Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 11:27 AM

3 posts, read 14,981 times

Advertisements

We are planning to buy in Eastern Queens and these co-ops are within our price range (<$300k). Can anyone chime in about their experiences buying, selling, or living in Clearview Gardens, Deepdale Gardens, Bech Hills, or Glen Oaks? Is there anywhere else in District 26 (or 25) we should check out? We are familiar with the general area(s) but curious about the vibe of each development. Thanks!

Last edited by swan_mom; 09-14-2016 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 02:08 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
I have a ex-co worker who lives in Clearview Gardens with her husband, and has for many years and seems to enjoy it. The only issue she had was a neighbor constantly stealing her New York Times newspaper. I'm by the area regularly and it is a very quiet community with a suburban feel, which I assume you want given the choices you have listed.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:59 PM

31 posts, read 29,932 times
I lived (rented then owned) in Glen Oaks for a few years. The location of our apartment was near the corner of a busy intersection (255th St and Union Tpke). Other than the noise from the buses and general traffic the location wasn't bad. If you go deeper into Glen Oaks, it's very quiet. The demographics of the area has changed over the years, but it is a very quiet and low-crime area. Glen Oaks security does a pretty good job of patrolling the area. You cannot beat the access to everything! Supermarket, post office, library, restaurants, parkway etc. Alley Pond is another co-op community further down on Union Tpke. You may want to look into those as well. Good luck!

Old 09-15-2016, 07:16 PM

292 posts, read 702,739 times
Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:41 AM

4 posts, read 15,567 times
Hi Swan-Mom,

Just wondering how your search was going for those complexes and what you may have found out. I've been looking into Deepdale Gardens and Glen Oaks. I haven't looked into Clearview yet. It seems that Deepdale's floorplans show a little bit larger rooms in some instances than Glen Oaks. An ex-co-worker lived in Glen Oaks and complained about parking there. I've driven around both communities on a couple of occasions. Deepdale seems pretty quiet to me and maybe not as congested. I was also looking at Beech Hills, but I found a couple of postings on line citing possible financial stability issues and complaints of higher maintenance and relatively frequent special assessments. Everything I've read about Deepdale and Glen Oaks seems like they are financially sound. I'm curious as to what percentage of the maintenance fee in each can be deducted at tax time. Glen Oaks allows dogs, where Deepdale doesn't. That doesn't matter to me. Ability to have a washer and dryer in the unit does matter to me and both communities allow them.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps88 View Post
Hi Swan-Mom,

Just wondering how your search was going for those complexes and what you may have found out. I've been looking into Deepdale Gardens and Glen Oaks. I haven't looked into Clearview yet. It seems that Deepdale's floorplans show a little bit larger rooms in some instances than Glen Oaks. An ex-co-worker lived in Glen Oaks and complained about parking there. I've driven around both communities on a couple of occasions. Deepdale seems pretty quiet to me and maybe not as congested. I was also looking at Beech Hills, but I found a couple of postings on line citing possible financial stability issues and complaints of higher maintenance and relatively frequent special assessments. Everything I've read about Deepdale and Glen Oaks seems like they are financially sound. I'm curious as to what percentage of the maintenance fee in each can be deducted at tax time. Glen Oaks allows dogs, where Deepdale doesn't. That doesn't matter to me. Ability to have a washer and dryer in the unit does matter to me and both communities allow them.
ps88, I have heard varying opinions. Maintenance is fine, maintenance is terrible, etc. Clearview seems to have more complaints and/or more vocal complainants than the other two. We are also concerned that Glen Oaks may be congested, although living by the farm is pretty cool. We were considering renting in Glen Oaks as a way to try before we buy.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:01 PM

Hi swan_mom,

Just wondering if you got any further in your search or if you wound up finding a rental unit in Glen Oaks and, if so, how you may be liking it so far.

I, too, thought being near the farm museum would be pretty cool. I was at a meeting with someone who happens to live right across from the farm and her take was a little different based on animal noises early in the morning and sometimes "odor", lol, but that is with living directly across the street.

I may also consider the rental option for a little while if I can find something I like since I'm still so undecided on which one to consider buying in. Both seem to have pretty good and sound financial track records. I don't know that Deepdale Gardens actually offers rental situations, but I know Glen Oaks does. I'm feeling the need to move on this a bit more now as the place I'm in now is becoming a bit harrowing as the landlord suffers from dementia and it is rapidly progressing and his family is, unfortunately, not as involved as they should be and he lives alone in his apartment.....getting a little scary and unsafe feeling.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps88 View Post
Hi swan_mom,

Just wondering if you got any further in your search or if you wound up finding a rental unit in Glen Oaks and, if so, how you may be liking it so far.

I, too, thought being near the farm museum would be pretty cool. I was at a meeting with someone who happens to live right across from the farm and her take was a little different based on animal noises early in the morning and sometimes "odor", lol, but that is with living directly across the street.

I may also consider the rental option for a little while if I can find something I like since I'm still so undecided on which one to consider buying in. Both seem to have pretty good and sound financial track records. I don't know that Deepdale Gardens actually offers rental situations, but I know Glen Oaks does. I'm feeling the need to move on this a bit more now as the place I'm in now is becoming a bit harrowing as the landlord suffers from dementia and it is rapidly progressing and his family is, unfortunately, not as involved as they should be and he lives alone in his apartment.....getting a little scary and unsafe feeling.
Sorry about that, ps88. I can relate. We were in a similar situation.

We went to see three Glen Oaks rental units in December. No animal odor (lol!) but we were not looking that close to the farm.

The most updated unit, the largest two-bedroom, was smaller than our current rental. The reno was ok, not great, e.g., new appliances but they left peeling paint on the walls, and the downstairs neighbors' music was clearly audible.

The least updated was terrible: filthy, tiny rooms, old appliances. It was in the smaller western section, which seemed a little "trashier" with toys and furniture laying messily around the grounds. I would avoid this section.

There were a few more updated units that we would have had to return during the week to view but we opted not to and found a rental elsewhere in northern Queens. We put the condo search on hold and decided to save up a bigger down payment for a different development.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:20 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
The area is good! Have you looked at the co ops by springfield and hillside? The apartments are set up like town houses, and close to neighborhood amenities like the supermarket. This area also has an express bus to the city, and frequent buses to 179 street.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:44 PM

Hi swan_mom,

Glad to hear you found something and now have the ability to save up longer for something else!

It's funny, since I posted to you last time I've spoken to two additional people about Glen Oaks Village. One had lived there for several years and moved to a different development nearby. She said she hated living in Glen Oaks for many different reasons from inconsiderate, trashy neighbors, some of whom were sublets that didn't care about the development and their neighbors as they had the luxury of being transient, problems with parking, overcrowding, cars in the area being vandalized, that kind of thing. She also commented on how small the bedrooms are in all of the apartments there compared to other developments. She said she couldn't wait to get out and is far happier where she is now with neighbors who all own, no sublets allowed, and they're all on the same page with being caring, courteous and considerate of one another...what neighbors should be. The other person I spoke to was in the market for a new place and looked at a few apartments in Glen Oaks and seemed to have much of the same observations that you had. One apartment he went to was an upper that had a massive water stain on the ceiling that he asked about and the owner got very testy stating it wasn't his fault, rather the development for not taking care of what they should and one of the reasons he was looking to get out.... not a very good d selling point, lol.

I think I now have enough ammo to cross Glen Oaks off the list completely. I'm still curious about Deepdale Gardens and have yet to find someone with insider knowledge about the place to speak to.

Kapikap, do you know the name of the development on Springfield and Hillside? Is that in the area where Windsor Oaks is, or somewhere around there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City