Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 05:57 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,400,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I’m one of those people that lives underneath an el (the JMZ in Williamsburg). I can definitely say that my rent is extremely cheap for the neighborhood.
Do they provide some sort of sound proof window or you really have to deal with all that noise.

Must be annoying dealing with 2 and half train lines on top of you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 06:21 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
The M train streets look much better in Queens. Then again a good portion of it runs in between blocks.

Bushwick in general is a very ugly neighborhood!
I think Bushwick is beautiful in its own way
Quote:
I’m one of those people that lives underneath an el (the JMZ in Williamsburg). I can definitely say that my rent is extremely cheap for the neighborhood.
Interesting, I thought that the demand for these neighborhoods was so high that people would pay almost as much to live next to an El . Also because it's so conveniently located.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post

Interesting, I thought that the demand for these neighborhoods was so high that people would pay almost as much to live next to an El . Also because it's so conveniently located.
I like the parts with the murals (I guess now east Williamsburg) but I do think Wilson and Broadway aren’t appealing at all. But you are right it’s in its own way!

Old 02-12-2018, 08:51 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,429 times
Quote:
Do they provide some sort of sound proof window or you really have to deal with all that noise.

Must be annoying dealing with 2 and half train lines on top of you!
Nope, you just have to deal with it. And to make it worse, my bedroom window faces the street and a station, and my building dates back to the late 1800s so it’s definitely not soundproof. It’s very loud all hours of the day. At first it is really annoying, but it only took me about a week or 2 to get used to it and was able to sleep normally other than the fact that I used to have dreams about the subway every night for the first few months.

Now I’ve been here at this apartment for about 3 years and I love it. Like 1995 said, it is very convenient having the train right there at your door. Tbh the el has grown on me over time and I don’t really know why.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:54 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,429 times
Quote:

I’m not sure if my rent is cheap because of the el, but I do know that my rent is way below average for the neighborhood. So much that I thought it was a scam at first

Old 02-12-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
I’m not sure if my rent is cheap because of the el, but I do know that my rent is way below average for the neighborhood. So much that I thought it was a scam at first
Do you live with roommates or yourself? And how is the noise? Doable or unbearable?

Old 02-12-2018, 09:32 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
I live a block away from the El.......We got new windows installed and I can't hear it anymore. Living by an El never bothered me.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-12-2018, 10:11 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
I like the parts with the murals (I guess now east Williamsburg) but I do think Wilson and Broadway aren’t appealing at all. But you are right it’s in its own way!
Bushwick proper has a ton of murals, near the Jefferson Streer station especially.

Out of curiosity, is Broadway itself considered Bushwick or Bed Stuy? Or does it depend on which side of the street?

Old 02-12-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Bushwick proper has a ton of murals, near the Jefferson Streer station especially.

Out of curiosity, is Broadway itself considered Bushwick or Bed Stuy? Or does it depend on which side of the street?
Broadway is the borderline of both neighborhoods. Since Broadway was pretty much blighted you either waked south to be in Bed Stuy or north to be in Bushwick but I do think Bushwick is more associated with Broadway than Bed Stuy. Even though it’s literally a boarder street meaning it depends on what side of the street you’re on!

Old 02-12-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I live a block away from the El.......We got new windows installed and I can't hear it anymore. Living by an El never bothered me.
I went to an open house in Ditmas Park by the dead ends that are there because of the embankment tracks for the B/Q trains. The house is literally face to face with the trains and the noise I heard from the house was ok. But I’m wondering if the embankment style tracks help with the noise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City