Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 12:04 PM

881 posts, read 615,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmc197 View Post
"Preserving the culture..."

Ever been to parts of the South Bronx? Place is a hell hole. I hope they gentrify the s**t out of it. We should not be preserving anything that looks like that place.

Gentrify baby, Gentrify!!!
10000000X POINTS!!!!!

I live in the South Bronx...garbage all over the place because most (not all, but most, unfortunately) are rats and roaches whose only goal in life is being entertained...they will complain about "racism" while behaving exactly to (stereo-) type!

Old 12-27-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
In reply to Roseba: I don't think much about therapy because I have never seen a convincing evidence that it is effective for any purpose
Please do yourself a favor and read Viktor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning.

He was an Austrian Jewish psychiatrist who survived the death camps -- and like a hero of old, he's literally been to hell and back...with treasure.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:46 PM

8,378 posts, read 4,395,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
Please do yourself a favor and read Viktor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning.

He was an Austrian Jewish psychiatrist who survived the death camps -- and like a hero of old, he's literally been to hell and back...with treasure.
I read that book about 25 years ago. Funny, the person that gave me the book told me that Frankl's survival technique reminded him of my own :-). One sees a meaning in an idea or set of ideas. One survives by keeping an eye on what is meaningful to him in life, or to rephrase it in existential terms, finds meaningful elements in a badness that he is forced to endure by life's circumstances. Isn't that obvious and how does that relate to a need for psychoanalysis?

HL, on a different subject, you say that I am disregarding the historic fact that welfare was created to take care of unsupported children. But you are disregarding the contemporary fact that the last generation IUDs are almost pregnancy-proof (when combined with condoms, probability of pregnancy approaches probability of immaculate conception) and it is not mandatory to create unsupported children.

Haven't finished editing yet :-). You might be onto something with stopping to glamorize wealth. I am from a place which was a kingdom before 1940, and the young king (the son of the assasinated one) was deposed first by the Nazis, then the communists. He married someone from similar background, and they lived happily ever after in a 2-bedroom apartment on French Riviera. Well, if the king ended in a 2-bedroom apartment, you can imagine how a variety of other prominent citizens of my former country ended up between 1940 and 1970. Maybe because of these elements factoring into poverty, in my country of origin poverty was never linked with lack of education or life of crime (and 15 year old welfare mothers were an unknown entity). For some reason, because Parkchester in the Bronx is so architecturally significant, I always thought I would find civilized poor people there, similar to those I have seen as a child. But I don't know if one can find a concentration of those anywhere in the US. Maybe that would change if you would deglamorize wealth. But I don't see any natural conditions that would deglamorize wealth in the US.

And if you would deglamorize wealth, maybe you would also have easier time demystifying the ordinary financial resources (including to yourself) without lumping them with Warren Buffett's, as earning and maintaining a reasonable material basis for survival isn't generally a result of Warren-Buffet-sized luck (he did have luck, agreed, but he IS an outlier), but of personal efforts (I have been fairly unlucky in life, and being therefore suspicious of luck, have made practically no market investments in the course of life. Yet I earned and saved enough that I probably would not need social security or Medicare at all, unless I live past age 105-110). If you deglamorize wealth, you also begin to understand that not every financially stable person is Warren Buffet, in fact almost nobody is Warren Buffett, that financial stability is a result of some very normal and widespread efforts, and since most ordinary people attained their modest financial stability by those efforts (rather than luck), they should not ethically be asked to provide for people who didn't bother with the efforts. You know, the Aesop's tale of cricket & ant. Ok, I think I finished editing.

Last edited by elnrgby; 12-27-2017 at 01:35 PM..

Old 12-27-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I read that book about 25 years ago. Funny, the person that gave me the book told me that Frankl's survival technique reminded him of my own :-). One sees a meaning in an idea or set of ideas. One survives by keeping an eye on what is meaningful to him in life, or to rephrase it in existential terms, finds meaningful elements in a badness that he is forced to endure by life's circumstances. Isn't that obvious and how does that relate to a need for psychoanalysis?
No, it's not obvious. How come the other inmates did not survive, then? Have you read the book -- and how much of it do you remember?

Isn't it obvious for cats to know how to hunt and kill prey? And yet, without being taught, they only have a chase instinct. Even wild animals need teaching -- how much so the infinitely more complicated dynamic matrix of potential that is a human being!

What's obvious is the pleasure principle and, maybe, the will to power (in order to secure pleasure). What Frankl's proposed is a will to meaning as well -- man is a semantical creature, after all. And it's not obvious at all that what we lack is meaning and purpose -- nor, perhaps more importantly, how to create that meaning and purpose for ourselves.

It's a skill which like any other needs to be competently taught by an able teacher and active practitioner.

Quote:
HL, on a different subject, you say that I am disregarding the historic fact that welfare was created to take care of unsupported children. But you are disregarding the contemporary fact that the last generation IUDs are almost pregnancy-proof (when combined with condoms, probability of pregnancy approaches probability of immaculate conception) and it is not mandatory to create unsupported children.
This has nothing to do with IUDs -- the issue is that people are going to keep having kids even if it were against the law (look at all the forced abortions in China).

Old 12-27-2017, 01:44 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
This thread has gone wayyyyy off topic. Feel free to start a new thread pertaining to the discussion in another forum.

Thread closed.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City