Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 08:45 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times

Advertisements

In December (a drinking month for me) we will revisit THE MONSTER's happy hour, 4 to 7PM...in Sheridan Squarre, Last time, a couple years ago they were getting $3.50 for generously poured well drinks (usually gin and tonic for me.)
I am curious what they raised the price to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 04:41 PM

666 posts, read 513,396 times
I used to always make an effort to go out to the City at least once a week for "old time's sake." Now I don't go out there at all if I can help it, so now I'm down to maybe five times a year, if that. Next year I probably won't even go out there unless I have to (appointment, social gathering, etc.). I just hate what it's become (like if someone ate Disneyland, Las Vegas, Mall of America and Beverly Hills and threw them up), and I actually feel alienated, like I don't belong there anymore.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:10 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,772,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
I used to always make an effort to go out to the City at least once a week for "old time's sake." Now I don't go out there at all if I can help it (like if someone ate Disneyland, Las Vegas, Mall of America and Beverly Hills and threw them up), and I actually feel alienated, like I don't belong there anymore.
Yeah, it has changed a lot. Especially the East Village area. That was my hangout place in the early 90's. Hardly recognize it now. It's so dead. What happened to all the unique stores, bars and restaurants? Oh, well. The times they are a changin. I sound so old. lol.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:32 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Yeah, it has changed a lot. Especially the East Village area. That was my hangout place in the early 90's. Hardly recognize it now. It's so dead. What happened to all the unique stores, bars and restaurants? Oh, well. The times they are a changin. I sound so old. lol.
The EV is filled with good dive bars, you're not looking hard enough. Avenue A has like 5 bars on every block.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
That was such a great area, wasn't it? All of the Village. I get heartsick remembering all the cool things there was to see and do there. Still have these holographic tops and book on chakras that I bought at Star Magic ages ago. Still have all the really old issues of Vice Magazine when it was just some a crappy (but entertaining) underground culture magazine and not the huge juggernaut that it was now. Have fond memories of picking out buttons at Canal Jean Co., browsing the Antique Boutique and hearing trip hop for the first time wafting in the background of Tower Records.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:38 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,772,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
That was such a great area, wasn't it? All of the Village. I get heartsick remembering all the cool things there was to see and do there. Still have these holographic tops and book on chakras that I bought at Star Magic ages ago. Still have all the really old issues of Vice Magazine when it was just some a crappy (but entertaining) underground culture magazine and not the huge juggernaut that it was now. Have fond memories of picking out buttons at Canal Jean Co., browsing the Antique Boutique and hearing trip hop for the first time wafting in the background of Tower Records.
Tower Records! They were the last hold out to still selling vinyl when they finally succumbed to the pressure of CD's only to eventually close shop for good. Remember Unique Clothing? Hardly bought anything there (it was too outrageous even for me and at rip off prices) but it was a fun place to hang out in with friends and laugh at the weird clothing. They tore down Palladium!! Sob.

Oh, well. Don't know if NYC was any better back then or I'm just waxing nostalgia because that was when I was young & carefree. Well...maybe not so much carefree but I was young!

Last edited by Aeran; 11-26-2017 at 06:46 PM..

Old 11-27-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Tower Records! They were the last hold out to still selling vinyl when they finally succumbed to the pressure of CD's only to eventually close shop for good. Remember Unique Clothing? Hardly bought anything there (it was too outrageous even for me and at rip off prices) but it was a fun place to hang out in with friends and laugh at the weird clothing. They tore down Palladium!! Sob.
Yes, of course I remember Unique! That place was so ahead of its time. It had floppy hats decades before the Kartrashians made them "chic" again. I still regret not buying one.

Quote:
Oh, well. Don't know if NYC was any better back then or I'm just waxing nostalgia because that was when I was young & carefree. Well...maybe not so much carefree but I was young!
No, New York was definitely better back then. There was more cultural stuff happening, more scenes, more of everything, especially if you were a creative. As I always like to say, NYC was the kind of place where you were blessed to see phenomenons unfold and take shape before your eyes right before it exploded and became a phenomenon. You could be proud to say that you were the first to see a major artist perform before they got big, saw the rise of Beatnik culture, punk and hip hop, saw Keith Haring or Andy Warhol doing their thing for years before they made it big, be a part of and see so many cool fashion and pop cultural trends and scenes as they were emerging.

Retail was a lot more diversified--tons of indies, moms and pops, different types of retail, not just the same handful of 15 stores that fall into six categories (1) fast food 2) bank branch 3) 7/11 4) pharmacy chain 5) mall rat boutique 6) department store). Shopping was so much more fun and interesting, too.

So many cool and fun events, too. Uuughhh...feeling depressed just thinking about it.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:23 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:

Sounds was better on 8th street by St. Marks. Used to go there as a teen when either was broke or didn't want to splurge on a new CD. Would get a *used* CD in mint condition and just buy brand new cases for them if the case was beat up. Found many rare singles of Soundgarden there that are now on their *B-sides* album.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:23 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
No, New York was definitely better back then.

It's true, If it were not for Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall and Off and Off-Off Broadway theater, and superb medical care, super transportation, libraries, and restaurants. I would probably fly the coop and buy a cheap house in the hinterlands somewhere.
As New York becomes identical to Downtown ANYWHERE, USA, it is less and less appealing.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:43 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
When I was young (still living at home) I used to go once a month, my parents a bit more. Usual reasons were visiting family friends, museums/field trips, opera/Lincoln Center. Then when I was in high school I'd skip school weekly to hang out in the Village, WSP, skate at Brooklyn Banks and otherwise be a truant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City