Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 06:42 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

A few years back (a decade?) our go-to place was the Stage Deli for a delicious pastrami sandwich (even at $17.99). I was appalled when they closed it. To my mind the Carnegie deli was never a good substitute but now even that is closed. Then we found Ben's Best on Queens Boulevard, Rego Park a good second best to the Stage, and 3 bucks less. But Rego Park is a schlepp for a sandwich, especially now that our Rego Park friend has died.

We found a new place, TAL BAGELS, 333 East 86th St.,between Second and First, North side.
Their deal is Pastrami or Corned beef on bagel or rye, WITH a bowl of soup for $10.95 after 1:30PM until closing.

Their IMMENSE sandwiches (one sandwich for 2 people is probably enough, or bring half home for lunch next day) are as good or better than the Stage. The pastrami was nice and greasy, piled high and absolutely delicious. Next time we will do the corn beef.
We tried both pea and lentil soups...both delicious.

I see there are three or four Tal Bagels in Manhattan, but the others cannot possibly beat the 86th St, location.

Order your sandwich on rye; on a bagel you would need a jaw the size of an alligator's to get a proper bite. Pastrami and rye were made for each other: like Romeo and Juliette.

Last edited by Kefir King; 12-02-2017 at 06:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 09:56 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
Katz's has the absolute best pastrami & rye. No debate about it. The 2nd Ave deli is good too. 3rd place, goes to Sarge's Deli. IMO

Old 12-02-2017, 10:25 AM

983 posts, read 932,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Katz's has the absolute best pastrami & rye. No debate about it. The 2nd Ave deli is good too. 3rd place, goes to Sarge's Deli. IMO
These are all good food-wise, but really overpriced (Sarge's is almost OK).

I like Leibmann's in the Bronx, which is also a bit pricey but not so bad.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:32 AM

85 posts, read 154,212 times
TAL on 86th is awesome for bagels, lox, etc... never considered doing a pastrami on rye there.

Good option in that neighborhood is Pastrami Queen on Lexington. That's 1B next to my 1A which is Ben's Best. Can't beat Ben's Best especially for the price.

KATZ is fun for the experience once in a while but out of all the pricey jewish delis they seem to nickle and dime you the most

Old 12-02-2017, 11:26 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
I'm sorry, but Katz's sucks. The last time I was there it was awful and the faces of the tourists who had just shelled out like $50 for lard slices on stale bread made me angry. The prices are out of control, the meat and bread were all dry, and the only good thing was the bowl of chicken soup.

Oh, and the bathroom was unacceptable and it was freezing.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:39 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
i almost dined at stage deli, and then they announced they were closing. it was rather abrupt.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:58 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,197,063 times
There was a Jewish deli right on 231st between Broadway and Godwin Terrace in Kingsbridge. I think it was called Loesner's Deli or something. Little dark whole in the wall. Vestige of when the area was more Jewish. This was 5 years ago, so I'd be suprised if they are still open. Anyhow they made some the best pastrami on rye sandwichs and great half sour pickles

Old 12-02-2017, 12:08 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Can't understand why the Carnegie closed. They owned the building so a landlord couldn't force them out as was the case with the Stage Deli.

I also don't see the point of piling 10, 12, 16 or more ounces of meat on a sandwich- so much that you can't open your jaw wide enough to bite into it, not to mention the outrageous prices, which bear no relationship to the actual food costs. And gluttony is not a virtue.

If you're ever in Philly and hanker for a great corned beef or pastrami sandwich, try the "Famous 4th Street Deli." You have your choice of a regular sandwich or "zaftig."

Famous 4th Street Delicatessen (Famous Fourth Stre - Philadelphia Restaurant - MenuPages Deli Food, Eastern European, Sandwiches Restaurant Search - Menu

Old 12-02-2017, 12:30 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
The Stage Deli was awful. You missed nothing. I thought my sandwich from Katz was amazing.

Old 12-02-2017, 12:31 PM

15,851 posts, read 14,479,382 times
Really? I'll have to try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
A few years back (a decade?) our go-to place was the Stage Deli for a delicious pastrami sandwich (even at $17.99). I was appalled when they closed it. To my mind the Carnegie deli was never a good substitute but now even that is closed. Then we found Ben's Best on Queens Boulevard, Rego Park a good second best to the Stage, and 3 bucks less. But Rego Park is a schlepp for a sandwich, especially now that our Rego Park friend has died.

We found a new place, TAL BAGELS, 333 East 86th St.,between Second and First, North side.
Their deal is Pastrami or Corned beef on bagel or rye, WITH a bowl of soup for $10.95 after 1:30PM until closing.

Their IMMENSE sandwiches (one sandwich for 2 people is probably enough, or bring half home for lunch next day) are as good or better than the Stage. The pastrami was nice and greasy, piled high and absolutely delicious. Next time we will do the corn beef.
We tried both pea and lentil soups...both delicious.

I see there are three or four Tal Bagels in Manhattan, but the others cannot possibly beat the 86th St, location.

Order your sandwich on rye; on a bagel you would need a jaw the size of an alligator's to get a proper bite. Pastrami and rye were made for each other: like Romeo and Juliette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City