Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 12:04 PM

274 posts, read 297,811 times

Advertisements

I work in lower Manhattan, and I'm surprised at just how affordable Jersey City, and Hudson County, is in general given its proximity to NYC. New folks start to job and they all move to the fringe of Brooklyn (or east Williamsburg as they call it ) with a bunch of roommates. I think Jersey has a big sigma, which keeps folks away and rental prices very affordable. But looking past the stigma, living anywhere along the PATH line. Just wanted to throw that out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 12:31 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,425,232 times
I work in Battery Park City. I do completely agree with your post, but personally Jersey City isn't for me. I live on 103rd in UWS/Morningside and really just thrive on being in the city. But you're right, Jersey City is a great alternative especially if you work in Lower Manhattan. I think the Jersey stigma is starting to go away, as people realize that it's a pretty cool place to live. I do like it out there, but if you're all over Manhattan constantly like I am then it's just not really the best option. So it really depends on your lifestyle. If I was more settled down, I could be just as happy in Jersey City as anywhere else in NYC.

Moving to Jersey City? Join the Club.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:42 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
You also don't have to pay NYC income taxes if your job is in NYC and you live in Jersey. At least that's my understanding.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:52 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,918,406 times
Hoboken is nice.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:06 PM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You also don't have to pay NYC income taxes if your job is in NYC and you live in Jersey. At least that's my understanding.
Yes, that is correct. But you will need to pay for both PATH pass and MTA...that could add up.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:12 PM

96 posts, read 101,699 times
I just moved to jc from Washington heights and I love it. A bigger space for cheaper and a 15 minute commute to lower Manhattan.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:13 PM

274 posts, read 297,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yes, that is correct. But you will need to pay for both PATH pass and MTA...that could add up.
PATH accepts Metrocard value, and I would say about 90 percent of the users of the system use metrocard. I don't buy the monthly pass and thinks work out. I forgot about the NYC resident income tax, so there is savings there too. PATH is 24 hours so it isn't bad. If I'm really lazy I take an Uber and it's $40 from most parts of Manhattan to where I live.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:16 PM

96 posts, read 101,699 times
I find living there very convenient so far.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:20 PM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedguy2 View Post
PATH accepts Metrocard value, and I would say about 90 percent of the users of the system use metrocard. I don't buy the monthly pass and thinks work out. I forgot about the NYC resident income tax, so there is savings there too. PATH is 24 hours so it isn't bad. If I'm really lazy I take an Uber and it's $40 from most parts of Manhattan to where I live.
Oh OK, that sounds pretty good then. I just know that if I were to live over there, I'd be taking the subway quite often...so it'd be worth it to buy the monthly pass. And yeah, you save on the NYC resident tax too. Uber price doesn't sound too bad, but taxis don't like going over to Jersey right?

I will also add that I just moved to NYC in July, and my salary isn't that great. Considering I work in BPC, I did consider Jersey City at one point...but I chose where I'm at now because I was intimately familiar with the area and the rental prices weren't that high. I don't think JC would be much cheaper for me at the moment, probably more expensive even. Maybe in the future I could look into JC. But as it stands right now, my commute from the 103rd station to BPC is only 30-35 minutes.

I'm glad it works out for you. I bet some people don't even consider Jersey City...like you said.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:27 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,838 times
Don't you have to pay the cost of the uber plus the tolls. Atleast that's how cabs do it, I remember I paid like $60 to get to EWR for a flight, too expensive mine as well just buy a monthly metrocare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City