Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2017, 10:36 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

Early November visit, staying in an apt at 1st Ave and 53rd street (Lenox Hill, correct?) for five days (possibly four if I HAVE to fulfill a family visit) I haven't been to NYC since about 1985, husband has never been there.

Two seniors who can walk, but not long distances. Standing in long lines is not a great idea, either. Stairs serve only to painfully remind us of our old age, so I assume that buses and taxi are a better solution than the subway? We do not expect to see everything - and we don't care to run around like crazy. We have tickets to a broadway show one evening. Obviously, we're not going clubbing

Things we know we want to do: 9/11 museum, Circle Line and/or Staten Island Ferry (which???), Grand Central Station, Chinatown, Washington and/or Union Square, Times Square , Natural History Museum. NOT interested in any art museums (sorry - just not our thing). We want to visit a bar (maybe two) on a high floor, Empire State Bldg, or TOTR to see the skyline - in particular so husband can really see how huge Central Park really is.

I am also considering a guided group tour kind of thing - mostly to avoid lines and help organize our time and get a grand overview of stuff. We have traveled internationally a lot and rarely use one of those, preferring to be independent. That said, this may be a time where it makes sense?

I appreciate the suggestions and help of everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 11:00 AM

977 posts, read 566,903 times
I'm no expert by any means, but a few thoughts:

Top of the Rock typically has shorter lines than the ESB and you will get a better view of Central Park. I would recommend TOTR over ESB.

I would not give up on the subway entirely. It is true that there are many subway stations where stairs are a requirement, but some of the stations are handicapped accessible with elevator access. The closest station to where you are staying is the 53st St. station on the E/M lines, located at 53rd St and Lexington Ave. This is less than a half mile from 1st and 53rd. (1500 ft according to Google Maps). It is an accessible station according to the MTA website. If your destinations are located close to similarly accessible stations, I would strongly recommend the subway over cabs and buses. It's certainly cheaper than cabs, and often faster as you don't have to deal with traffic.

Circle Line vs. SI Ferry: SI Ferry is free, but it will not stop near the SOL to let you take pictures, etc. If you are not worried about this, then by all means use the SI Ferry. Also the SI ferry has more departures and would likely fit into your schedule better. You could even take the SI Ferry at night after the CL ferry is closed. You probably will get a better view of the Statue from CL and as I said more time to look/take pictures, etc.

I don't really know much about the guided tours since I always go independently myself when visiting NYC. If they have a bus with off/on privileges then that may be a way to go. If not, you're likely going on the tour company's set itinerary and may spend more time at places you don't really want to see, and possibly less time than you'd like at the places you do want to go.

Hopefully this helps. Enjoy your trip!

Old 11-01-2017, 11:10 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
Here is my suggestion. Since you are looking to travel within the city, and not a big fan of walking, you may want to get a 7 days unlimited metrocard and utilize the MTA Subway and Bus, and at the end of your trip, you might still have a day or two time left with the Metrocard.

For Subway, you want to keep an eye on mta.info, navigate to the subway section, and you will be able to get info on the status of subway.
For MTA Bus, you can go to bustime.mta.info and enter the bus line to see where the bus is at. For example, if you taking bus line M1, then you simply type in M1, and it will give up live status of where the bus is at real time. Of course, there might be some delay, like the bus might have left the stop but is still showing that is at the stop. Is not 100% accurate, but at least give you a sense of where the bus is at, and when you can expect the next coming bus.

You have to do your search on where you want to go, and expect traffic and unexpected delay. Once you have a number of place you want to go, you can let other know the list, and from there, people might be able to help you plan out for the five day trip.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:14 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,526,328 times
I'm off to lunch and might write more later.....

Not sure what your interests are but why are Washington and/or Union Square on your list? Union Square at 14th Street is mainly a park with a shopping area around it. Washington Square has the Washington Square Arch and is surrounded mainly by NYU university buildings. Both places are nice but not really must see attractions. (unless you meant some other Washington/ Union Square).

Both Chinatown and Times Square can be crowded so it depends on your tolerance for crowds. Chinatown does have eateries that you can duck into if you start to get tired.

I think that you should plan for a day for doing each museum. I haven't visited the 9/11 museum but a lot of tourists go there so it might get crowded. You probably don't want to rush through it. The Natural History Museum is large so you should look at the website and plan out what you want to see beforehand.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:31 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,859,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Early November visit, staying in an apt at 1st Ave and 53rd street (Lenox Hill, correct?) for five days (possibly four if I HAVE to fulfill a family visit) I haven't been to NYC since about 1985, husband has never been there.

Two seniors who can walk, but not long distances. Standing in long lines is not a great idea, either. Stairs serve only to painfully remind us of our old age, so I assume that buses and taxi are a better solution than the subway? We do not expect to see everything - and we don't care to run around like crazy. We have tickets to a broadway show one evening. Obviously, we're not going clubbing

Things we know we want to do: 9/11 museum, Circle Line and/or Staten Island Ferry (which???), Grand Central Station, Chinatown, Washington and/or Union Square, Times Square , Natural History Museum. NOT interested in any art museums (sorry - just not our thing). We want to visit a bar (maybe two) on a high floor, Empire State Bldg, or TOTR to see the skyline - in particular so husband can really see how huge Central Park really is.

I am also considering a guided group tour kind of thing - mostly to avoid lines and help organize our time and get a grand overview of stuff. We have traveled internationally a lot and rarely use one of those, preferring to be independent. That said, this may be a time where it makes sense?

I appreciate the suggestions and help of everyone.

OT, but are you JK Gourmet as in Almond flour?

Old 11-01-2017, 03:32 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Well, first, no, your address isn't Lenox Hill. It's just Midtown. Or you could say it's the Beekman Place area.

Second, I tend to suggest buying one or two guidebooks. Yes, buses make sense. You might even want to splurge on a one-week metrocard pass.

Third, be aware that many of the things you mention don't involve much of anything except looking around briefly, and leaving (e.g. Union Square, unless it's market day).

I think I've run across you in Chowhound - you might ask there for eating suggestions. It's possible that one of the restaurants on Central Park South might be high enough up to provide your husband with a great view of the park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: