Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 10:54 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,730,715 times

Advertisements

"A survey conducted by Douglas Elliman found that about 20 percent of all retail space in Manhattan is currently vacant, she said, compared with roughly 7 percent in 2016."

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...t-vacancy.html

"William Abramson, who represents landlords on Bleecker as director of sales and leasing at Buchbinder & Warren Realty Group, called it misguided to blame landlord greed for storefront vacancies. 'Most landlords are not waiting for top dollar — they’re waiting for good tenants and they’re often willing to take less than market rent,' he said. "

lol slimeball real estate agent of the year right here, "less than market rent" for this dipwad means they're generously willing to take $23,000 per month instead of $25,000. Try $10,000 a month instead, a-hole

Last edited by BlakeJones; 09-07-2018 at 11:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 11:06 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,092,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...t-vacancy.html

"A survey conducted by Douglas Elliman found that about 20 percent of all retail space in Manhattan is currently vacant, she said, compared with roughly 7 percent in 2016."
With some much corporate competition and the increase in internet purchase you will see more vacancies in the future.

Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Duane Reade, McDonalds, Burger King, supermarkets, FreshDirect, MaxDelivery, Amazon, Internet purchases, etc. You also have to factor in the # of these stores in a small area. A starbucks in one block then 4 blocks north another starbucks, etc.

It's tough for small business to prosper. Even big businesses are feeling the pinch.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
With some much corporate competition and the increase in internet purchase you will see more vacancies in the future.

Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Duane Reade, McDonalds, Burger King, supermarkets, FreshDirect, MaxDelivery, Amazon, Internet purchases, etc. You also have to factor in the # of these stores in a small area. A starbucks in one block then 4 blocks north another starbucks, etc.

It's tough for small business to prosper. Even big businesses are feeling the pinch.
Everything you're saying is true but completely besides the point

The point is ASKING RENTS ARE SIGNIFICANTLY OVER VALUED, and I mean SIGNIFICANTLY. If they dropped rents 50% to 60% every empty store would be filled overnight. There is a huge entrepreneurial base in NYC and no shortage of people looking to start businesses but cannot come close to meeting rent demands

Old 09-07-2018, 11:23 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,092,718 times
Quote:

The point is ASKING RENTS ARE SIGNIFICANTLY OVER VALUED, and I mean SIGNIFICANTLY. If they dropped rents 50% to 60% every empty store would be filled overnight. There is a huge entrepreneurial base in NYC and no shortage of people looking to start businesses but cannot come close to meeting rent demands
Double true. But what would fill the space since we have a plethora of options already? Maybe a small intimate strip club, weed shops (if we legalize weed)...

A niche artisan coffee shop for our gourmet eater, Pierrepointe.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:31 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,303,192 times
Quote:

Well yeah, but can you expect anything less? I mean really, the floor for studios now is around $1300-1400 a month, even in the worst areas, and $1500 - 1600 in the good areas. Everything is overpriced, which is the problem. With people paying so much in rent they just don't shop as much. I used to eat out for lunch almost every day - $20 - 30 on lunch because I could. My food budget is roughly the same as it was (~$800/month), but now I cook at home more versus eating out as much, and I still do my coffee shops, but I rarely have sit-down lunches - more take out which is something else that is changing - people have less time and money to have lunch out these days.

I cut back on it because my expenses have shot up. It isn't just the rent either. Everything keeps going up. My transportation is over $200 a month. Food prices keep going up. Then you go to a store and there are tip jars everywhere. I earn good money, but Jesus Christ, you walk into a café and they act like you're carrying a disease if you aren't buying more than just a $5 coffee, and they make it obvious by asking if you need a receipt. I'm like when did it become a "crime" to just go in and order coffee? That's the real problem. The tourists come here and they are jacking up the price of everything because the market is geared towards them and these damn transplants who are pushing people out. It's a problem worldwide in fact. You go to Europe and it's the same thing. Skyrocketing rents. Gentrification...

It's like cities are being built for a group of people that simply can't sustain it on their own. There are only but so many upper middle to upper class types and certainly only so many rich people. The rest are working class or middle class types. I'm upper middle class, but everyone has a budget they like to keep, and mine is around $3500 - 4000 a month between rent, regular expenses, and so on and then you want to put away money for savings and retirement too, which is separate from the budget I mentioned.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
if you aren't buying more than just a $5 coffee, and they make it obvious by asking if you need a receipt.
Not to go off on a tangent but while you bring it up what the heck is up with all these places asking if you want the receipt lately? I'm getting this more and more. I mean I don't always need a receipt but the people asking me this have ALREADY have the receipt printed.

What they are actually asking is, "do you want me to throw this in the trash?"

uhh

Old 09-07-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Not to go off on a tangent but while you bring it up what the heck is up with all these places asking if you want the receipt lately? I'm getting this more and more. I mean I don't always need a receipt but the people asking me this have ALREADY have the receipt printed.

What they are actually asking is, "do you want me to throw this in the trash?"

uhh
LOL I know. It is such a waste of paper too. A lot of the places that I frequent use the Square payment system, so no paper receipts. It makes things much faster, convenient and cleaner.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
LOL I know. It is such a waste of paper too. A lot of the places that I frequent use the Square payment system, so no paper receipts. It makes things much faster, convenient and cleaner.
email receipt is the best, I use that option at Citi ATMs and Home Depot

Old 09-07-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
email receipt is the best, I use that option at Citi ATMs and Home Depot
I use it only with CVS. I don't get receipts for ATMs. You can just check your phone immediately after making a deposit if you aren't doing it electronically to ensure that the deposit is there.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:06 PM

Someone has decided to catalog in detail all the empty Manhattan storefronts:

VACANT NEW YORK
Vacant storefronts in NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City