Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 02:00 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
What's so wrong with a government choosing to set an immigration policy? I was dead set against Trump as anyone on this board but I don't see this as a bad thing. It's within the government's right to define an immigration agenda. Since we can't accept unlimited number of immigrants, logic dictates that some groups will be able to immigrate and others wouldn't.
Banning people who have green card and legit visas seems a bit too far. People who have already been vetted and approved. I would hate to have my life upended at the whims of the government (not being able to leave the country without the fear I won't be allowed in).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 02:03 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Yes because taking time and reviewing the situation, putting a reasonable policy in place is exactly what trump is doing. Totally.

That's why the last 24 hours have been a complete cluster F.
I fault those that were blocked especially the greencard holders. If they were actually Americans this wouldn't have happened because we all had to learn the hard way back in elementary school to say "no backsies" when getting or trading for something. I'm certain that none of them said that magic phrase when they applied for their greencards so tough noogies. Going forward they better learn who they're dealing with.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 01-29-2017 at 02:16 PM..

Old 01-29-2017, 02:07 PM

954 posts, read 939,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
I fault those that were blocked especially the greencard holders. If they were actually Americans this wouldn't have happened because we all had to learn the hard way back in elementary school to say "no backsies" when getting or trading for something. I'm certain that none of them said that magic phase when they applied for their greencards so tough noogies. Going forward they better learn who they're dealing with.
Awesome post, love it.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:11 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Banning people who have green card and legit visas seems a bit too far. People who have already been vetted and approved. I would hate to have my life upended at the whims of the government (not being able to leave the country without the fear I won't be allowed in).
Agreed. If he had done a temporary ban on new visas to put things in place for better screening that would be one thing, but he banned green card and legit visas which takes things too far. Also as far as those people knew they were doing everything that they were supposed to do in terms of legal residency, and yet they are the first to be punished because of their religion?

The issue causing concern is next week the President could issue another ban from some other region of the world. He said a lot of bad people were coming over from Mexico, so would there be the Mexican travel ban? This is so unilateral and isn't going before Congress where it can be debated in public.

If Trump has the power to institute this ban and Congress doesn't check him, this does away with the system of checks and balances on the power of different branches of the government.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:20 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
I think people who live in 3 million dollar brownstones should be asked to give up their spare rooms to take everyone in. Then we can up the damn property taxes on these rich crapheads who pay basically NOTHING in property taxes. 4k a year on 2 million dollar brownstone? fark you. you need to take in 2-4 refugees

Old 01-29-2017, 02:48 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
Send them to the rust belt! Plenty of space there! Revenge for voting in a crazy man.

Why isn't saudi arabia, paksitan, and turkey on the list?!

FDT!

Old 01-29-2017, 02:52 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times
NYC does not need any more immigrants but at the same time they should have the right to be here if they so choose and they come here legally.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:54 PM

983 posts, read 932,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I think people who live in 3 million dollar brownstones should be asked to give up their spare rooms to take everyone in. Then we can up the damn property taxes on these rich crapheads who pay basically NOTHING in property taxes. 4k a year on 2 million dollar brownstone? fark you. you need to take in 2-4 refugees
Yes, make an overcrowded city even more crowded, great idea...

Old 01-29-2017, 02:58 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Sure, who will do it? The Hiltons? Trumps? Marriots?

Name one City owned or funded hotel. City already has a backlog of US citizens that are homeless that are waiting to be resettled. Have we forget our own?
There's a Quality Inn in Jamaica converted into housing for the homeless.

Queens hotel converted into homeless shelter | WNYW

Here's a Times article on how many hotels have been converted to housing for the homeless. It's increasing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/07/n...ty-hotels.html

The city has even turned boutique hotels in places like Flatiron into housing for the homeless.

City using boutique hotels as homeless havens | New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV

The last news article says in October, 75 hotels were used to house homeless, up from 31 in the Spring. As I have said in previous threads soon tourists will have to either stay in an expensive high end hotel or rent Airbnb, as the city is rapidly converting hotels into shelters.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:04 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Send them to the rust belt! Plenty of space there! Revenge for voting in a crazy man.

Why isn't saudi arabia, paksitan, and turkey on the list?!

FDT!
Why don't you read the thread before mouthing off ignorance? (Hint: read post # 25) The countries that were selected and not selected were not determined by Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City