Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2008, 09:29 PM

354 posts, read 776,257 times

Advertisements

I've been renting in Park Slope for almost 10 years now and truly love it. I know the hood gets bashed by many, but to me it is an utopia and model of urban living. Unfortunately, to live in this utopia you have to pay a hefty price. If money was no object I'd buy a brownstone or something here, but that's just not possible.

Does anyone have any recomendations of neighborhoods or suburbs within an hour commute of the city that are anything at all similar to the Slope? In an ideal world, I'd want the following:

1. Decent downtown with shops, restaurants, walking life, etc - and even better, a downtown with houses/apts walking distance to it
2. > 45 min commute to city
3. Ability to walk to train station (I know this is a stretch)
4. Good schools
5. Not ridiculous taxes
6. Good community vibe
7. 3+BR for < $700k

I know this is asking a lot, but as I said, this is my ideal place. Park Slope has all of this except for #7. I used to be really anti-Jersey and anti-LI, but at this point I think I have to be open to anything. I'm also open to any 3 boroughs (I actually wouldn't want to live in Manhattan even if I could afford it and I'd prefer even JERSEY to Staten Island).

We really like Forest Hills but it's also gotten very expensive. I'd consider Bay Ridge but actually haven't found many suitable places there - and it's also getting pricey. Maybe Astoria, Riverdale? In NJ, I heard Montclair and Ridgewood are really nice.

Any advice is much appreciated!

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 06:08 PM

6 posts, read 25,047 times
Default if you like small historic town feel

Lots of ex Park Slope people in the last handfull of years have moved up here to Cold Spring. [url=http://www.coldspringliving.com]Welcome To Cold Spring Living[/url] We recently joined those ranks after living in the slope for 8 years and also loving it. Cold spring was the only town we found in our search that didn't feel like the suburbs and where you don't have to use a car really. Hiking trialheads walkable from town. Other walkable things: grocery store, drug store, wine shop, many restrnts, tots park, antique shops, kayak rental, river, farmers market in season. Everything a 5 min walk for us. The town attracts seasonal tourists-mostly outdoorsy types and antique shoppers. But there is a thriving community life here that is really growing. Lots of pre-1900 housing stock in need of TLC so if you'd like a historic property this is a good place. Quaint 3 bedrooms still go in the $400K range. One drawback is that the commute is a bit on the long side. 1hr and 10min to grand central.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:35 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
Bay Ridge seems to be where a lot of people are ending up after they are priced out of the Slope.

Forest Hills is nice, but its Queens so you'll be more reliant upon your car than in Brooklyn.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:24 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
Does anyone have any recomendations of neighborhoods or suburbs within an hour commute of the city that are anything at all similar to the Slope? In an ideal world, I'd want the following:

1. Decent downtown with shops, restaurants, walking life, etc - and even better, a downtown with houses/apts walking distance to it
2. > 45 min commute to city
3. Ability to walk to train station (I know this is a stretch)
4. Good schools
5. Not ridiculous taxes
6. Good community vibe
7. 3+BR for < $700k
Bay Ridge is somewhat similar to Park Slope aesthetically, but not so much sociologically. In terms of suburbs, in addition to Montclair and Ridgewood, you might want to check out Maplewood. Depending on which train, it's as little as 35 mins to Penn Station. The taxes are somewhat high, though the taxes are going to be high in any NY suburb within 45 mins of the city with good schools. The taxes in Maplewood are not, I think, as bad as Westchester or LI, and you'd not pay NYC resident income tax anymore. Otherwise it has everything on your list.

Maplewood, NJ, Real Estate Listings and Maplewood, NJ Single Family Home for Sale - Realtor.com

Single Family Home - Maplewood Twp, NJ, 07040 - Realtor.com
Single Family Home - Maplewood Twp, NJ, 07040 - Realtor.com

Old 03-25-2008, 10:02 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
Bay Ridge is somewhat similar to Park Slope aesthetically, but not so much sociologically.
Definitely agree. There probably couldn't be a larger chasm between neighborhoods in the city in sociological terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: