Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 01:50 PM

532 posts, read 787,311 times

Advertisements

LOL no one wants to pay triple for a 10 mns trip
i took a cab from home( brooklyn to downtown) it was 120 dollars
uber usually 25 bucks.
uber and lift are amazing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 01:58 PM

800 posts, read 951,721 times
Uber and Lyft drivers aren't making money. They're simply extracting value from their personal vehicles. The whole thing is a scam.

With a yellow cab, some of the fare is going to some sort of scumbag who owns the medallion but at least some is going to the driver. With Uber and Lyft, the companies themselves are losing big money on each ride and the driver is driving you for free.

If you don't care about other people then go ahead and use the ridesharing companies. If you don't like yellow cabs then take public transportation or ride a bicycle.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:29 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Uber and Lyft drivers aren't making money. They're simply extracting value from their personal vehicles. The whole thing is a scam.

With a yellow cab, some of the fare is going to some sort of scumbag who owns the medallion but at least some is going to the driver. With Uber and Lyft, the companies themselves are losing big money on each ride and the driver is driving you for free.

If you don't care about other people then go ahead and use the ridesharing companies. If you don't like yellow cabs then take public transportation or ride a bicycle.
Uber take 20-25% of what you make, NY state get 1.50 cents, NYC like 0.50 cents

$50 dollar ride uber get $12.50 cents you get $35.50 cents

Old 10-16-2017, 03:09 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
If that were true, they wouldn't be able to find drivers.

Quote:

Old 10-16-2017, 03:25 PM

983 posts, read 932,296 times
I've taken an uber twice, mostly because I was with a bunch of people. Never hailed a cab. Don't see any reason to use an actual cab.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:50 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Subway Ridership Declines in New York. Is Uber to Blame?

https://nytimes.com/2017/02/23/nyreg...ww.google.com/
buddy you are 6 months behind

Old 10-16-2017, 08:01 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,997 times
Took a yellow cab from LGA to my apartment in Astoria yesterday. Had to give the cab driver explicit directions to my very prominent intersection, approximately 1.5 miles away. And had to correct hi along the way a few times. His cab stunk, and he had his license covered. If LGA hadn't moved the Uber pickup to somewhere I have to take a shuttle bus to, I would have 100% taken an Uber. Screw yellow cabs.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:13 PM

800 posts, read 951,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If that were true, they wouldn't be able to find drivers.
There are tons of desperate people out there with no savings. If they need to pay a $300 bill, they can drive around for 10 hours until they extract that cash from their automobile.

I drove for Uber and Lyft when they started. At the beginning the pay was decent. I grossed $450 a few times, which worked out to about $200 take home on a Friday or Saturday night. But they kept dropping it until there was absolutely no point in driving unless you were expanding your pot network or cruising for milfs.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:21 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
There are tons of desperate people out there with no savings. If they need to pay a $300 bill, they can drive around for 10 hours until they extract that cash from their automobile.

I drove for Uber and Lyft when they started. At the beginning the pay was decent. I grossed $450 a few times, which worked out to about $200 take home on a Friday or Saturday night. But they kept dropping it until there was absolutely no point in driving unless you were expanding your pot network or cruising for milfs.
In essence they made 300 dollars. It's not the consumers responsiblity to know or care about business models. Whether Uber or Lyft is profitable is not my problem. Rideshare drivers should organize and unionize. I would happily see all yellowcab medallions go under. They never served the outer boroughs and even in Manhattan they only cruised the major streets. I switched over to ride sharing when I need a ride to get my luggage from my apartment door on a side street and since then I do not use cabs.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:18 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
I sort of noticed this too. Certain trips that I frequent have went up almost $5 - $10. Which is why IF I find a cheap ride, I am going to book it.

I'm messing around with it, and rides that normally would cost $3 before are now $8+!
Why are you so surprised? If you're the cab driver, doing a run for $3.00, what is your profit? Even at $8.00 that is peanuts because the driver has overhead costs and then gas and so on. People are so incredibly cheap. If you're complaining about an $8 fare, you should be taking the subway. You want filet mignon on a canned soup budget. *lol*

That's the problem with our society. Everyone feels they should make a fortune but pay peanuts for everything else.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 10-16-2017 at 09:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City