Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 01:23 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRaZy View Post
Today in the newspapers (I think it was the METRO, I'm not sure though) was a little article about Bedford Park. It suppose to be one of the nicest neighborhoods in the BX, close to the botanical garden. It said that renting a studio on Decatur and 196th st. (I believe it was) cost $895. 1 BR on Webster ave. and 199th st. starting at $900. A lot of families live there, it's close to the subway, the best schools etc. Hmm.....I don't know how true this article is. I know that Decatur and Webster ave. are bad.
That area has sparked a lot of debate on here in the past. Personally I don't know enough about that specific area to comment. The little I've heard and seen has been mostly positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 05:08 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Fordham-Bedford is truly an awful area. I have stats galore backing that up so dont try me .

Old 03-27-2008, 11:47 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
Let me clear this up...

Fordham-Bedford = bad
Bedford Park = good

Bedford Park is one of the nicer neighborhoods in the Bronx. Its pretty safe, lots of little stores, mostly a middle class population. Most local people think the area declined because the white population in that area is quickly approaching 0%. Its a pretty decent neighborhood, but I don't know if I'd want to live there.

Bedford Park in many ways reminds me of Kingsbridge near the 1, so if you're interested in one neighborhood check out the other one.

Stay away from Fordham-Bedford though. That neighborhood is TERRIBLE. Its surprising that Bedford Park can stay so decent when Fordham-Bedford with all of its drugs, crime, and other social problems so close by.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:14 AM

People seem to confuse Fordham-Bedford with Bedford park.

Fordham-Bedford is basically an extension of Fordham. So I cant fathom why people would say it's not bad.

While the southern portion of the Bronx has a higher crime rate, in the end Mott Haven, E. Tremont, Fordham-Bedford and any other Bronx hood same ****.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:19 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times
SuperMario....you give far too much credit to the stats...they are numbers after all and only reflect one part of life in these communities. Do you have stats on all the new parks that have been created across the borough? Do you have stats about all the new amenities coming into the area? Do you have stats about the new apts that have been either rehabbed/new that provide great housing to local residents as well as transplants?

Your stats are just that...stats....and do not reflect the day to day existence of anyone or the overall quality of life of an area. According to your stats, I should have been stabbed, shot, mugged, illiterate, poor, homeless, addicted to a host of drugs/alcohol, and essentially existing on government subsidies....and none of those are the case...and there are PLENTY of people like me who never make it into your stats.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
SuperMario....you give far too much credit to the stats...they are numbers after all and only reflect one part of life in these communities. Do you have stats on all the new parks that have been created across the borough? Do you have stats about all the new amenities coming into the area? Do you have stats about the new apts that have been either rehabbed/new that provide great housing to local residents as well as transplants?
Guy you know as much as anybody that I dont only base my opinions on stats. MOST (not all) of the neighborhoods that I comment on, I have been too. I already feel the negative vibe of the area by just walking through, the stats just back my opinions up.

Since you are one to say how nice and sweet a neighborhood is, why dont you show me stats saying so? Its opinion VS facts (stats).

The neighborhood we are talking about, Fordham Bedford, as not nearly received as much attention as say Mott Haven. The further north you go, the less new amenities, parks, housing etc......the area was not as affected as others to the south in terms of arson/abandonment...so they have been relatively left alone. The NYPD however, does focus strongly on Fordham Bedford.

Quote:
Your stats are just that...stats....and do not reflect the day to day existence of anyone or the overall quality of life of an area. According to your stats, I should have been stabbed, shot, mugged, illiterate, poor, homeless, addicted to a host of drugs/alcohol, and essentially existing on government subsidies....and none of those are the case...and there are PLENTY of people like me who never make it into your stats.
It helps that you do not associate yourself with those kinds of people. Nice that you have not been a victim of anything. For everyone of you, there are more people who have been a victim of crime. Or else, what constitutes the high rates of crime in the area. Remember the yuppie in Bed-stuy? Or the lady who lived across the PJ's in Mott Haven....look back at those posts. These are victims....and its very real.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:50 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times
You have already proven to be overly negative based on your solely negative experiences.....so there is no doubt that you get a "negative" vibe just about everywhere you go...and there will always be stats to throw around to support anyone's claims. You do a good job of rarely if ever mentioning the monumental decrease in crime...yet you are always sure to list the number of murders, and latest shootings....you are just negative about the area, and most parts of the Bronx...and I understand why now....when you only associate with the Dominican drug dealers until 4 am that will be your view of life. I understand now...as I did with Hustla who was raised extremely poor in the hosuign projects, only knew that part of life, and then supposedly became a cop working in the same areas....there is no wonder why he was so negative.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:45 AM

307 posts, read 2,508,011 times
OK I'm confused...where does Bedford Park starts??? Cuz I know that Decatur & 194th st. is bad...So Bedford Park I guess starts at like 199th st.?

Old 03-28-2008, 11:54 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
DeCatur and 196th is a severely run down section. Anything south of 198th basically is.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:58 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
technically Bedford Park starts at Bedford park Blvd and ends at Mosholu Pkwy. However in terms of the area getting better, that border may be around 198th or so so IMO BP is from 198th to Mosh Pkwy.

DeCatur and 194th is Fordham Bedford although when things happen, in the papers it will often be referred to as Bedford Park or just Fordham. I've seen 203rd street refrerred to as Fordham
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City