Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 12:43 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Mathjack knows best. If I known, I'd make him my personal financial advisor.
Of course you don't know for sure what is assets or if his investments have turned out good. Anyone can say anything online.

All that glitters is not gold...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 12:44 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You think the Fed is the problem with RE markets. A lot of expensive properties were all bought by foreigners all cash purchases no borrowing from the Feds here that's what is driving up RE prices.

People will push prices higher if there is value regardless what the rates are, there will be creative borrowing to get the money.

As long as there is a catalyst to push the value up, people will borrow even at ridiculous rates.
That and the feds overseeing that influx in Vancouver, Toronto, Sydney, Singapore, and London aren't the same feds here (hint: different governments, different rates, different reserves).

Old 09-29-2017, 12:47 PM

If Congress authorities some variation of Trump's infrastructure plan and Trump requires that to be made in America, watch inflation go up and watch both the fed and the federal government curtail it when they have to. In times of high inflation governments raise interest rates, increase the reserve requirements of banks, raise certain taxes, etc. As easily as public policy made the coastal city real estate boom it will one day undo it. All of you know it, and it is a scary thought.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:51 PM

Post WW2 government policy favored suburbanization and this was the white flight era, which continued to the late 90s. People forget gentrification to this degree us new and also it won't necessarily last long. Depends really more on where the political winds go, but considering the **** of the public towards people like Sanders and Trump, I'd say working class populism is politically taking over from urban liberal elites.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:56 PM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Mathjack knows best. If I known, I'd make him my personal financial advisor.
ha ha , i don't give anyone financial advice but my self. i do dispute lots of myth and mis-information

Old 09-29-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Of course you don't know for sure what is assets or if his investments have turned out good. Anyone can say anything online.

actually gold has been my biggest winner this year .

i have my portfolio of funds i use , but i also do some fun trading . gold has been my biggest winner fun trading bringing in nice gains since january .

my portfolio has been publicly available since 1987 . i just have been following the fidelity insight newsletter for 30 years . the returns are posted on their site .

i have used their growth model since 1987 up until i got ready to retire . now i use a few different portfolio's from the newsletter including the growth model , basing them on my needs for spending money and the time frame i will need it .

i have never been out of my funds regardless of what i think may happen next , i learned to give up the predicting game along time ago for my serious dough . i leave the seat of my pants stuff to a small amount of fun money .

i have posted my trading statement with my fun trading money here a few times as people accuse me of never counting my losers . ytd the fun money i trade with is up over 90k , losers a few hundred. these are quick short term trades like been in and out of gold about 30x this year . this is only what i sold so far this year trading.

obviously red is my losses .

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-29-2017 at 01:16 PM..

Old 09-29-2017, 01:25 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

You only know mathjak107 from the NYC section it seems. He is more active in the finance section and has a long track record given his post count and when he joined the site. He one of the most transparent posters you will find. My only complaint is he repeat himself so much it sounds like a broken record sometimes. I suppose part of it is people continue to ask the same dumb questions over and over again.

Old 09-29-2017, 01:28 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
I got in on some hot stocks and they have cooled off somewhat but picking up again. Probably up by 40%+ since Trump took office. I had some extra money I decided to buy some gold and held on to them and it has held its value nicely. I mainly bought it as a hedge against stocks in case a correction happens I can use some gold to trade in for some hard cash to buy some over sold stocks.

As for your positions, IBM is a dead stock to me. They will collapse once all the companies are fully deployed to Amazon or Microsoft Cloud. IBM will be sold off due to IPs or downsize heavily as their services keep shrinking with the migration to cloud.

Old 09-29-2017, 01:30 PM

exactly. i repeat the same stuff over and over so much i save my own posts and just paste them . that is because most people run on myth , mis-information and old wives tales they parrot from other mis-informed people and it is always the same subject matter . .

i try to educate them so they can educate others . it isn't i am smart at this stuff , i am not . but i spent a long time learning who is and i steal the thoughts and ideas of some of the smartest people on the planet . then i bring em all here to c-d .

Old 09-29-2017, 01:34 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
exactly. i repeat the same stuff over and over so much i save my own posts and just paste them . that is because most people run on myth , mis-information and old wives tales they parrot from other mis-informed people and it is always the same subject matter . .

i try to educate them so they can educate others . it isn't i am smart at this stuff , i am not . but i spent a long time learning who is and i steal the thoughts and ideas of some of the smartest people on the planet . then i bring em all here to c-d .
How did you trade SLYV? Looks like it went up and down to nowhere until a few weeks ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City