Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 04:37 PM

186 posts, read 220,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Yes it is.
The MTA should be free to everyone and fully supported by the general state and City income tax revenue that should be a PROGRESSIVE tax, unlike what it is today.
Yeah right, no one would go for that tax, they would shut down the streets in gridlock before the state could make that plan go through
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 08:24 PM

912 posts, read 1,132,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Fire fighting (and not just in NYC) is usually paid for by property taxes. Property owners benefit from it (in both the protection of their properties, and savings on insurance), so having them pay that way isn't improper.

Transit riders are the main beneficiaries of the transit system. So it's proper that they pay for by paying a fare.
I'm sorry, were you in coma after Hurricane Sandy? Or are you simply this ignorant? Do you not remember the STAND STILL traffic the day after because the subways were shut down. And thats even though the majority of offices remained closed because the subway was closed. Transit keeps cars off the road, and reduces the congestion. The City wouldn't be able to function without transit. How else do you purpose moving 6 million people a day?

If anyone isn't paying their fair share, its drivers. our roads are ****. And its not because of transit. The DOT, a city agency, is in charge of road upkeep, completely unrelated to the MTA. NYC drivers should pay an additional registration fee to maintain our roads, after all drivers are the ones that put excessive stress on our roads. ****y roads cause traffic. I shouldn't have to deal with bumper to bumper traffic, creating unnecessary pollution in front of my house, because NYC drivers don't pay enough to maintain city roads.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:57 PM

186 posts, read 220,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
How is it materially different from fire-fighting. Should only those who have fires be billed for the cost of fire-fighting units?
Same thing can be applied to the healthcare debate. Not sure how congressional republicans do not understand this simple thing.
We use that method on every other form of insurance yet however healthcare is different.
Okay back to topic.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:43 AM

602 posts, read 1,263,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Fire fighting (and not just in NYC) is usually paid for by property taxes. Property owners benefit from it (in both the protection of their properties, and savings on insurance), so having them pay that way isn't improper.
Just as an interesting aside, fire fighting doesn't work this way everywhere. I grew up in the American Southwest, where they wore guns on their hips and had moar freedumbs. I don't know if it worked like this in other parts of the country, but there were large areas there where you could choose to subscribe to fire service or not, which was run by a private company. Sometimes there were competing companies, and you could choose based on cost and/or response times to your address. If you subscribed, you paid your 600$ or whatever a year and if you had a fire you could call and they would come out, no charge. Or deductible, whatever. Some minor charge. If you DIDN'T subscribe and you called, you'd get to either agree to pay full price (which typically ran into the tens of thousands) or they would let your stuff burn.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:22 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaver View Post
Just as an interesting aside, fire fighting doesn't work this way everywhere. I grew up in the American Southwest, where they wore guns on their hips and had moar freedumbs. I don't know if it worked like this in other parts of the country, but there were large areas there where you could choose to subscribe to fire service or not, which was run by a private company. Sometimes there were competing companies, and you could choose based on cost and/or response times to your address. If you subscribed, you paid your 600$ or whatever a year and if you had a fire you could call and they would come out, no charge. Or deductible, whatever. Some minor charge. If you DIDN'T subscribe and you called, you'd get to either agree to pay full price (which typically ran into the tens of thousands) or they would let your stuff burn.
What would happen if someone other than the property owner calls in the fire?

Old 03-24-2017, 07:13 AM

602 posts, read 1,263,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
What would happen if someone other than the property owner calls in the fire?
They let it burn or they try to put it out and send a fat bill. Like so: https://www.yahoo.com/news/blogs/odd...204449952.html

Last edited by daaver; 03-24-2017 at 07:22 AM..

Old 03-24-2017, 02:18 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
So I saw yesterday that they are going to raise metrocard fares soon. And then tonight, I waited for an hour and 15 minutes for a B38 bus at Adams street downtown The arrogance of this city never fails to astound me. If you're going to keep raising fares, at least provide decent service you schmucks.
Let me ask you this: How often have you contacted them to complain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City