Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 10:15 PM

209 posts, read 253,556 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to curiously know if anyone knows how it is like to get around in Staten Island.

Can you get around without a car or is having a car a big must in order to get around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 11:06 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Yes, you can get around SI without owning a motor vehicle; plenty of people manage. Is it convenient? Easy? That is up to you to decide.

There is taxi service (the type you call and they come and pick-up), buses, the SIRT (ferry along Bay Street then out to the South Shore only), walking, biking, etc....

Then there is the ever popular "can I get a ride?"; bumming a lift.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:43 AM

783 posts, read 576,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2016 View Post
I just wanted to curiously know if anyone knows how it is like to get around in Staten Island.

Can you get around without a car or is having a car a big must in order to get around?
You can, but I don't know if it is ideal. If you're used to taking public transportation on a daily basis, it shouldn't be an issue, but if you are not, it could get old pretty quickly. Here are maps of the public transportation in Staten Island.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/bussi.pdf

MTA/New York City Transit Staten Island Railway Map
Attached Thumbnails
Can You Get Around In Staten Island Without A Car?-si-bus.png   Can You Get Around In Staten Island Without A Car?-si-rail.png  

Old 07-16-2017, 06:40 AM

43,641 posts, read 44,361,055 times
It probably depends on where you want to go on Staten Island.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:51 AM

19,036 posts, read 13,948,655 times
I did it when I was a kid. Wouldn't think about it for a second now.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:32 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,196,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I did it when I was a kid. Wouldn't think about it for a second now.
The city bus system has been in decline for ever. They've done studies that show it gets slower and slower. For some reason they have also been cutting lines and frequency of buses which makes the problem even worse.

The MTA has tried to introduce SBS and Express Bus service but I'm not sure that's made a real change.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:56 AM

329 posts, read 299,291 times
And Maybe. Ms. M. Wants to be mayor?

Old 07-16-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
The city bus system has been in decline for ever. They've done studies that show it gets slower and slower. For some reason they have also been cutting lines and frequency of buses which makes the problem even worse.

The MTA has tried to introduce SBS and Express Bus service but I'm not sure that's made a real change.

Problem with bus service on SI is same as motor vehicle in general; you are dealing in most cases with streets/roads that were laid out one hundred or more years ago; things thus are what they are and the increase in traffic on the Rock (yes, I said it), hasn't helped.

Take Richmond Terrace. In my day there were few lights on that twisting road and you could make good time in a bus or whatever even during the day because traffic wasn't that bad. Have heard now it can take nearly an hour to get from Mariners Harbor to the Ferry by bus at certain times of day.

Same thing with all the major roads on SI; Victory Blvd, Hylan Blvd, Forest Avenue, Castleton Avenue, Clove Road, Broadway, Bay Street, Richmond Avenue etc...

It used to be that if traffic was bad on the SIE you could get off and take shortcuts/service roads. Now that everyone and their mother knows those routes they usually aren't that much faster at certain times of day either.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2016 View Post

Does this answer your question?

Getting your way around Staten Island via mass transit | SILive.com

Old 07-16-2017, 05:47 PM

19,036 posts, read 13,948,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post

Buses never work out best for long trips because they're still at the whims of traffic, even with the special lanes. SI needs more train service, or buses running on dedicated roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City