Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 06:47 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
So on this the best place to live list we fall well behind the leaders -- such fabled outposts of urbanity and sophistication as Des Moines, Boise, Colorado Springs, Salt Lake City, Sarasota, and Fayeteville, Arkansas?

And also well behind other high COL cities like Boston, DC, San Francisco, and San Jose?

And those places with such pleasant winters like Minneapolis or Madison, Wisconsin?

And those cities with their lovely summers and progressive state politics, like Austin, Dallas, and Houston?

Spare me. Just spare me. Whoever put this list together has their head up the arse. Especially since the list is talking about metro areas and not just cities proper.

New York is #80, while all the above are in the top 25?

Spare me. Just spare me.
Have you ever left the city before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 06:53 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Of course I've traveled beyond NYC. And I certainly believe that a person can be happy in other cities. I've said many times before on these boards that that NYC just isn't for everyone, regardless of income, family, race, political or sexual orientation, etc. Some people will just never like it here.

But the idea that when comparing metro areas NYC's is SO much worse off than the other 79 largest metros areas in the U.S. is just laughable.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:19 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
I was very surprised that Upstate ranked so high. I seriously considered moving to Syracuse. I really liked that place. Housing costs are so cheap but it is hard to find a job in my field.

Texas ranked number 1. Okay.

Baltimore ranked higher than NY. Okay.

Phoenix ranked 44. I am a little surprised. I considered moving there. I love the desert. It is good to visit not to live. The heat would kill me.

North Carolina ranked 7. I considered Raleigh several years ago. It is not as cheap as one would think. I do not want to live in a bush. This is the one place I considered and did not visit.

D.C is more expensive than NYC. I do not get it.

San Jose is expensive.

If I can remain at my job and buy a condo close to where I live now, I will live in NYC until I leave this earth.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:24 PM

546 posts, read 764,352 times
so what...but i bet its TOP 3 making most bucks here $$, we gettin money here.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:43 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
quote:
we gettin money here.

:/ im sure

Old 02-13-2017, 07:57 PM

954 posts, read 939,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Have you ever left the city before?
I totally agree with him and I travel for a living. Having been to states all over the country I can say that I can say that nothing beats NY. When I return from a business trip I can't WAIT to get back to dirty ass ghetto JFK. The rest of the country is just... the worst. Seriously, take if from me it's the pits.

I love my dirty ass expensive rude overcrowded city. Like goodlife said the only way I'm leaving is in a body bag.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:08 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
I was born and raised here. The fact that my parents could buy a house in a nice neighborhood in 1980 on a single, low income and not a dime in savings just shows how much housing prices have changed.

My husband and I have been visiting cities over the past year or two to see if anything is worth moving to---only time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I ONLY moved to NYC 16 years ago because I don't know how to drive :/ Fast forward 16 years... ooof. I wish I learned how to drive back then! It's not fun being 40 years old and following the housing lottery threads every day because it feels like your last chance before personal financial collapse.
You can still learn how to drive...

I see plenty of people taking driving lessons at 40+ years old.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:27 PM

954 posts, read 939,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I was born and raised here. The fact that my parents could buy a house in a nice neighborhood in 1980 on a single, low income and not a dime in savings just shows how much housing prices have changed.

My husband and I have been visiting cities over the past year or two to see if anything is worth moving to---only time will tell.

You can still learn how to drive...

I see plenty of people taking driving lessons at 40+ years old.
Like all NYers I've done the look into moving into another state thing. With my job I could potentially live anywhere and keep my Ny salary (for the most part).

After about 3 years of research, we were this close to moving the Atlanta. One of the few place outside of NY we could tolerate. Then we realized we hated Atlanta.... then we realized we hated the south... the we realized we hated every place that wasn't NY and that we would just make it work here.

It's 3 years later and we haven't looked back. Nothing beats the vibe and energy here. There's just something about it. Honestly I've even learned that I even love being on the subway, the hustle, the crowds. The fact that I live in a place that is relevant. Being away from the city I always have this feeling that I'm "missing out on something". I don't know how to describe it. Maybe someone who has seriously considered moving and changed their minds can articulate it better.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:39 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
So on this the best place to live list we fall well behind the leaders -- such fabled outposts of urbanity and sophistication as Des Moines, Boise, Colorado Springs, Salt Lake City, Sarasota, and Fayeteville, Arkansas?

And also well behind other high COL cities like Boston, DC, San Francisco, and San Jose?

And those places with such pleasant winters like Minneapolis or Madison, Wisconsin?

And those cities with their lovely summers and progressive state politics, like Austin, Dallas, and Houston?

Spare me. Just spare me. Whoever put this list together has their head up the arse. Especially since the list is talking about metro areas and not just cities proper.

New York is #80, while all the above are in the top 25?

Spare me. Just spare me.
Who needs NY when you have Downtown San Jose? Downtown provides almost everything in just a few block areas as supposed to the larger of Manhattan. The quality of foods/nightlife, entertainment and everything is really good.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:53 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Who needs NY when you have Downtown San Jose? Downtown provides almost everything in just a few block areas as supposed to the larger of Manhattan. The quality of foods/nightlife, entertainment and everything is really good.
How's the crime?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City