Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was it correct to FIRE him?
Yes 38 88.37%
No 3 6.98%
Not sure 2 4.65%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 09:13 AM

19,059 posts, read 13,989,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
The story says he's being fired just before he's eligible for a pension. That's not entirely accurate. He may be short of the 20 years he needs to get half pay upon retirement, but he is vested in his pension and can start receiving benefits at age 62, like most retirees do. He just can't start receiving his pension while he's in his 40s. The police had a great union to get that perk.
He gets nothing unless the job allows him to vest. Fired is fired. He'll be lucky to get his contributions back.

FYI, a real vested pension starts at what would have been one's 20th year, not 62 years old. If a cop leaves at 15 years and 36 years old, they start collecting the adjusted pension 5 years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 09:26 AM

371 posts, read 526,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
this is true, but how many times has the NYPD gotten away with worse crimes?

That is an appalling excuse.
exactly what I said and that will be his defense

Old 08-20-2017, 09:39 AM

270 posts, read 145,829 times
Sour grapes from a person who was thisclose to getting his retirement pay. Oh well, such is the price for greed.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:40 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,008,012 times
We all agree that stealing is wrong and foolish and that he may have done it before but I would have expected a fine, docked vacation days or some type of suspension. Surely, if he were a bad cop he wouldn't have been on the force that long. Unless there are other serious transgressions in his personnel file, I don't believe the outcome fit the crime.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:40 AM

954 posts, read 940,487 times
To quote Jason Bateman in ozarks:

"It wasn't the first time, it was the first time she got caught"

Old 08-20-2017, 10:43 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,093,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
He gets nothing unless the job allows him to vest. Fired is fired. He'll be lucky to get his contributions back.

FYI, a real vested pension starts at what would have been one's 20th year, not 62 years old. If a cop leaves at 15 years and 36 years old, they start collecting the adjusted pension 5 years later.
Vested means you can leave the job and you will have pension benefits at some later date. You don't have to work 20 years as a cop to have a vested pension. (Unless you are calling a 20 year retiree at half pay a "real vested pension".) I doubt being fired will cause the cop to lose the benefits he's vested so far, considering cops who have been fired after being convicted of crimes still get their pensions.

Tier 3 - Vested Retirement - New York City Police Pension Fund
Quote:
After five years of uniformed service a member is eligible for vested retirement benefits.
NYSLRS — Are You Vested? And What It Means
Quote:
Once you become vested, you may leave public employment and, at a later date, apply for and receive your retirement benefit. Your vested retirement benefit will be based on service and salary earned when you were an active member.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:53 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,996,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
This guy absolutely deserved to be fired! Is he nuts trying to get his job back? Low life. He's getting destroyed on every cop facebook page I've seen. Screw him.
He should be. He stole from a suspects car? What's next, stealing from victims?

Keeping him only would definitely violate the integrity of the police force. Maybe he would also steal from his colleagues if they aren't paying attention. Stealing is stealing.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,996,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
We all agree that stealing is wrong and foolish and that he may have done it before but I would have expected a fine, docked vacation days or some type of suspension. Surely, if he were a bad cop he wouldn't have been on the force that long. Unless there are other serious transgressions in his personnel file, I don't believe the outcome fit the crime.
Maybe they suspected him of something or their were complaints against him.

It's perfectly legal to fire someone for stealing. Anyone at a private sector job would be fired for stealing. A teacher would be fired for stealing from his/her students. A doctor would lose his or her license for stealing from his/her patients. A lawyer would be disbarred for stealing from his/her clients.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:57 AM

19,059 posts, read 13,989,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Vested means you can leave the job and you will have pension benefits at some later date. You don't have to work 20 years as a cop to have a vested pension. (Unless you are calling a 20 year retiree at half pay a "real vested pension".) I doubt being fired will cause the cop to lose the benefits he's vested so far, considering cops who have been fired after being convicted of crimes still get their pensions.

Tier 3 - Vested Retirement - New York City Police Pension Fund

NYSLRS — Are You Vested? And What It Means
I'm a cop. I know.

People who are fired after 20 get to keep their pension, not prior. And that only for non-felonies and non-job related. Think DWI, misdemeanor domestic etc.

Like I said earlier, you are confusing people who are allowed to vest out with those who are outright fired. The commissioner could allow this cop to vest. He would then receive his pension in a few months when his 20th anniversary rolls around. If he is fired, there is no pension at all as he is short of 20 years and being fired for an on duty incident.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:03 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,254,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
Seems a little bit extreme to me. What do y'all think?
They don't get fired for much worse why should he get fired?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: