Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 06:17 AM

242 posts, read 758,821 times

Advertisements

People always say that NYC water is very soft and tastes great, but I wasn't so impressed with the water the last time I was there. Let me say this: NYC water is way better than a lot of places I've been to, BUT I don't find it to be as soft as the tap water where I live in Long Island.

1. Does anyone else notice that the water is not "super soft" like some people say it is?

2. Does anyone else notice that the water has sort of an "earthy" taste to it?

Before anybody says that this may have to do with pipes, I have noticed these same things in different places that are in different boroughs.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 06:25 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,311,859 times
You probably like the taste of the lawn fertilizer that seeps into the LI drinking water.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:31 AM

242 posts, read 758,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You probably like the taste of the lawn fertilizer that seeps into the LI drinking water.
To be honest with you, I don't really "love" the taste of Long Island tap water. It tastes pretty good once it goes through the filter in my refrigerator but, but right out of the tap it usually reeks of chlorine.

In my opinion, water that tastes best has gone through a reverse osmosis system

Old 10-24-2017, 06:47 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,311,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael3512 View Post
To be honest with you, I don't really "love" the taste of Long Island tap water. It tastes pretty good once it goes through the filter in my refrigerator but, but right out of the tap it usually reeks of chlorine.

In my opinion, water that tastes best has gone through a reverse osmosis system
I used to do that with my fishtank, but then got lazy and stopped. Eventually the fish died.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:10 AM

375 posts, read 323,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I was thinking the same thing! My ex lived in Oceanside and their water was terrible! I've been to MANY restaurants in LI and every time the water tasted 'earthy'/dirt/fertilizer/whatever it is!

I have a good friend who works for DEP and he tells me that NYC water goes through 9 tests before it comes out of your tap. He told me he would rather drink NYC tap then bottled water that goes through 2-4 tests. The cheaper the water, the less tests it goes through. Also, if your in NYC and your water has a funny taste, then its most likely the pipes in that home.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:04 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
I was thinking the same thing! My ex lived in Oceanside and their water was terrible! I've been to MANY restaurants in LI and every time the water tasted 'earthy'/dirt/fertilizer/whatever it is!

I have a good friend who works for DEP and he tells me that NYC water goes through 9 tests before it comes out of your tap. He told me he would rather drink NYC tap then bottled water that goes through 2-4 tests. The cheaper the water, the less tests it goes through. Also, if your in NYC and your water has a funny taste, then its most likely the pipes in that home.
Agreed. I moved into my apartment a year and a half ago. For the first 6 months, I drank bottled water because the water out of the tap was revolting. Then my landlord replaced my kitchen faucet and hallelujah, it was another story altogether. Now it's back to the NYC water I know and love.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:38 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,750,269 times
NYC water is great! It comes from upstate and is some of the best urban water out there. hell, it is some of the best drinking water, period.

No, I don't think it is soft. Soft water is kind of gross and doesn't get soap off you in the shower. NYC water is perfect!

Old 10-24-2017, 08:42 AM

782 posts, read 858,771 times
I run my NYC water through a brita filter that I keep in the fridge, tastes great to me...

Old 10-24-2017, 09:42 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,640 times
I drink it straight from the tap, no issues on my side. I like that I can actually see through it. It's a little worriesome when I travel and the water out of the tap is opache.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:44 AM

148 posts, read 175,647 times
I drink mine (filtered) via the dispenser in my refrigerator. Filter is changed every 6 months. Water tastes great. Some friends/family of mine use the fancy individual water machines w/various settings (from high alkaline to high acidity) -- I think those machines are made in Japan or Korea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City