Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 12:27 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
It was a wealthy and upper-middle class neigbhorhood up till the 50s. And with white flight (a national thing) and the decline in NYC, it became working class where mostly the Italian and Irish moved in. There was a small blip in time that hispanics and blacks moved in. However, by the late 60's, it was gentrifying again. There was crime in spite of the gentrification but in its history it was never considered a bad neighborhood except for only a few years.

By 1973, 7th avenue was made a landmark district. It made the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. So, in my lifetime, it's always been gentrified and from history, it was a iffy neigbhorhood for at most 10 years.
Interesting. Thanks for the history lesson!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 12:41 PM

453 posts, read 317,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Back in 2005 and 2006 everyone use to say Brooklyn was dangerous and awful place now fast forward to 2012, 2013ish to present day now everyone is on NYC trend. What happen between 2003 and now that make Brooklyn attractive place to visit and live. The Bronx and Harlem is now becoming cool to hipsters and yuppies.
I am not even surprised Harlem has become gentrified as it has great architecture and is well connected. what its really intriguing its how Bushwick and now East new York are supposedly hip. Bushwick is flat out the ugliest hood in Brooklyn. And east new York is just a collection of projects, bad housing and sketchy bodegas.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:56 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
I am not even surprised Harlem has become gentrified as it has great architecture and is well connected. what its really intriguing its how Bushwick and now East new York are supposedly hip. Bushwick is flat out the ugliest hood in Brooklyn. And east new York is just a collection of projects, bad housing and sketchy bodegas.
People will pay premium just to say they in live in NYC and they can get to Manhattan

Old 03-02-2018, 01:46 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
Bushwick is right next to Williamsburg, of course it was going to gentrify.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:50 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Might be one of the most ignorant things I’ve ever read on here and that’s saying a lot. Your post make you look more and more like a shut in who has never left his computer chair.

Like other posters have said people got priced out of manhattan. It was the perfect storm; BK has a “cool” factor, great housing stock, good transportation, close to the city, etc. It was just the right neighborhood at the right time.
Most ignorant? You haven't been around Bk to know what I'm talking about. BK especially the riverline areas were all projects and crack dens in the early 90s. You think today it's full of million dollar homes was always been prime real estate?

BK had a tiny decent area near the court houses and even that area was still not desirable back then. People were flocking to LI and away from crime ridden BK until the late 90s when the gentrification started.

I used to get a kick out of driving around Williamsburg making fun of prostitutes on the corners and seeing drug dealers around.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:29 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,263,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
It was a wealthy and upper-middle class neigbhorhood up till the 50s. And with white flight (a national thing) and the decline in NYC, it became working class where mostly the Italian and Irish moved in. There was a small blip in time that hispanics and blacks moved in. However, by the late 60's, it was gentrifying again. There was crime in spite of the gentrification but in its history it was never considered a bad neighborhood except for only a few years.

By 1973, 7th avenue was made a landmark district. It made the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. So, in my lifetime, it's always been gentrified and from history, it was a iffy neigbhorhood for at most 10 years.
Yep there was still a hispanic and small AA enclaves within the areas around 4th/5th Avenues which rapidly began shrinking from the 80s to 90's, there is still a reminiscence of this in Sunset Park. All along 5th avenue there were mostly latin-spanish restaurants, corner bodegas and Puerto Rican barber shops(not Dominican). By mid-90s all of 5th avenue was almost dried up (El Viejo Yayo comes to mind as they with stood the test of time and are still there now). I can still remember seeing all the closed down store fronts which later became revitalized by around late 90's (I tell people this now and many are in aww because they don't believe how the demographics changed that fast). Funny thing is if you go to Flatbush Ave around the PLG area this is exactly what is happening there now.

Last edited by Ruready4Bklyn; 03-02-2018 at 02:37 PM..

Old 03-04-2018, 04:26 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Most ignorant? You haven't been around Bk to know what I'm talking about. BK especially the riverline areas were all projects and crack dens in the early 90s. You think today it's full of million dollar homes was always been prime real estate?

BK had a tiny decent area near the court houses and even that area was still not desirable back then. People were flocking to LI and away from crime ridden BK until the late 90s when the gentrification started.

I used to get a kick out of driving around Williamsburg making fun of prostitutes on the corners and seeing drug dealers around.
I thought about what you say and I think its true/you're right

I didnt start hanging out in Williamsburg until '05 -'06, even then it was nothing to walk along Kent Avenue by the waterfront and see somebody sniffing something off they dashboard

And I remember stories of people saying back in the day you could get any drug at Bedford Avenue on the L in the 1990s

Downtown Brooklyn was still dangerous as late as 2006, it really did a 360 with all the new stores and buildings, at night time it still can be a little iffy, but definitely nowhere as bad as the past

In the early 2000s it was still kinda dangerous to go shopping Downtown Brooklyn depending on what you were buying and the time of day. I would not want to walk one of those side streets at night time with a Nike bag back in the day.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-04-2018, 07:28 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I thought about what you say and I think its true/you're right

Downtown Brooklyn was still dangerous as late as 2006, it really did a 360 with all the new stores and buildings, at night time it still can be a little iffy, but definitely nowhere as bad as the past

In the early 2000s it was still kinda dangerous to go shopping Downtown Brooklyn depending on what you were buying and the time of day. I would not want to walk one of those side streets at night time with a Nike bag back in the day.
It is amazing how fast things change in NYC.

By the time a neighborhood becomes at all desirable, who can afford it anymore?

Old 03-04-2018, 07:37 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post

Anything can change in New York minute

Old 03-04-2018, 07:58 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post

Yeah, Downtown Brooklyn was actually pretty dangerous back in the day. Look at it now. Frikkin aLoft hotels haha.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City