Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 10:26 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,934 times

Advertisements

Just saw this on the news last night and it caught our attention since we have a 2yr old and we just moved to the Brier Creek area. But maybe I'm not understanding the fuss.

Isn't this a positive as now there will be two schools with two options (traditional, year round) serving Brier Creek area and not like the new proposed school is that far. It's just down the road from the current Brier Creek ES and new is always good!

Parents of Brier Creek Elementary students upset by proposal to switch schools | abc11.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 10:37 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
People like to get upset. Especially when it has to do with school.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:43 AM

People like to complain in general, but more so if it affects their kids. =)

Old 01-29-2015, 10:58 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
I always find it interesting that the parents make a fuss.

Most kids don't care as long as some of their friends are going to the new school. The kids that get upset do so because the parents have led them to believe that changing to a different school is something to get upset about.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:40 AM

715 posts, read 889,246 times
I would be more concerned with the cost overruns to build new schools and the tax hikes that will most likely follow. There is quite a mess brewing and how it turns out I guess we will see.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:41 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Oh, good grief. They'll get a new school building out of it. Unless it's really far away, I think they all need to quit whining.

Kids DO NOT CARE.

They just go wherever you send them. Especially in elementary school. They've made new friends before lunchtime.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalRed View Post
I would be more concerned with the cost overruns to build new schools and the tax hikes that will most likely follow. There is quite a mess brewing and how it turns out I guess we will see.
That is a far more valid point that worry over whether or not kids care about which school they attend when they're 7 years old.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

Most kids don't care as long as some of their friends are going to the new school. The kids that get upset do so because the parents have led them to believe that changing to a different school is something to get upset about.
You and I have agreed. We do that sometimes, but let us hope that this time it causes a huge snowstorm.

On a day when you don't have to go out driving, naturally.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:36 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

Yes, I grew up on Long Island, that bastion of wonderful stable school districts and despite never moving went to three different elementary schools. I survived because my parents didn't make a federal case out of it.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:01 PM

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm glad it's not only me thinking it's much ado about nothing.
I am curious though how do they separate which students in the brier creek area go to which school.
For example, would they break up the country club subdivision?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary