Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 07:46 AM

92 posts, read 109,841 times

Advertisements

Got a job up north above these cities but closest to Stamford (25 min vs White Plains 30 min and Yonkers 45 Min). Know these three cities are the most up-and-coming for millennials. I'm 28 myself and interesting in expanding my social circle, both friends and dating. If you had to choose, which of these three would be the best and worst, or are they all the same? Would it still be necessary to go to NYC often or is it doable staying north of the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 08:18 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
White Plains is the easiest to get into Manhattan.

None of these cities are up-and-coming for Millennials, that's a lie.

The hot spots of Yonkers and White Plains, as well as nearly all of Stamford, are fresh & 'millennial-friendly', if you've already financially made it.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
White Plains is the easiest to get into Manhattan.

None of these cities are up-and-coming for Millennials, that's a lie.

The hot spots of Yonkers and White Plains, as well as nearly all of Stamford, are fresh & 'millennial-friendly', if you've already financially made it.
It probably is. I've seen some blogs and forum posts on it that Stamford is but I can see that's kind of bunk from visiting. Not sure what you mean by 'financially made it', tho. You're acting like NYC is cheap lol. A dinky apartment with roaches in the outskirts of Brooklyn is like $1500/mo. Costs the same for a nice complex studio in downtown Stamford/White Plains. If you want to live anywhere nice in the city and not have a ton of roommates on your a** and live in a nice building, you need to fork up 2500+ per month.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:24 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozillameister View Post
It probably is. I've seen some blogs and forum posts on it that Stamford is but I can see that's kind of bunk from visiting. Not sure what you mean by 'financially made it', tho. You're acting like NYC is cheap lol. A dinky apartment with roaches in the outskirts of Brooklyn is like $1500/mo. Costs the same for a nice complex studio in downtown Stamford/White Plains. If you want to live anywhere nice in the city and not have a ton of roommates on your a** and live in a nice building, you need to fork up 2500+ per month.
That last part is a lie. Plenty of nice neighborhoods in NYC where once can get a nice apartment. Douglaston, Riverdale, Bay Ridge all come to mind. You can commute with the commuter rail or the express bus, so if you are pulling in $70,000-80,000, you'd be just fine.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
That last part is a lie. Plenty of nice neighborhoods in NYC where once can get a nice apartment. Douglaston, Riverdale, Bay Ridge all come to mind. You can commute with the commuter rail or the express bus, so if you are pulling in $70,000-80,000, you'd be just fine.
Except Riverside, that's a nightmare commute to CT since it's all non standard. Bay Ridge is not $1.5k anymore unless you get a sub 400sq ft studio or in a house that's a bit out of the way. Plus the R train sucks.

NYC doesn't have nice new apartments unless you go to LIC or Manhattan and pay a ton on rent. They're all old buildings or in houses. If you like that, cool. I know friends in Montreal with beautiful apartments that are all new. Silent walls. Modern electric wiring. Perfect plumbing. These are luxuries that cost a ton in NYC. That's not a lie. CT has a ton of new apartments that were built with modern conveniences in mind, rather than pre Great War style of living.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Except Riverside, that's a nightmare commute to CT since it's all non standard. Bay Ridge is not $1.5k anymore unless you get a sub 400sq ft studio or in a house that's a bit out of the way. Plus the R train sucks.

NYC doesn't have nice new apartments unless you go to LIC or Manhattan and pay a ton on rent. They're all old buildings or in houses. If you like that, cool. I know friends in Montreal with beautiful apartments that are all new. Silent walls. Modern electric wiring. Perfect plumbing. These are luxuries that cost a ton in NYC. That's not a lie. CT has a ton of new apartments that were built with modern conveniences in mind, rather than pre Great War style of living.
Except I didn't say anything about $1500. I said if you earn $70,000-80,000, you'll be fine. That allows for $2,000 max in rent, and for that you can find nice places in the areas I mentioned. I pay $1600 for my studio. It is brand new (gut renovated) and beautiful. My girlfriend and I, our apartment in the city (also a studio) is $1800 and relatively new. Built about 6 years or so ago.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Except I didn't say anything about $1500. I said if you earn $70,000-80,000, you'll be fine. That allows for $2,000 max in rent, and for that you can find nice places in the areas I mentioned. I pay $1600 for my studio. It is brand new (gut renovated) and beautiful. My girlfriend and I, our apartment in the city (also a studio) is $1800 and relatively new. Built about 6 years or so ago.
That's cool, but like I said I'm not commuting to NYC but Stamford. That's an almost 2 hour commute from Bay Ridge. Only Riverdale works, but at that point I don't see the difference between that and Yonkers. Literally arguing about an extra 10 minutes on the Metro North or a 15 minute drive + 1 train.

Also NYC taxes are brutal. Would be nice to not pay thousands in taxes including the thousands already taken off my paycheck yearly.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
That's cool, but like I said I'm not commuting to NYC but Stamford. That's an almost 2 hour commute from Bay Ridge. Only Riverdale works, but at that point I don't see the difference between that and Yonkers. Literally arguing about an extra 10 minutes on the Metro North or a 15 minute drive + 1 train.

Also NYC taxes are brutal. Would be nice to not pay thousands in taxes including the thousands already taken off my paycheck yearly.
Stay in Westchester then. We won't miss ya.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:18 PM

983 posts, read 931,103 times
Quote:

Westchester taxes are way higher than city taxes...

If you're working in Stamford, live there imo. You'll save a lot

Old 02-18-2018, 02:43 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:

Westchester taxes higher than NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City