Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 02:18 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times

Advertisements

Market rate units only.

http://ny.curbed.com/2017/3/6/148286...tal-oversupply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 03:19 AM

186 posts, read 220,358 times
Good, hopefully this will drive down rent cost. Its out of control and basically ridiculous the rents being charged for these places.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:49 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,007,445 times
So, you give me 1 month free and then come the end of the lease you slap me with an unconscionable increase? This don't mean anything in the long-term though. With the non-renewal of the 421-a program, less projects will be coming online in the future.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:22 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
I personally do not see the attraction of Downtown Brooklyn. I get that it has good transportation and is close to desirable neighborhoods such as Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, Fort Greene and Dumbo, but to me it has a feel of an underutilized urban landscape with tons of distractions from the flow of its city grid. Just doesn't feel fluid.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:21 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,887,699 times
$3500 for a 1 bedroom. And at night it's homeless people everywhere. Pass.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:31 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I personally do not see the attraction of Downtown Brooklyn. I get that it has good transportation and is close to desirable neighborhoods such as Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, Fort Greene and Dumbo, but to me it has a feel of an underutilized urban landscape with tons of distractions from the flow of its city grid. Just doesn't feel fluid.
Umm, you just answered your own question..."it has good transportation and is close to desirable neighborhoods such as Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, Fort Greene and Dumbo"

Add to that, it has immediate proximity to places like BAM, Barclays Center, movie theaters (there's a new Alamo Drafthouse at Albee Square and it's pretty awesome. I must admit, I'm going there a lot now) and it's a stones throw to the BK museum. Also, downtown BK has added a swath of new retail. Fulton Mall isn't just Jimmy Jazz and wig stores anymore. It has major retailers: Centry 21, Gap, Banana Republic, MAC, Target, Nordstrom Rack, H&M, just to name a few. Also, within CityPoint there are more "retail attractions" coming including a massive artisan food hall, Dekalb Market, a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods 365 store is opening up close by in Ft Greene. And let's not forget that it is quite literally a 10 minute commute to loathe FIDi and 20 minutes to midtown.

So while YOU might not see the attraction, the above makes it clear why many others do.

On a side note, I think the apartments will fill but it will be a slower process because of the price. If those $2700 studios were $2100, they wouldn't have an issue.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
$3500 for a 1 bedroom. And at night it's homeless people everywhere. Pass.
Have you been to the area lately? Its not like that at all.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:59 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,887,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Have you been to the area lately? Its not like that at all.
I work there. After dark homeless are everywhere including inside the lobby's of banks. I'm afraid to get attached on my way to the train.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:19 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,757,036 times
Quote:
I work there. After dark homeless are everywhere including inside the lobby's of banks. I'm afraid to get attached on my way to the train.
I dont see why you would be afraid. When they propose just say no....

Old 03-07-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Ok we clearly have different experiences...I'm a 5'4" woman and have not had any issues in that area after dark. I've gone to the Alamo movie theater many times now- usually evenings on the weekend because the brunch hour shows are always sold out. My boyfriend's apartment is on Court Street so I'm in the area a lot besides just going to the movies. There is one persistent "homeless woman in the bank lobby" inside of Chase on Court St and that McDonads on Fulton and Flatbush always seems to have people loitering- probably because it's 24 hours- but besides that, I don't see "homeless people everywhere" especially not in or around the new developments.

Where are you encountering all of these vagrants? I'm genuinely curious as to where they are loitering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City