Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 06:57 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Again you're talking about an immigrant population, but that isn't what LS013 talked about. He claims there's this huge divide between African American transplants and African American natives which I have never seen discussed in media, written about in books, etc.

Re: Caribbean Black people or Black immigrants, anyone who has been around them or lives in the NYC does not take anyone who says anything about Black Americans not working hard seriously. You won't find Black immigrants in major corporations in large numbers either, unless it's kitchen or janitorial or some other rock bottom job. You'll find a lot of them in retail along with African Americans, or at the lowest paying civil servant jobs with African Americans, and Black immigrants tend to live in the same neighborhoods with African Americans. Upper Manhattan, the Bronx, Eastern Queens, Northeast and North Central Brooklyn.
It could probably just be one mean black non-native New Yorker that was mean to him, so he thinks all of them are like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 07:09 AM

602 posts, read 1,263,465 times
Quote:
Again you're talking about an immigrant population, but that isn't what LS013 talked about. He claims there's this huge divide between African American transplants and African American natives which I have never seen discussed in media, written about in books, etc.

Re: Caribbean Black people or Black immigrants, anyone who has been around them or lives in the NYC does not take anyone who says anything about Black Americans not working hard seriously. You won't find Black immigrants in major corporations in large numbers either, unless it's kitchen or janitorial or some other rock bottom job. You'll find a lot of them in retail along with African Americans, or at the lowest paying civil servant jobs with African Americans, and Black immigrants tend to live in the same neighborhoods with African Americans. Upper Manhattan, the Bronx, Eastern Queens, Northeast and North Central Brooklyn.
I'm not following this closely enough to grasp the nuances here, but there is a definite divide with Caribbean Blacks that has been discussed in many articles.
Quote:
I listened with fascination as my Jamaican immigrant student enumerated the ways West Indians were superior to African Americans.

Children from the Caribbean went to better primary schools, didn't skip classes, had parents who taught them manners, and had more respect for authority and their elders. West Indians, she said, were willing to work hard and African Americans were lazy; more than anything, she couldn't stand being mistaken for a black American.
source: In Solidarity: When Caribbean Immigrants Become Black - NBC News

There is a definite divide in the incomes of recent Blacks versus those who have been here longer.
Quote:
As the ‘different flavors of black’ emerge, different economies are also emerging. The Nielsen research finds that the median household income for foreign-born blacks is 30% higher than U.S.-born blacks.
source: Black Immigrants in U.S. Earning 30% More than U.S. Born Blacks

Old 01-20-2017, 07:33 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaver View Post
I'm not following this closely enough to grasp the nuances here, but there is a definite divide with Caribbean Blacks that has been discussed in many articles.

There is a definite divide in the incomes of recent Blacks versus those who have been here longer.

So if you can't follow the nuances, why are you jumping in what you cannot understand?

LS013 claimed that African American (not immigrant) transplants were highly educated and that looked down on African American New Yorkers. You've not displayed any evidence for this, as the poster in mind did not mention IMMIGRANTS.

Again, his comments had NOTHING to do with Caribbean, or any other Black immigration population. He's referring to African Americans from other states. And he supplied purely anecdotal evidence.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaver View Post

"In "Black Identities: West Indian Dreams and American Realities," sociologist Mary C. Waters describes the surprisingly swift transition (within one generation) from West Indian identification to Black American acceptance. By the second generation many black immigrants find they have become black Americans. The clipped cadences and other linguistic markers that once identified their parents as foreign have faded. Tight-knit enclaves have dispersed. The lack of taboo against intermarriage widens kinship beyond a single, home island identity.

Any edifice of difference continues to crumble in the face of undiscriminating racism. Caribbean immigrants fought for civil-rights, and they have also been victims in high-profile civil rights violations. A white mob chased Trinidadian born Michael Griffith to his death in the eighties. Police tortured Haitian Abner Louima at a precinct and shot another Haitian, Patrick Dorismond, both in the nineties.

More recently, unarmed Jamaican-American teenager Ramarley Graham was shot and killed in his own apartment. Law enforcement policies like racial profiling and broken windows arrests made clear how externally undifferentiated one black face was from another; no one asked from which island a black male hailed before a random stop and frisk.

Additionally, working and middle-class second generation West Indians find themselves victim to the same social problems plaguing African Americans. While some have reaped the benefits of diversity policies in higher education and employment, more find themselves priced out of Crown Heights and Bedford Stuyvesant, Brooklyn neighborhoods where their upwardly mobile parents and grandparents once aspired to home ownership. Frequently their zoned public schools are underfunded and lack arts and science programs.

More than ever, Caribbean immigrants recognize that solidarity with black Americans does not require rejection of their own culture and that sadly, the mantle of oppression spreads to accommodate ever more. The proudest immigrant identity can acknowledge the need for change in an American system that is racially biased—if not against you today, then against your children tomorrow. The immediacy of social media helps coalesce long existing racial strife into epic proportions impossible to ignore."

So according to that writer, a Black immigrant herself, things are not so great for Black immigrants when it comes to encounters with police, or socioeconomic issues. Apparently they do not have the financial resources of white gentrifiers, and honestly they don't have their educational opportunities either.

Look at jobs that pay well in NYC. They'll be mostly White. The dark skinned people are concentrated in the jobs that pay the minimum wage, or close to it.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:46 AM

602 posts, read 1,263,465 times
Quote:
So if you can't follow the nuances, why are you jumping in what you cannot understand?
Quote:

The information posted applies to the bolded parts of your post.

