Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 09:26 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,425,302 times

Advertisements

I just finished the book today.

Native NYer 1969 until 2015. I couldn't take it anymore.

Jeramiah Moss chronicles my 10 years of misery and the demise of NYC. Verification that I did the right thing by getting the F out of there and moving to San Diego / Mexico.

I still read the NY Post everday, just for laughs.

My body will return to NYC when I pass away but until then it needs to change drastically befor I ever move back there.

Thanks for the recommendation.

By the way....it will happen to most great cities eventually....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 04:44 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I just finished the book today.

Native NYer 1969 until 2015. I couldn't take it anymore.

Jeramiah Moss chronicles my 10 years of misery and the demise of NYC. Verification that I did the right thing by getting the F out of there and moving to San Diego / Mexico.

I still read the NY Post everday, just for laughs.

My body will return to NYC when I pass away but until then it needs to change drastically befor I ever move back there.

Thanks for the recommendation.

By the way....it will happen to most great cities eventually....
Not necessarily. There were very specific reasons it happened to NYC that won't necessarily replicate in other cities. NYC went from an industrial city to a city aimed at tourists, students, business people and others with short term stays.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:42 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,655,549 times
And a very nice review:

By the 2000s, he writes, the color and warmth of New York were “rapidly draining from the city, replaced by something dull and cold. Where there had been gruff affability, there is chilly disdain. Where there had been mutual recognition, there is disregard. And that famed rudeness of New Yorkers, really a combination of urban impatience and healthy suspicion, has been replaced with the icy aura of contempt. It’s as if your best friend, that warm, funny, irreverent person, went away to summer camp, hung out with all the wrong people, and came back mean.”

https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/08...nvisible-city/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City