Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 10:21 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times

Advertisements

OP must be an owl or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 10:29 AM

2,466 posts, read 2,764,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You don't think so? Most 1br apartments in Pelham Bay are going for $1600 now. Compare that to Riverdale prices for 1br apartments that start at $1795 and go up, so for $200 more or so, can live in Riverdale - likely North Riverdale, but still Riverdale nonetheless. $1600 for one person... Would have to make $64,000. Am not sure what you're thinking of, but the median income is only around $60,000 and that is not for one person.
I know several people who have moved into/around Pelham Bay. The only one paying more than $1300 for a 1/1 is the one living in a two family home. The rest are in the scattered apartment buildings off Crosby and are still under $1300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Whether or not it's market rate, from my perspective (which is skewed for a number of reasons that I've mentioned), $1700 for a 1 bedroom IS ridiculous in Pelham Bay. To me, that's determined by whether or not I would pay that. I wouldn't. But, if people will, then the landlord is probably doing fine.
Unfortunately, rents are rising quickly in TN, CC & PB. Someone we know just rented one of the 1/1 townhouses on Schurz for $1,700.00

Old 07-17-2017, 10:39 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
I know several people who have moved into/around Pelham Bay. The only one paying more than $1300 for a 1/1 is the one living in a two family home. The rest are in the scattered apartment buildings off Crosby and are still under $1300.

Unfortunately, rents are rising quickly in TN, CC & PB. Someone we know just rented one of the 1/1 townhouses on Schurz for $1,700.00
Those are likely in older buildings and not renovated. A lot of apartment buildings in Pelham Bay are rather old and not appealing IMO.

Even in CC, I was appalled at what you get for $1500 - 1600. Likely in a home that features decor from the 70's or 80's.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Those are likely in older buildings and not renovated. A lot of apartment buildings in Pelham Bay are rather old and not appealing IMO.

Even in CC, I was appalled at what you get for $1500 - 1600. Likely in a home that features decor from the 70's or 80's.
Honestly, having grown up in an apartment building in TN, I really don't care about things being renovated/modern. As long as it's functional I don't care if it's original to the building. That and a responsive super and landlord.

Most of what gets rented in CC (having lived there for close to 10 years) is generally someone's basement apartment or someone trying to get by renting out an apartment in their 2 family home.

Much of CC is older construction with people who have been there basically since the house went up.
They don't see the need to renovate what's perfectly functional despite being 30, 50, 70 years old. Or simply can't afford to. In the newer construction, like Liz, I think the asking prices are absolutely absurd. For slightly more I can pay my own mortgage rather than the landlord's.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:50 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Honestly, having grown up in an apartment building in TN, I really don't care about things being renovated/modern. As long as it's functional I don't care if it's original to the building. That and a responsive super and landlord.

Most of what gets rented in CC (having lived there for close to 10 years) is generally someone's basement apartment or someone trying to get by renting out an apartment in their 2 family home.

Much of CC is older construction with people who have been there basically since the house went up.
They don't see the need to renovate what's perfectly functional despite being 30, 50, 70 years old. Or simply can't afford to. In the newer construction, like Liz, I think the asking prices are absolutely absurd. For slightly more I can pay my own mortgage rather than the landlord's.
Thing is people moving the Bronx *WILL* care, which is why a lot of places are being renovated to maximize profit. Who is going to pay $1600-1700 for an apartment stuck in a time warp?

Old 07-18-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Thing is people moving the Bronx *WILL* care, which is why a lot of places are being renovated to maximize profit. Who is going to pay $1600-1700 for an apartment stuck in a time warp?
Plenty of people. When my parents moved out of their apartment 2.5 years ago it was rented for $1600 to the next tenant. The only thing done was some paint on the walls. My parents took wonderful care of the apartment for the 38 years they lived there. So what that the kitchen counter was Formica? It was a first floor apartment with a and water view. Higher floors rent for several hundred a month more in the building.

The building has a several years long wait list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City