Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 06:11 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Oh my.
That's putting it a bit strongly, no? ("blight", etc?)
I won't allow my wife to go to that parking lot alone with the kids due to how certain stores' patrons drive and act. They'll literally walk right into you as if you aren't there. Kids, women, doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
chances are you live in a neighborhood full of prescription drug addicted guidos
Nope. 👍🏻

It's actually the "richer" neighborhoods bearing the brunt of that one.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well then be glad these people who might fly other flags aren't moving into your neighborhood. You don't want to see all that and hear other languages, so be happy they apparently aren't jumping up and down to be with you.

Though Black servicemen who fought for this country where denied full GI benefits, and you couldn't have been any more assimilated than them. They were Christian, spoke only English and still screwed and not given the full rights of Americans.

Why would anyone bother to assimilate in an all "American" neighborhood, with all that implies? I think the white neo confederates who were marching in Viriginia and Seattle don't approve of that kind of stuff. You know, the ones wishing the confederacy had won the war, and who just LOVE the US before the 60s.

Racial issues aside, you hate people because of this or that, and just want to lock people up in jail, so if you are representative of SI why in good's name would anyone want to assimilate with that. Your neighborhood is for YOUR people, with all that implies.
Nothing in this post applies to anything I said.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Many 1st generation and 2nd generation American born citizens of Italy, Ireland and Germany were not taught to speak in their native tongue.
Of my two nationalities, not one person in the generation before mine was taught a word of either language. As my one grandfather used to say bluntly: "You don't need it."

Old 08-14-2017, 06:31 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
My mental response is always the same: If your "homeland" was so worth celebrating, why the f**k don't you go back there. My Ukrainian ancestry goes back to the Civil War...Austrian side came over 100 years ago. I celebrate neither.

Weekend parades are much less annoying this year because with the Second Avenue Q-train. I rarely take buses anymore. It was a chore to get detoured in a bus by a parade nearly every weekend all Summer.
Why not? The USA was built on immigrants. A parade happens once a year. I feel like people want to be angry at the most trivial s***!

Old 08-14-2017, 07:20 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Many cultures/nations have invented nothing and contributed jack to the world. So a parade is one of the only things they actually have to be proud about, other than the occasional breakout athlete. So let them have a parade. Why the mean-spiritedness?

Old 08-14-2017, 08:26 AM

123 posts, read 103,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Many cultures/nations have invented nothing and contributed jack to the world. So a parade is one of the only things they actually have to be proud about, other than the occasional breakout athlete. So let them have a parade. Why the mean-spiritedness?
Hate speech in the U.K. You would be arrested

Old 08-14-2017, 09:54 AM

123 posts, read 103,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Also I know a Dominican who was valedictorian in a very white school and goes to a top three Ivy League school. You probably haven't achieved either.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:08 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
FYI:

- German-American Steuben Parade New York

I have no objections to German-American parades and will not discriminate against other nationalities doing the same, as long as they do not break the law.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Nothing in this post applies to anything I said.
Actually take that back. It proves the truth of my first post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City