and Neimans...
Rich people have always been a part of the culture and flavor of NY just as much as hip-hop, immigrants, Irish bars and the like. Also, without more market rate housing, those people would just come and jack up the prices in your neighborhood.

To the OP: I love skyscrapers. Build more, build taller.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:30 PM

132 posts, read 171,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDT93 View Post
But how many of you on here can actually afford any of these supertall apartments/condos going up in the air?
Doesn't matter. The people who can afford them move up and out of properties that slide down the foodchain. You will never control the demand in New York, only the supply.

I am not a New Yorker but I say 'build baby build'

I want to see some 2k footers go up.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:31 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,854,441 times
quote:

EXACTLY! And how many of us (who don't win the stupid housing lotteries) even get a shot at viewing them outside our windows!? Hardly anyone. Perhaps ask the same question in the China and Russia forum about what they think of our new Sky Line because they will have a much more nuanced and real-life answer.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:13 PM

539 posts, read 523,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed LA View Post
I am not a New Yorker so i shouldn't be commenting on this thread, but as an Angeleno, i'm rooting for you New Yorkers and the entire Northeast region. It's embarrassing your beautiful dense architecutely well designed cities are losing population to subpar soulless places like Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta. Oh well, their lost.

Hearing that Manhattan and Brooklyn are thriving with highrise projects is exciting as an American. I believe the entire country is secretly rooting for New York's skyline to exceed new limits.

The way most New York city dwellers feel about a taller skyline is the way we Californains feel about SoCal's never ending sprawl. NY is the extreme dense tall city on steroids and Greater LA is the grand massive mid-density with multiple urban cores on steroids.

Chicago is a megacity aswell OP, but your city has just recently achieved mega status.
NYC isn't losing population to anywhere, it continues to grow. NYC has been a megacity since there has been such designation.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:22 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,166 times
^^^ yeah we're not losing population at all. I know some cities are, but we're not one of those cities.

Anyway, it doesn't matter to me that I won't be able to afford to live in one of those new residential supertalls. I can still enjoy the fact that the skyline is growing & transforming

Old 12-20-2016, 05:56 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,825,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed LA View Post
I am not a New Yorker so i shouldn't be commenting on this thread, but as an Angeleno, i'm rooting for you New Yorkers and the entire Northeast region. It's embarrassing your beautiful dense architecutely well designed cities are losing population to subpar soulless places like Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta. Oh well, their lost.

Hearing that Manhattan and Brooklyn are thriving with highrise projects is exciting as an American. I believe the entire country is secretly rooting for New York's skyline to exceed new limits.

The way most New York city dwellers feel about a taller skyline is the way we Californains feel about SoCal's never ending sprawl. NY is the extreme dense tall city on steroids and Greater LA is the grand massive mid-density with multiple urban cores on steroids.

Chicago is a megacity aswell OP, but your city has just recently achieved mega status.
I actually see LA differently. LA was the first city of the automobile, the first we associated with sprawl, and I think we still operate, to a degree, under that old paradigm that exemplified LA in the 1950s. But if I look at LA today, I see a city vastly different from the likes of Vegas, Phoenix, or Houston. The new Los Angeles is urban, committed to mass transit, becoming highly walkable in places. The Wilshire Corridor is almost Manhattan like in the way it creates a linear form of core area. No city can compare to LA in how it has developed its rapid transit system as of late. Few can compare with the diversity of its ethnic neighborhoods. LA is a vastly different city today and the degree of traditional urban culture/infrastructure has increased dramatically. Like you, I would never include Los Angeles among the more soulless cities you describe. LA is urban, has character, and definitely has a sense of place.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:51 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1523 View Post
NYC isn't losing population to anywhere, it continues to grow. NYC has been a megacity since there has been such designation.
Yes, NYC is losing people, but of course new people are always moving in. In recent years there has been net population growth, but that may not last. We had decades of anemic growth to population loss.

Recent stats show rents going down in NYC and a net loss among millennials and gays.

The reality is unless one is super wealthy not many people can sustain living in NYC long term.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:12 AM

15,827 posts, read 14,466,566 times
Net population is way up. There's always people both coming and going, but the population is rising.

Rents at the top end are not rising (saying they're dropping may be a bit overoptimistic.) This is because developers overbuilt in the luxury market. This is a good thing, and really how the system should work (builders build, and the market sets the price.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes, NYC is losing people, but of course new people are always moving in. In recent years there has been net population growth, but that may not last. We had decades of anemic growth to population loss.

Recent stats show rents going down in NYC and a net loss among millennials and gays.

The reality is unless one is super wealthy not many people can sustain living in NYC long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City