Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was it correct to FIRE him?
Yes 38 88.37%
No 3 6.98%
Not sure 2 4.65%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 06:04 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,006,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
An NYPD cop swiped $20 — and it cost him his job.

Now, he’s suing to get it back, arguing he paid too high a price.

Officer Richard Arroyo, 47, filed his federal suit against the NYPD in Manhattan this week, claiming that lying to his fellow officers should not have resulted in his firing.
Disgraced cop, sacked for his $20 fib, sues NYPD - NY Daily News
Seems a little bit extreme to me. What do y'all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 06:32 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
Almost 20 years on the force. Are we to assume this is the first time he stole money? No way. Maybe he was suspected and that's why they ran a sting on him. A cop who thinks nothing of stealing money from suspects probably is dishonest in other aspects of his job.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:33 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
Where is the Union when you need it. Stuff like this are reported to hire up brass by fellow colleagues o the NYPD. NYPD officers must be careful with their colleagues. On the job, police officers must be truthful and have intergrity with the community at large. swiping 20 dollars is no different than swiping 2000 dollars from a bust. A breakage of policy, is a breakage of policy no matter how big the bill or the crime is. Honestly he does not deserve to get fired, but at the same time. I have other things to worry about.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:39 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
Methinks it wasn't his first time stealing. I agree with martin.

If you worked at the Dollar Tree and stole a $20, you'd be fired no problem.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:48 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
There's no way it was the first time he stole. He was suspected of stealing (or known to have stolen) so that's why they went to the trouble of setting up a sting. Why should we feel sorry for him? Sure, if it was one time thing and he stole a $20 to buy himself a cup of coffee and a donut because he happened to forget his wallet that day and he was starving, maybe it's forgivable. But reading between the lines, it's pretty clear he had a pattern of stealing and possibly other dishonest behavior and they set up the sting to get rid of a dishonest cop.

And I agree with poster above. If someone can get fired from Dollar Tree for the same behavior, then yes, they should be fired as a cop as well. In fact, cops should be held to a much higher standard than Dollar Tree employees, and unfortunately we are way too used to seeing them get away with horrible offenses when they shouldn't be able to get away with anything at all!

Old 08-20-2017, 07:53 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
The story says he's being fired just before he's eligible for a pension. That's not entirely accurate. He may be short of the 20 years he needs to get half pay upon retirement, but he is vested in his pension and can start receiving benefits at age 62, like most retirees do. He just can't start receiving his pension while he's in his 40s. The police had a great union to get that perk.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:06 AM

371 posts, read 526,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
On the job, police officers must be truthful and have intergrity with the community at large.
this is true, but how many times has the NYPD gotten away with worse crimes? The guy who shot Ramaly Graham in his own bathroom after chasing him into his home without a warrant (which is illegal and not proper protocol) got off clean. I would be pissed if I was this guy for stealing $20 and he gets sacked. I want to know what his argument is, but I bet it will be, these guys did worse things and are still on the job.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:32 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
He was a year away from retirement. This means he was at or around the 6 figure range as far as salary goes. At this point, if he was stupid enough to risk his job by stealing $20, then yeah he deserved to lose his job. It also means that he more than likely done it before as well.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:42 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
this is true, but how many times has the NYPD gotten away with worse crimes?

That is an appalling excuse.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:11 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
This guy absolutely deserved to be fired! Is he nuts trying to get his job back? Low life. He's getting destroyed on every cop facebook page I've seen. Screw him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: