Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 10:39 PM

6 posts, read 4,028 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I hope this question doesn't come across "dumb" or anything. But this will be my first trip to NY and I will have 2 carry on bags when I get off the train and I want your opinion. Which would be a better safer option for me? Walking to my stay or taking a cab. According to Google Maps my stay is a 19 minute walk from Penn, but I don't want to be a vulnerable tourist and hitting people with my bags on the street (and the risk of someone taking my luggage), plus doing all that walking with those heavy bags. Also, which exit would be better for me to catch a cab? I am staying within the neighborhood (going to East 34th). I will be arriving at night around 8-9ish pm. The address is 200 east 34th st
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 11:07 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mode324 View Post
Hey guys, I hope this question doesn't come across "dumb" or anything. But this will be my first trip to NY and I will have 2 carry on bags when I get off the train and I want your opinion. Which would be a better safer option for me? Walking to my stay or taking a cab. According to Google Maps my stay is a 19 minute walk from Penn, but I don't want to be a vulnerable tourist and hitting people with my bags on the street (and the risk of someone taking my luggage), plus doing all that walking with those heavy bags. Also, which exit would be better for me to catch a cab? I am staying within the neighborhood (going to East 34th). I will be arriving at night around 8-9ish pm. The address is 200 east 34th st
You could walk but it seems like you will be more comfortable taking a cab. So...just take a cab.

I don't really think you need to worry about people taking your luggage from you when presumably you will be holding on to it! NYC is not as scary as you think.

Just take the cab to the hotel, get settled in, and then go back out for a walk after you put your bags away. I'm sure you will be more comfortable walking around without the bags.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:33 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Agree. Take a taxi. The walk is perfectly safe, but won't be fun if it's hot and humid. Alternative; get a Metrocard and ride crosstown on 34th street on the M34 to 3rd ave. It's a straight shot. Consider this if it seems like there's no empty taxi in sight.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:14 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Agree. Take a taxi. The walk is perfectly safe, but won't be fun if it's hot and humid. Alternative; get a Metrocard and ride crosstown on 34th street on the M34 to 3rd ave. It's a straight shot. Consider this if it seems like there's no empty taxi in sight.
I too think the bus is a good alternative and much cheaper than a taxi.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:05 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Walking is fine. I work right there and in the summer I like to walk from my office at 33rd and 7th to the L train at 1st and 14th. Almost everyone in that area is a tourist. I also don't think it will take you 19 minutes to walk that far. To me the "scariest" part of this whole journey is being in penn station, which isn't scary at all just crowded. Oh and no one wants your luggage. Although there have been times I have wanted to throw people's luggage across the street from walking slow and zig zagging.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:45 AM

282 posts, read 575,493 times
The easiest thing is a cab--luggage can be awkward if the bus is crowded and 34th is always crowded so walking with luggage would be a pain. There is a taxi stand on 7th but since you are going straight across town you want to be on 34th Street, facing east (towards the Empire State building) to hail a cab. What day of the week are you coming? That actually could make a difference in catching a cab/crowds.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
It's .6 miles...I'd walk it.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:02 AM

6 posts, read 4,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox17 View Post
The easiest thing is a cab--luggage can be awkward if the bus is crowded and 34th is always crowded so walking with luggage would be a pain. There is a taxi stand on 7th but since you are going straight across town you want to be on 34th Street, facing east (towards the Empire State building) to hail a cab. What day of the week are you coming? That actually could make a difference in catching a cab/crowds.
this upcoming tuesday

Old 06-25-2015, 08:29 AM

89 posts, read 150,853 times
If you have wheels on any of your bags, you could walk it. I measured it to be about a mile so you're looking at 10-15 minutes once you get out of Penn Station. But...if you don't? I'd say hop yourself into a cab and don't worry about it. It might as long as walking because you're going cross town but if you're lugging two bags with you, it will be worth it.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:31 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,606 times
Take a cab - it's going to be hot and humid and you're not exactly sure where you're going (although walking straight down 34th, it will be hard to get lost). A cab will only be a couple of bucks. Get yourself settled in before you start walking/exploring. The bus is a good option, but if you're not familiar, might be stressful (have to get a metrocard, buy your fare before getting on, etc).

Oh, and as someone who works in the area and is driven to madness by tourists and their suitcases, you'll be one less suitcase on the street
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: