Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 04:50 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times

Advertisements

Interesting take on the recent noise about dog walking apps (and the City going to war over them), as it could relate to the traditional industry.

https://www.westsiderag.com/2017/08/...comment-352922
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 05:57 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,899 times
Maybe for some, but I will ONLY allow my dog to be walked with someone not affiliated with the sharing industry. I am going to get flack for having a dog walker consider i've been so vocal about being food-insecure these days and overburdened on rent. I had a few people tell me to give up my dog. um no. not gonna happen. My dog is the ONLY family I have. Dog walkers can make good money! With tech disruption it will just be a free for all of people climbing to the bottom for scraps, like what tech has done to many industries. The big fat dorks at the top make millions and then they let everyone live like we live in ant colonies. So no. No ethical dog owner would allow such a thing.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:17 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,007,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Maybe for some, but I will ONLY allow my dog to be walked with someone not affiliated with the sharing industry. I am going to get flack for having a dog walker consider i've been so vocal about being food-insecure these days and overburdened on rent. I had a few people tell me to give up my dog. um no. not gonna happen. My dog is the ONLY family I have. Dog walkers can make good money! With tech disruption it will just be a free for all of people climbing to the bottom for scraps, like what tech has done to many industries. The big fat dorks at the top make millions and then they let everyone live like we live in ant colonies. So no. No ethical dog owner would allow such a thing.
Probably you should be a part-time dog walker then as that will provide some extra income. And YES I think it's stupid to claim you're food insecure and struggling YET you are paying for these services. **PRIORITIES**

Old 08-03-2017, 07:20 PM

quote:
**PRIORITIES**
Learn the meaning of the word before you throw it around as an insult. Like I said. My dog = My ONLY family.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:24 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
Probably you should be a part-time dog walker then as that will provide some extra income. And YES I think it's stupid to claim you're food insecure and struggling YET you are paying for these services. **PRIORITIES**
Obviously the man has *lots* of advice and can run his mouth or whatever, but can't practice what he preaches.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:37 PM

yes. OBVIOUSLY.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:48 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,007,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Obviously the man has *lots* of advice and can run his mouth or whatever, but can't practice what he preaches.
He does and then he comes here and lashes out against other people, especially successful people and those whom he believes are preventing him from winning his golden ticket to stability (an affordable housing apartment).

Where do you see struggling people paying for a dog walker? lol.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:03 PM

quote:
Where do you see struggling people paying for a dog walker? lol.

Where do you see struggling people paying for daycare/childcare? OH THAT'S RIGHT! people's taxes! You're going to hate on people who's only family is a damn dog who has to work full time? You don't even know half of it. I work my ass off just to keep my dog. And yeah it means I will eat just one meal a day (ramen) if it means I can make her happy and provide a decent life for her. You are cruel. I find it crazy that people think low income people can't have pets. Newsflash, pets keep some low income people from offing themselves.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:09 PM

And having a pet keeps some people from totally giving up on life. It means they HAVE to provide for a being other than themselves. It could be a dog, a fish, a cat, whatever. Sadly, many times it's another human being that will perpetuate the cycle of poverty. Your taxes are lucky for me it's just a dog. It's 11 dollars a day M-F. I don't eat breakfast, I don't eat Lunch. I never eat out, I never go on vacations. that money goes to my BFF. Which is a dog. Sad... right?

Old 08-03-2017, 10:42 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
And having a pet keeps some people from totally giving up on life. It means they HAVE to provide for a being other than themselves. It could be a dog, a fish, a cat, whatever. Sadly, many times it's another human being that will perpetuate the cycle of poverty. Your taxes are lucky for me it's just a dog. It's 11 dollars a day M-F. I don't eat breakfast, I don't eat Lunch. I never eat out, I never go on vacations. that money goes to my BFF. Which is a dog. Sad... right?
$11/ day is pretty cheap for a dog walker.

People sometimes treat their pets better than they do themselves so I'm not judging too harshly. However, if your're really at a point where your only daily meal is ramen, then you have a serious problem that you need to address, and you need to stop blaming the world for these problems - which you do a lot of on this forum. Getting a second job, even if it's some crappy minimum wage job, will go a long way towards supplementing your income, especially for food. On the food thread people gave a lot of good advice at how to eat better for cheap or free. Have you tried any of those things yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City