Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 11:06 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
I think you don’t get that there isn’t a formal definition of bodega. I actually looked it up myself years ago out of curiosity and found there was no consensus. And in my own experiences, we didn’t refer to the places in Manhattan as bodegas. We called a lot of them Korean delis. Frankly no one is right or wrong. Language constantly evolves. You’re actually a little odd in how often you try to correct people on their own language usage and experiences when you’re pretty young and don’t even live in NYC.
Not sure that anyone calls a Korean deli a bodega. The argument is whether Arab delis should also be considered bodegas. They are fairly similar though there are also differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 11:33 AM

782 posts, read 527,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Not sure that anyone calls a Korean deli a bodega. The argument is whether Arab delis should also be considered bodegas. They are fairly similar though there are also differences.
There was at least one person here who tried to argue that Manhattan places are bodegas. And 1995 called people who have different definitions than him oddly specific or something.

In the nearby suburbs where I grew up, we had one or two of these small convenience stores. I think they were owned by South Asians. We didn’t call them bodegas. For whatever reason, I associate the word with stores owned by Latino proprietors in Latino neighborhoods. I suspect that was how it was used in the media in the past.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:31 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
There was at least one person here who tried to argue that Manhattan places are bodegas. And 1995 called people who have different definitions than him oddly specific or something.

In the nearby suburbs where I grew up, we had one or two of these small convenience stores. I think they were owned by South Asians. We didn’t call them bodegas. For whatever reason, I associate the word with stores owned by Latino proprietors in Latino neighborhoods. I suspect that was how it was used in the media in the past.
All I'm saying is that the Arab run places you find all over black NYC neighborhoods definitely count as bodegas, they're pretty similar to the Latino owned ones. YThe Korean megadelis in Manhattan are different of course, but I'm sure somewhere in NYC there are places run by Chinese and Koreans with the traditional bodega layout.

And the origins of the term bodega do not necessarily mean that only Latino run places are bodegas, that's like saying a place is not a cafe unless it's run by French people for French customers.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:27 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
I've been calling them Korean bodega's for years, and no one ever claimed not to know what I was talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Not sure that anyone calls a Korean deli a bodega.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:07 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
RiteAid and 7-11 Corp owned stores are the new corner bodegas.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:09 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
For whatever reason, I associate the word with stores owned by Latino proprietors in Latino neighborhoods. I suspect that was how it was used in the media in the past.
That was what I thought for the longest time but I guess that term has now "evolved".

Old 12-04-2017, 02:14 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Bodegas were always a Hispanic, then Arab thing. No Asian place is considered, or called a bodega. The Asian places all have more of a traditional deli layout.

If it doesnt look like this, then its not a bodega:

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-04-2017, 02:15 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Or:

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-04-2017, 02:43 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Using Seventh Floor's examples I definitely see that old school bodega all over lower Manhattan neighborhoods such as East Village/LES, Hells Kitchen, Chelsea, and of course upper Manhattan and the outer boroughs. Those businesses aren't going anywhere. In a few neighborhoods 24 hour drug stores compete with them, but not enough to make them disappear.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:59 PM

2,983 posts, read 1,166,554 times
In harlem a few years the arabs went crazy building deli's one on every block on broadway i my old hood there one old school bodega been for years first own by puerto ricans for years now own by dominicans for years now there was another bodega just across the street but now it's a med clinic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City