Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 04:18 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

IMO, nothing. I love New York City exactly as it is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 04:18 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,627,477 times
- A cleaner and more efficient subway system
- Restructuring of the city's public housing into more scattered site, mixed-income communities
- Cleaning up and renovation of public beach facilities
- Streetscape improvements that include more pedestrian-only streets

Old 07-08-2017, 04:50 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,217,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Some light rail would be cool. Not that it'd necessarily be practical (although it could). I just love the mass transit network in New York. Having some streetcars line it's busy grid would make the big apple that much more iconic, just as is the case in Toronto.

That and lowering the CoL a bit so I could afford to live there would be nice.
We don't need any of that. It'll just be stuck in traffic the whole time.

Deblasio is actually trying to get a Brooklyn/Queens cross-island streetcar thing setup. A lot of people find this project unnecessary though as much of the route is parallel to the G train and also closeby. It might happen, but I'm not sure if it actually will since it's pretty unpopular among Brooklyn and Queens residents. If it does happen, I predict it to become mainly a tourist thing. I think at the very least it'll accelerate the buildup of the waterfront in some underdeveloped parts of BK and Queens.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broo...eens_Connector
https://www.nycedc.com/project/brook...-connector-bqx
I just have a hard time imagining people choosing to take this over the subway. Even if the G doesn't work for you, worst case scenario you just have to ride another train through Manhattan. Also im pretty sure there are multiple buses that serve similar routes.

We are not really a light rail city. What we need is more subways in the boroughs not named Manhattan. Something like this would be great if they could make it work:

Triboro Line map | Regional Plan Association

I think having a subway go to Randall's Island would be really interesting and convenient too since there are so many big events that go on there and it's kind of annoying to get on and off that island (especially off after a music fest).
I would also love if we could have a subway go to City Island, but then it might lose its small town feel which is what I love about it.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:23 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Better transportation and infrastructure, Florida like indoor attractions

Old 07-09-2017, 10:24 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
As a New Yorker, I vote for reasonable housing costs.
This above all else.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:37 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Public boat launches that allow jetskis.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:56 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
I'd suggest:

1. Better bus system (you're right that ours isn't bad, but still leaves a lot to be desired and all changes are bad ones)

and

2. Some set-up that would tamp down landlord greed, which these days is resulting in food deserts, the demise of mom-and-pop businesses, the drain of incoming talent, and the continuing rise of inequality.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:33 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
NYC has way more compare to other communities. The one thing that NYC lack of is decent heart of a human being. I am not saying NYC doesn't have anyone with good heartor good intention, but overall the feeling that I get is people only lookout for themselves. They don't consider about others.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:28 PM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
NYC needs to update/upgrade its public transportation system to the 21st century!

Old 07-09-2017, 05:37 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
New York City's public transportation, the subway in particular, is woefully overcrowded and outdated. Yes, the system is 24/7 (unlike its peer cities'), which makes upgrading it difficult. But that's not good enough of an excuse, especially when you purport to be the capital of the world. The money is there, the innovation is there--it's the political leadership that is incompetent. Governor Cuomo runs the MTA, yet passes the buck. The 2nd Ave Subway took decades and over a billion dollars for only a few miles. The new WTC PATH station also cost billions, along with the adjacent Fulton Center. The recurring theme here is way overpriced projects for non-transformative items.

NYC, more than anything else, needs to quickly modernize its subway system. Add glass platform doors, add more cars, upgrade the signals technology, improve on time rates, have WiFi/electronic scheduling in every station, and increase service.
The subway does actually have great (meaning low) wait times when it's running properly. Even at 4AM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: