Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 09:50 PM

8 posts, read 5,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Vegas View Post
I think I've decided on UES or UWS. Battery Park City is too far of a commute, but it's nice.

Anyone know what part of UWS would be a more quiet, upper class area?

Riverside Drive, West End Ave, Central Park West
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 07:23 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Chava,
Rego Park may be relatively quiet but nobody would call it sophisticated.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:44 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,843,219 times
To the OP, your username is ironic. How old are you? I'd suggest Sutton Place but you're probably not 80.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:52 PM

377 posts, read 509,563 times
UES (Carnegie Hill); also some sections of UWS. Good luck to you

Old 04-12-2017, 09:18 PM

54 posts, read 72,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
To the OP, your username is ironic. How old are you? I'd suggest Sutton Place but you're probably not 80.
I'm far from 80 but would love to live in a neighborhood of 80-year-olds. They know how to behave. So, Sutton Place, huh? Pretty quiet over there then?

Old 04-14-2017, 08:57 AM

782 posts, read 527,522 times
Quote:
I wanted to keep the title of this thread reasonably lengthed, but I'm not sure that it explains what I'm looking for. I moved into an apartment that is full of loud, partying 20-somethings, and I'm pretty much done. I am going to pay the lease break fee and get out of Dodge (or at least Hell's Kitchen).

As I don't want to repeat my mistake, I am asking for help in locating neighborhoods in NYC that have more mature, considerate, classy residents. I have up to 4K to spend monthly on rent, so that is a limiting factor. I don't need a luxury building or large space, however. I am fine with a very small 1-bedroom in an older building with no ammenities.

Any advice for someone who would rather not come home to a Girls Gone Wild scene? Know of any parts of either Manhattan, Queens, or nearby Jersey that have a more mature and better behaved crowd? Specific neighborhoods would be even better.
It sounds like you got a little unlucky with the building. I guess to reduce the risk of that happening again, avoid Murray hill (east 30s) and Kips bay (east 20s) where there's more of a recent grad population. But I don't know if you really have to seek out "sophisticated" areas or blocks to live in a quiet environment. Just be more diligent in researching specific buildings by talking to the super or doormen. I've lived in buildings with a lot of young people with no noise issues so it just depends.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:06 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
I think I've decided on UES or UWS. Battery Park City is too far of a commute, but it's nice.

Anyone know what part of UWS would be a more quiet, upper class area?
Upper West Side - That's easy. Central Park West without question. Quiet, charming, classy. You'll feel like you're away from it all, but have all of the shops and restaurants a short walk away. The same could be said about Riverside Drive as well. You'll have river views along with the park if you go that route and live high enough, but you'll have to walk a bit more to get to the action along Broadway. I'd personally go with Central Park West just because I hate those damn hills going from Riverside Drive but that's a personal preference.

For the Upper East Side - I'd go with streets off of Madison OR along Park Avenue. Madison has an air of sophistication (I know I spent a great deal of time on the Upper East Side dining in local places). Park feels like another world.

If I had to pick, I prefer the Upper East Side. I live in a neighborhood similar to the Upper East Side so I guess that's why I prefer it. The people are nicer overall. I prefer the older crowd, though you do have some snobs, but that's the exception and not the rule. I feel like there's no room to walk on the Upper West Side even with the wide sidewalks along Broadway and the sophistication seems lost because of all of the outsiders that come over there.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 04-14-2017 at 09:14 AM..

Old 04-15-2017, 08:33 PM

54 posts, read 72,471 times
Thanks, Pierrepont, for your suggestions. Those streets are the ones I think I'm going to narrow in on. I want to get it right this time and not have to move yet again. I haven't spent too much time on CPW so will probably explore in the morning. I have spent time on Madison and Park, and that area suits me the best, so far. Oh, and I am a snob -- but not a silly snob. I'm a snob in that I don't appreciate inconsiderate people. Not a snob about what brands people use or who they know.

I haven't found really any listings for Park or Madison on Street Easy. Do you know how people find co-ops to rent in the Park/Madison area?

Old 04-15-2017, 08:54 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Thanks, Pierrepont, for your suggestions. Those streets are the ones I think I'm going to narrow in on. I want to get it right this time and not have to move yet again. I haven't spent too much time on CPW so will probably explore in the morning. I have spent time on Madison and Park, and that area suits me the best, so far. Oh, and I am a snob -- but not a silly snob. I'm a snob in that I don't appreciate inconsiderate people. Not a snob about what brands people use or who they know.

I haven't found really any listings for Park or Madison on Street Easy. Do you know how people find co-ops to rent in the Park/Madison area?
There was a wonderful neighborhood realty company that relocated that was right on Madison and 84th that had listings (Brown Harris Stevens). It has since relocated to a bigger space nearby. Of course there are others. I know a few people that own in the area. One off of Madison in the 70's. I'm sure they went through a realtor. Some of it is definitely word of mouth. The Upper East Side is like that. If you have friends in either area, I would speak with them. They can perhaps suggest some ideas or introduce you to some folks. I was just on the Upper East Side today right in the area. I frequent some of the cafés and restaurants. Le Pain Quotidien while a chain is a favorite of mine and the locals in the area. Crowded but everyone is civilized. EAT is another popular spot from the famous Eli Zabar. Feel free to ask anything else. We are likely in a similar age group (relatively young).

You should know that anything on Park or off of Madison is VERY desirable, so I wouldn't expect that much to be available. Because of the prime location and closeness to Central Park and the shopping on 86th, be prepared to pay top dollar to rent.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:34 PM

306 posts, read 283,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
May I suggest Forest Hills Gardens in queens. It a gorgeous, Tudor style neighborhood. The best part is that when you want some noise/action, you cross under the LIRR tracks onto Austin Street, but the residential side is really quiet. You have great transport in form of the the E/F express or you can take the LIRR to Penn.

If you are looking to stay in Manhattan, then I suggest you try Battery Park City. The nearby park is scenic, of not a bit full of tourist during the day, but at night it's dead quiet.
Informe yourself better, Forest Hills gardens is part of forest hills , it is the wealthy part of forest hills with million dollars mansions . And the rest of forest hills is middle and upper middle class . So it's better to say forest hills is good for him , he can find a great condo apartment there for less than 4k a month , you don't need that much for a great apartment in forest hills or kew gardens. Both forest hills and kew gardens are some of the most charming neighborhoods in NYC .They are both middle class and upper middle class neighborhoods , except for forest hills gardens which is the wealthy part of forest hills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City