Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 03:19 PM

13 posts, read 12,817 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to nyc with our 3 kids (preschool and elementary age). Public schooling is very important to us as is living in a neighborhood with other gay male couples (the more the better). In our current city there are lots of gay people and some good public schools (including where our kids attend) but no overlap between the two. We also live quite a distance from the school and dh would strongly like to be in walking distance.

I've done some research online and I understand that one generally gets into the school for which one is zoned, but some overcrowding, particularly downtown, does not always make that possible (it's unclear to me what happens in that case). We would not move until summer and we would prefer to buy (we could rent at first).

I would appreciate advice on which specific public elementary schools we should consider and in which neighborhoods they are located. In the ideal world we would buy a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath under $3.5M, but we could go up in price or consider 2 bathrooms. We would strongly prefer Manhattan (although I am open to thoughts on other boroughs). Proximity to restaurants, parks and public transportation is ideal as is a vibrant community I was thinking Chelsea, Greenwich village, union square or soho (possibly TriBeCa), but I am concerned about finding a good public school that we will get into.

Any help or opinions is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 04:59 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,858,257 times
quote:
we would buy a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath under $3.5M

Sorry, most of us here deal in the range of 2-3 million dollar apartments. What does the GLBT preference even mean when it comes to finding schools? I'm gay btw, so not hating, just totally confused about your wishes.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:02 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,492,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:

Sorry, most of us here deal in the range of 2-3 million dollar apartments. What does the GLBT preference even mean when it comes to finding schools? I'm gay btw, so not hating, just totally confused about your wishes.
This person probablyisn't trolling either, look at the join date

Old 01-07-2018, 05:07 PM

it's scary, indeed!

Old 01-07-2018, 05:14 PM

954 posts, read 940,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssushner View Post
We are considering a move to nyc with our 3 kids (preschool and elementary age). Public schooling is very important to us as is living in a neighborhood with other gay male couples (the more the better). In our current city there are lots of gay people and some good public schools (including where our kids attend) but no overlap between the two. We also live quite a distance from the school and dh would strongly like to be in walking distance.

I've done some research online and I understand that one generally gets into the school for which one is zoned, but some overcrowding, particularly downtown, does not always make that possible (it's unclear to me what happens in that case). We would not move until summer and we would prefer to buy (we could rent at first).

I would appreciate advice on which specific public elementary schools we should consider and in which neighborhoods they are located. In the ideal world we would buy a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath under $3.5M, but we could go up in price or consider 2 bathrooms. We would strongly prefer Manhattan (although I am open to thoughts on other boroughs). Proximity to restaurants, parks and public transportation is ideal as is a vibrant community I was thinking Chelsea, Greenwich village, union square or soho (possibly TriBeCa), but I am concerned about finding a good public school that we will get into.

Yo what’s up? Can a brotha get a loan?

Old 01-07-2018, 05:14 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
This person probablyisn't trolling either, look at the join date
But look at all 8 posts . They are almost identical and since 2011! Troll

Old 01-07-2018, 05:16 PM

Reduce your hours a bit, NYC now provides 160%-180% AMI for FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMILIES to snag lottery apartments.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:20 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,492,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
But look at all 8 posts . They are almost identical and since 2011! Troll
Wow you're totally right, I even responded to his or her last thread from 2016 which is almost identical to this one. Their first post was in 2011 and also the same, he or she has a 3.5 million dollar budget and hasn't found anything since then?

This is kind of bizarre actually.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:35 PM

13 posts, read 12,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:

Just that we prefer a neighbor with higher concentration of gay male couples with kids. It would be one of the primary motivations for the move.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:35 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssushner View Post

Zoning applies for pre-k through grade school, middle and high school OTOH are a different matter.

As with everything else in this city LGBT "inclusive" is in the eyes of the beholder. There are white gay parents who are every bit as, well shall we say "narrow minded" in certain areas as their straight peers.

Yes, you'll be looking at mostly down town (Greenwich Village, Soho, Tribeca, Financial District, Chelsea, etc... ) but things don't stop there.

A good number of the highly rated zoned public schools in those areas are also mostly all white and from middle upper class and above homes. That is what some parents want, others wish their kids to be exposed to more diversity.

https://www.greatschools.org/new-yor...nwich-Village/

https://www.greatschools.org/new-yor...rrette-School/

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...long-waitlists

NEIGHBORHOOD REPORT: GREENWICH VILLAGE; A Principal Is Fired at P.S. 3, And Angry Parents Ask Why - The New York Times

The other bastion of gays in Manhattan, the Upper Westside just went through a very nasty and often bitter rezoning that pitted often neighbor against neighbor. While still nothing like the Upper Eastside (yet), the UWS is slowly changing as more and more upper income families move in.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/10/n...city-says.html

Quite honestly a good number of the better off/rich/ power gay or whatever often choose their home first, and send kids to private schools. Neil Patrick Harris bought a townhouse in East Harlem but his kid likely are *NOT* attending local zoned schools. Neil Patrick Harris' twins start preschool - Kidspot

For everyone else the solution is largely same as for straight parents, they are moving to suburbs known to be gay and lesbian friendly such as Maplewood, New Jersey. If they aren't gone before the kids start elementary school, many make the move before time for high school.

Problem you are going to find is that even three million or so does not go far in the "hot" areas of Manhattan such as downtown (anything these days below 34th or 23rd streets. This is one reason why gays and others are simply buying townhouses in parts of Harlem, East Village or wherever not red hot but relatively affordable (for them at least) areas of Manhattan, then sending kids to private schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City