Quote:
LS013 claimed that African American (not immigrant) transplants were highly educated and that looked down on African American New Yorkers. You've not displayed any evidence for this, as the poster in mind did not mention IMMIGRANTS.

Again, his comments had NOTHING to do with Caribbean, or any other Black immigration population. He's referring to African Americans from other states. And he supplied purely anecdotal evidence.
Sorry if I misunderstood the references to Caribbean and Black immigrants in your post that did not actually refer to Caribbean or Black immigrants. I'll go back to not following this post again, I apologize for intruding with unwanted data.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:32 AM

193 posts, read 282,216 times
Quote:
I have never met a Black Native New Yorker claiming that anyone stuck their nose up at them. The only person I've heard making these claims is an anonymous person on the internet. There's not a large body of articles written in the public domain by people using their real name claiming that Black transplants victimize them or look down on them. In other words you are either trolling or suffering from some sort of mental illness/delusion.

I'm not even convinced you're Black btw. People can assume any fake identities online, and I've never seen any evidence that African Americans make the kinds of distinctions between "transplants" and natives. Most African Americans (and for that matter other Black populations in NYC) have relatives elsewhere, and people come and go all the time. Many Black New Yorkers are transplants in other cities (and in some cases other countries as people who make money will return to the South or the Caribbean and/or Latin America to purchase homes).

LOL at me not being Black. I'm as Black as they come. I'm pretty sure YOU'RE not Black, which makes your observations/thoughts null and void about the dynamics of Black life in NYC. I promise you, I know a hell of a lot more Black people than you, and I'm not the only person who has experienced or can see what I'm referring to. Just because YOU don't see it does not mean it doesn't exist

Old 01-23-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Their might be a divide in class, or cultural aesthetics, and academia, but beyond that I cant think of any other divide between native blacks vs transplant blacks

This is because the native Black vs. Immigrant Black dichotomy in NYC is a much older phenomenon. While there has always been a history of Black Americans relocating to NYC from other parts of the country, the Black transplant group I'm referring to share more in common with White gentrifiers, compared to previous groups of Black Americans that relocated to NYC. Shoot my mother is a "Black transplant", as she came to NYC as part of the Great Migration as a child, but she's not part of the people I'm talking about now. The types of Black transplants I'm talking about are college educated, middle class millennials, not mostly rural or working class Black people, which is what most people part of the Great Migration were. I don't think the Black transplant/native Black New Yorker divide is as big because their numbers also are much smaller when compared to Black immigrants in NY, but there is a slight air of friction that exists.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
This is straight BS. Don't be a nignog; once you have the relevant experience and can conduct yourself professionally, you have a great chance of getting the job in my industry (accounting/finance). I would bet money that MOST public sector jobs in NYC are occupied by locals. You act as if George from Staten Island can't act accordingly in a professional setting.

Most of the CPAs in my public accounting firm are local CPAs like myself; financial services firms cast a wider net geographically-wise but I bet this has nothing to do with "NYC accent" that you cite as being "unprofessional".

Wow, this is news to me. Then again, I'm a black immigrant myself and many of us (excluding myself) have a stereotypical, negative viewpoint of African Americans.

Why would someone be shocked at you being "articulate"? Do you have some type of disability/disorder such as Tourettes?

I see you're one of these "colorblind" Black people who like to play dumb and act like employers aren't discriminatory. I work in the public sector and while yes it's still dominated by native New Yorkers, public sector jobs are increasingly being occupied by transplants. That poses a threat to the quality of life to many native New Yorkers, especially those without college degrees, because civil service jobs have been a longstanding pathway to a middle class lifestyle for many native New Yorkers.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Many Latin Americans are Black (this varies from country to country). Black Hispanic people have no problems living in areas with lots of other Hispanics. Don't generalize about Black immigrants.

So Afro-Latinos don't experience discrimination and racism within the Latino community? I beg to differ. I have lots of Afro-Latinx friends who say otherwise and have plenty of experiences of blatant anti-Blackenss from other Latinos and even their own family. While yes, many Afro-Latinx people will live side to side with other Latinx, it doesn't mean it's all good. If anything, there are some Afro-Latinx who choose to cling on to their Black label first before being Latinx because of the racism they face from other Latinos.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS013 View Post
So Afro-Latinos don't experience discrimination and racism within the Latino community? I beg to differ. I have lots of Afro-Latinx friends who say otherwise and have plenty of experiences of blatant anti-Blackenss from other Latinos and even their own family. While yes, many Afro-Latinx people will live side to side with other Latinx, it doesn't mean it's all good. If anything, there are some Afro-Latinx who choose to cling on to their Black label first before being Latinx because of the racism they face from other Latinos.
I never said there's no discrimination. This is an enormously broad topic that varies tremendously from country to country, and within region of the country.

But to declare that Black people will automatically or necessarily feel uncomfortable wherever there's a lot of Latinos is also inaccurate.

As for colorism/discrimination, that happens among African Americans on the basis of skin color, and it has happened within the same family as well. Not to mention some African Americans have plastic surgery, bleach their skin, or straighten their hair to look less African.

I have lived in a number of neighborhoods with Latinos and been to a number of places in Latin America, without problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City