Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 02:35 PM

11 posts, read 6,165 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am currently living in Canada (Canadian) but planning on spending about 4-6 months in NYC.

I have lived there before for a year but that was way back in 2009. Things have probably changed.

What are my options for housing?

I have a budget of about 20,000$USD (savings) for the 6 months. And I should be working remotely with my company. It is a software company so pretty flexible on that. I am currently working from home. But I still want to limit the damages. Money in the city can go pretty fast.

I find the most expensive thing in NYC is mostly the rent. the rest seems to be okay. Maybe transportation second but after living In toronto, I find NYC to be okay.

So far, I want to limit at 1000$ for rent. I think I should be able to find something in either Brooklyn or Jersey with a roommate. But I want to avoid the roommate thing.

Questions.

1. Is there any apartment in the 1000-1200$ range in either Brooklyn, Queens or Jersey. Or Am I stuck with the roommate option?

2. Is there a way to have a lease or my own place for 6 months contract only instead of a year lease? Im good with a studio.

3. What other advices would you have for me?

Thank you very much,

For your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 06:26 PM

481 posts, read 427,575 times
Hiya Homie
Any reason why you want those areas (Brooklyn, Queens, Jersey)? And is there somewhere specific that you want to commute to regularly? Also, how long of a commute will you accept? Brooklyn and Queens are both pretty big and deep.

Take a look at Streeteasy.com to get an idea of what rents are like in different neighbourhoods in NYC right now. You'll probably be looking at Craigslist for a sublet, but $1200 is going to be hard to find.

If you go the roommate route get onto https://www.listingsproject.com sometimes good situations spring up there.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post
Hiya Homie
Any reason why you want those areas (Brooklyn, Queens, Jersey)? And is there somewhere specific that you want to commute to regularly? Also, how long of a commute will you accept? Brooklyn and Queens are both pretty big and deep.
Hello Commander Beth.... Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

I used to live in Brooklyn and Queens. so it could be just out of habit. Also i find them a bit more secure than Harlem or the Bronx. I am pretty sure that there are some safe spots in both Harlem and the Bronx but the couple of times i end up there it was really sketchy. It could have been the stations. Though Brooklyn also has some rough areas as well.

For commute, 30min to 45min to Union Square would do. I usually do quite a bunch of things around the area.

But since i wont be commuting there all day like a worker i could be a lot more flexible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post
Take a look at Streeteasy.com to get an idea of what rents are like in different neighbourhoods in NYC right now. You'll probably be looking at Craigslist for a sublet, but $1200 is going to be hard to find.

If you go the roommate route get onto https://www.listingsproject.com sometimes good situations spring up there.
I did not know about those streeteasy and listingsproject. I will check them out.

I see that Craigslist is still King. good to know and to remind me.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:08 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Be careful of Craigslist. If it sounds too good to be true, then it is.

Either find a sublet or yeah, you'll have to do the roommate thing.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Be careful of Craigslist. If it sounds too good to be true, then it is.

Either find a sublet or yeah, you'll have to do the roommate thing.
Yeah most likely the roommate thing. Not ideal but Will have to do.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:27 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
It might be possible to find a studio apt. in Queens for just over $1000 a month but only for a yearly lease. For 4-6 months, renting a room (roommate situation) is probably the only viable option or perhaps a sublet (but those aren't easy to find).

Old 05-04-2017, 05:51 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Is your job requiring to spend 4 to 6 months in NYC? Or is there a reason on why you want to spend 4 to 6 months in NYC?

Old 05-04-2017, 06:21 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
If you look hard enough, you might be able to find a situation where the roommate is out of town most of the week. There are so many different types of housing situations.

However, I will say that even $1000 for a roommate situation is not that much these days. You will find 2 bedrooms in many outer borough areas (the areas that would make it easy to get to Union Square in 45 minutes) going for more than $2000, so that means more than $1000 for each roommate.

Forget about the studio option alone, unless you are lucky enough to find a 4 to 6 month studio sublet. Even then, chances are it's going to be $1400 or $1500 and up for a studio with a 45 minute commute to Union Square.

Don't forget about Facebook (if you have an account) for finding housing. There are housing and roommate groups on there for people searching in NYC. I haven't joined any because I don't need housing, but I have heard of them.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:11 AM

481 posts, read 427,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If you look hard enough, you might be able to find a situation where the roommate is out of town most of the week. There are so many different types of housing situations.

However, I will say that even $1000 for a roommate situation is not that much these days. You will find 2 bedrooms in many outer borough areas (the areas that would make it easy to get to Union Square in 45 minutes) going for more than $2000, so that means more than $1000 for each roommate.

Forget about the studio option alone, unless you are lucky enough to find a 4 to 6 month studio sublet. Even then, chances are it's going to be $1400 or $1500 and up for a studio with a 45 minute commute to Union Square.

Don't forget about Facebook (if you have an account) for finding housing. There are housing and roommate groups on there for people searching in NYC. I haven't joined any because I don't need housing, but I have heard of them.
Gypsy Housing is the biggest (and best) one...it's exclusive to people who work in the performing arts, but the forum is in public view so...

Old 05-05-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Is your job requiring to spend 4 to 6 months in NYC? Or is there a reason on why you want to spend 4 to 6 months in NYC?

Hello The Ryu, I could be working remote with my company but it is not needed or required. I just have money set aside and thought i could come spend time in NYC. I love the energy of the city and the city itself. Though when i was leaving there i felt that 4-5 years there would drain me.
So i might or might not be working while there. But for sure money would go a loooooooong way in another country like cambodia or thailand but eager to live back there for a while before moving on to other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City