Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2017, 06:57 PM

37,233 posts, read 39,498,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
You're not kidding.

Shake Shack has locations overseas in Japan, Russia, South Korea, UK, Kuwait, etc. Also in 18 states plus Washington DC.

Its a massive chain now. Didn't realize it started in 2004. That's a pretty fast expansion.

Five Guys started in Washington DC and Chipotle started in Denver Colorado.
Money still comes into headquarters which is in NYC, so it counts. The previous wave of NYC chains mostly decamped to the South and the Midwest though. It may be that Shake Shack will eventually go that route, but it hasn't so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 08:09 PM

108 posts, read 81,686 times
Quote:
I've never understood the hype. The food is good, but not GREAT...
Where else can you get some food with decent fresh ingredients?
That crown chicken around the corner? Nowadays it's much cheaper to get a decent meal/burger/shake from either chains than your local overpriced chinese/junk food.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:10 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,436,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Money still comes into headquarters which is in NYC, so it counts. The previous wave of NYC chains mostly decamped to the South and the Midwest though. It may be that Shake Shack will eventually go that route, but it hasn't so far.
NYC will always be known as a NYC chain. I certainly don't see it as anything else.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:23 PM

34,126 posts, read 47,349,444 times
The transplants can continue to hit up Chipotle's and Shake Shack's page for likes.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-05-2017, 08:56 PM

37,233 posts, read 39,498,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
NYC will always be known as a NYC chain. I certainly don't see it as anything else.
How many NYC's do you think there'll be?

Old 09-06-2017, 01:34 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,499,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The transplants can continue to hit up Chipotle's and Shake Shack's page for likes.
Plenty of Native New Yorkers eat that stuff

If anything, wouldn't the stereotypical transplants be pretentious hipsters who wouldn't eat at chain places?

Old 09-06-2017, 05:31 AM

782 posts, read 528,153 times
Quote:
You're not kidding.

Shake Shack has locations overseas in Japan, Russia, South Korea, UK, Kuwait, etc. Also in 18 states plus Washington DC.

Its a massive chain now. Didn't realize it started in 2004. That's a pretty fast expansion.

Five Guys started in Washington DC and Chipotle started in Denver Colorado.
Even back in its earlier days, Shake Shack didn't really have that many NYC locations before it started expanding into other areas. 2-3 locations is not a chain to me. It was just a local NYC joint. But then it started opening up locations in many places (both inside and outside NYC), became a bona fide chain, and ceased to be a NYC place to me anymore. And many of the NYC locations in that first wave of expansion were in pretty touristy spots anyway like the theatre district, JFK airport, in dumbo by the brooklyn bridge or in special event areas like Citi Field and Barclays Center. The target audience wasn't really the everyman, but the tourists or people spending money on special events.

I mean, I think it's cool that Shake Shack has NYC roots but the idea that all new yorkers should love it or it's some kind of unique NY thing is kind of silly. I suspect the people who argue that are younger, like in their 20s, and they heard about the hype when they first moved to NYC. Even today, it's still not really that accessible to non-Manhattanites. The Queens spots are relatively new. And the couple of Brooklyn spots are kind of touristy (there is also one location by the courthouses but that is very close to manhattan).

Old 09-06-2017, 12:41 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,385,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post

If anything, wouldn't the stereotypical transplants be pretentious hipsters who wouldn't eat at chain places?
Stereotypical transplants, yes.

Pretentious hipsters, no.

Hypocritical pretentious hipsters, yes.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:49 PM

34,126 posts, read 47,349,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Plenty of Native New Yorkers eat that stuff

Who you think started it?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-06-2017, 02:02 PM

11,649 posts, read 12,727,120 times
How do you think Shake Shack compares to Jackson Hole?

I tried a black and white shake at Shake Shack about 6 months ago and was really disappointed. It's so much more expensive than getting one at a (non chain) ice cream parlor. It was smaller too. I can make much better ones at home.

If you really want great milk shakes that are not homemade, go to one of the "dairy stores" at any of the large universities with an agricultural program. They often make their own cheese and ice cream. Milk shakes are less than half of the cost at Shake Shack and larger. You can sometimes "customize them," eg. specify how much "white milk" or chocolate milk you want in the shake and mix ice-cream flavors. You don't have to have chocolate milk, but that's often an option. If you're in the area, try one at Penn State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City