Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 09:33 AM

152 posts, read 109,692 times

Advertisements

Oh this is a bit off the original topic but with regard to Peartree Plaza...I have give them credit, they are fixing up the parking lot. I just passed by there last night. The potholes are fixed and parking spots/lines are freshly painted. Also I think they handled the replacement of overhead lamps. If they fixed up the façade and put a bit of simple landscaping I would have absolutely no complaints about the property management company/owner. I appreciate when people are good members of the community - if you do business here please respect your surroundings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 11:19 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,195,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_Her_CC_Q4 View Post
Oh this is a bit off the original topic but with regard to Peartree Plaza...I have give them credit, they are fixing up the parking lot. I just passed by there last night. The potholes are fixed and parking spots/lines are freshly painted. Also I think they handled the replacement of overhead lamps. If they fixed up the façade and put a bit of simple landscaping I would have absolutely no complaints about the property management company/owner. I appreciate when people are good members of the community - if you do business here please respect your surroundings.
Forget about Peartree that whole section back there by the car wash and the Taco Bell and the shelter is a mess. It reminds me of the end of the earth. Very dreary. That whole area needs development. They should get rid of that bus depot.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:00 AM

954 posts, read 938,650 times
Co-op City's future:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq_sTqC-S1I

Old 07-24-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Hahaha you wish, nice try. Too expensive to drive piles to bedrock for a pool on top of a marsh. Even a small backyard pool would cost an extra 20-50k just for this. Never gonna happen. You got a better chance rallying the city to build one in Pelham Bay Park or on Orchard Beach. And again.....ain't gonna happen anytime this century, sorry.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Forget about Peartree that whole section back there by the car wash and the Taco Bell and the shelter is a mess. It reminds me of the end of the earth. Very dreary. That whole area needs development. They should get rid of that bus depot.
I agree but unfortunately, the current zoning and local political BS allow this to continue. The Taco Bell actually looks decent, the building is nice and modern and has a bit of character. And as much as I hate f'ing self storage buildings the one that they built back there looks good as well. The area is industrial as it it has been for decades. The bus depot consolidated and sold off some of the land it had. But closing it or any of the industrial/auto/recycling business near there will not happen. The entire area would have to be rezoned and where would these businesses move? The larger issue is that the area gets dumped on (i.e. shelter, ugly cheap attached rowhouse developments, city selling off our parkland and green spaces at an alarming rate). I guarantee you that if more people would pressure our local officials and also the property managers of these retail strips things would change. It has happened in many other once blighted areas that are now starting to turn around. They will do what people allow them to. Maybe once Riverbay/Co-op City kicks out all the illegal subletters then things will begin to change. If people knew better they would do better! Sadly the BS has been happening for so long that there is a lot of apathy toward things in the area.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Hahaha you wish, nice try. Too expensive to drive piles to bedrock for a pool on top of a marsh. Even a small backyard pool would cost an extra 20-50k just for this. Never gonna happen. You got a better chance rallying the city to build one in Pelham Bay Park or on Orchard Beach. And again.....ain't gonna happen anytime this century, sorry.
Riverbay should build a pool or community center in the park area behind the fire station. I don't think anyone uses that and it's perfect sized for a pool and it probably wouldn't be as expensive as doing it on the coastline of the Long Island sound. Either that, or this new public park should have a pool. Haffen park is the closest pool and is again way to far. Although the NIMBY minority on the board would have a fit if CTSAH and the City went forward with this. That said I disagree I think the city would totally pay for a pool in the new waterfront park. Riverbay on the other hand would not.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Riverbay should build a pool or community center in the park area behind the fire station. I don't think anyone uses that and it's perfect sized for a pool and it probably wouldn't be as expensive as doing it on the coastline of the Long Island sound. Either that, or this new public park should have a pool. Haffen park is the closest pool and is again way to far. Although the NIMBY minority on the board would have a fit if CTSAH and the City went forward with this. That said I disagree I think the city would totally pay for a pool in the new waterfront park. Riverbay on the other hand would not.
Riverbay should but won't. Same thing with air rights - they will never do anything with. Back many years ago through a program called YAC, residents in Co-op City were able to use the pools, weight room and gyms, dance studios etc. at Truman HS. They even had classes for different things you could sign up for. That became a thing of the past though. The Truman HS pools were sitting unused for years - see below directly from Truman HS website:

"When it was built, the school housed two indoor swimming pools. An Olympic-sized competition pool, which had been closed since 1995 due to rotting pipes, was renovated and reopened in January, 2012. An adjacent shallow training pool, also in disrepair, was not fixed due to a lack of sufficient funds. It is now hidden from view behind a wall built during the renovation".

Riverbay has no money for a pool because we are on marsh you would have to go down to bedrock with the piles and the added cost of this makes the project too costly. Also the complex has a lot of people, how would they even manage this - a reservation system? I can't imagine what a **** show this would be. Or how big of a pool they would need to build LOL

If the city wanted to build a pool it would build it in Pelham Bay Park or Ochard Beach - they currently have funds earmarked for capital improvement projects but nothing of this nature or cost. Hafen pool is within walking distance and it's rarely crowded. I am interested to know what makes you say that the city would totally pay for it? I mean that would be great I just don't see it happening from what I know. However, I certainly do not know every last detail of the budget and what has been allocated for Parks projects. Would love to know more

Old 07-25-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Riverbay should but won't. Same thing with air rights - they will never do anything with. Back many years ago through a program called YAC, residents in Co-op City were able to use the pools, weight room and gyms, dance studios etc. at Truman HS. They even had classes for different things you could sign up for. That became a thing of the past though. The Truman HS pools were sitting unused for years - see below directly from Truman HS website:

"When it was built, the school housed two indoor swimming pools. An Olympic-sized competition pool, which had been closed since 1995 due to rotting pipes, was renovated and reopened in January, 2012. An adjacent shallow training pool, also in disrepair, was not fixed due to a lack of sufficient funds. It is now hidden from view behind a wall built during the renovation".
Riverbay has talked about bring back this program, but so far has had only limited success. It should be aggressively demanded by the board. Truman HS is actually built on Co-op City Land that was ceded to the city. Politicians and mayors have been egregiously out of touch with the needs of co-op city for decades because co-op city residents will vote for them regardless. What has Andy King done for the community for instance? What has any of the last 5 mayors done? The answer is zero because they take the community for granted, and the community has no alternative option. Time to run independent co-op city residents on the ballot against democrats.

Quote:
Riverbay has no money for a pool because we are on marsh you would have to go down to bedrock with the piles and the added cost of this makes the project too costly. Also the complex has a lot of people, how would they even manage this - a reservation system? I can't imagine what a **** show this would be. Or how big of a pool they would need to build LOL
I think your overthinking it. All we would need is a Olympic size outdoor pool. By ceding the land to the city for the expressed purpose of a park, the city would pick up the costs of construction

Quote:
If the city wanted to build a pool it would build it in Pelham Bay Park or Ochard Beach - they currently have funds earmarked for capital improvement projects but nothing of this nature or cost. Hafen pool is within walking distance and it's rarely crowded. I am interested to know what makes you say that the city would totally pay for it? I mean that would be great I just don't see it happening from what I know. However, I certainly do not know every last detail of the budget and what has been allocated for Parks projects. Would love to know more
De Blasio seems determined to give co-op this park to secure votes for his re-election since he has done absolutely nothing else for the community in his four years.

If the community came together and vigorously demanded a pool, I'm sure the city would agree. They are already planning on holding town halls to ask the community what the community wants. Most likely they will agree to build the most popular item requested at these town halls

My vision for the space would be a full-stop community center with rooftop pool and BBQ area similar to Riverbank State Park. I think that would be amazing, but could only happen if the community demands it

The people who want a dog park are dumb. That's cheap and easy to build for the city. Besides why would you waste prime waterfront on dogs? We should demand better

Old 07-26-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Riverbay has talked about bring back this program, but so far has had only limited success. It should be aggressively demanded by the board. Truman HS is actually built on Co-op City Land that was ceded to the city. Politicians and mayors have been egregiously out of touch with the needs of co-op city for decades because co-op city residents will vote for them regardless. What has Andy King done for the community for instance? What has any of the last 5 mayors done? The answer is zero because they take the community for granted, and the community has no alternative option. Time to run independent co-op city residents on the ballot against democrats.

I think your overthinking it. All we would need is a Olympic size outdoor pool. By ceding the land to the city for the expressed purpose of a park, the city would pick up the costs of construction

De Blasio seems determined to give co-op this park to secure votes for his re-election since he has done absolutely nothing else for the community in his four years.

If the community came together and vigorously demanded a pool, I'm sure the city would agree. They are already planning on holding town halls to ask the community what the community wants. Most likely they will agree to build the most popular item requested at these town halls

My vision for the space would be a full-stop community center with rooftop pool and BBQ area similar to Riverbank State Park. I think that would be amazing, but could only happen if the community demands it

The people who want a dog park are dumb. That's cheap and easy to build for the city. Besides why would you waste prime waterfront on dogs? We should demand better
Having a bit of an issue with my phone so I apologize for replying and not quoting each part.

Riverbay talks a lot. Let me see them fix the derelict shopping centers and community room/spaces first. They finally renovated the WELL USED basketball courts after a million years. Hopefully Douglas Elliman will help get this place in order (and also avoid more costly litigation against Riverbay).

What has the community done for itself is really the question. Taken for granted or is it apathy and not knowing how/caring to get things done? I know people who lived here when it was brand new and I can tell you they had better community involvement and knew how to organize and get certain things done back then. Just like YOU said - THEY vote for these politicians regardless, and that says a lot.

The residents should have been outraged when members of the board were steering bids and getting kickbacks. They should have been outraged when the Larry Seabrook scandal broke out, they should be mad as hell that they no longer have many of the amenities that were once part of living here. They should be pissed at the DHCR. Taxpayers should be livid that this subsidized middle income ML asset has been run into the ground and managed like a low-income property. What about all those years that they were taking bribes to move people onto or up the waiting list? Have you seen any of the State Inspector General’s reports? They are scathing. Co-op City cannot blame things solely on others. And while they should pursue a community partnership with the local HS – the land nor the schools belong to them so the fact that the land was once part of Co-op City’s parcel is now useless. They sold it!

Overthinking it? Haha I can guarantee you I’m NOT! The cost to build on marshland is exorbitant. Do you happen to be in the construction industry? Because a private backyard pool that is not even Olympic size would cost an extra 50k just to drive the piles to bedrock for the foundation. The city could much easier/cost effectively construct a pool in Pelham Bay Park or Orchard Beach (where it would serve the “public” better as it’s more accessible via transit). This is a public Park remember….do you think the residents here want tons of people coming to a pool on a small strip of land which is Adjacent to our buildings? Maybe some do but, I know I hear complaints now about all the extra traffic in the area. Have you seen what Orchard Beach looks like on a busy day? This pool that you propose would be for all people not solely Co-op. This city is renowned for not completing projects for years and/or reneging on promises. So good luck with that one. We also have another park in Co-op that no one here cares about. The city sold off lots little by little and the park which has tons of rare plants is sitting neglected. Also when was the last time the city replaced the dead trees on the boulevard? Or the in the greenstreets plots near Connor Street? Maybe the residents like dead trees. Seems like it would be easy to accomplish a replacement of dead trees, no?

DeBlasio LOL I will keep my comments off this forum ‘cause that guy (ROLLS EYES) ……..

Again, not sure anyone is going to come “save” Co-op City until the people who live in the complex decide to save themselves. Maybe once the illegal subletters are evicted things will change. There are too many subletters and people who are not interested in anything but their cheap maintenance payment. Look at the new housing that is built near the area. Most of it is ugly attached rowhouses, cheap, dreary, no character. Where’s the protest? Other areas are getting nice looking development projects. Why the ugly crap here? Look at what I stated about Peartree – in other areas it would NOT be tolerated. It boils down to what one will accept. It’s one factor that differentiates a nice area from a bad area. We all know what bad areas look like…. garbage, broken stuff, cheap ugly residential development. Sometimes the worst prison is one’s own mind I guess. You are right WE should demand better but are WE the minority in this thinking?

Oh they are asking for a dog park? I was not aware. Most nicer neighborhoods are filled with animal lovers and do usually have dog runs/dog parks. In fact - people might find it to be an icebreaker to socialize and possibly make new friends. Only support dogs are allowed in Co-op city, so I could see a dog park as a great place for people especially those in the community with disabilities and/or social anxiety. I don’t think it would be a waste at all. As far as a community center and pool and BBQ for the public basically IN Co-op City I cannot say I share your vision. I would really like to see the community get things for its residents.

So if this park MUST be public (and IT must be), I vote for a quiet nature preserve type of park with a garden for the visually impaired, observation deck (to watch the wildlife – as across from this new park is a protected area), benches, walkways and possibly a small dog park. There are two ways the complex could go, I'd prefer to see it flourish as a middle income working class community. I wish we had cafes with outdoor seating and coffee shops, a juice bar and health food store but, I doubt it will ever happen.

LOL and please I mean no offense to you or anyone else. I just get pretty annoyed that we don't have nicer stuff here and it's because of so many stupid reasons.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City