Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 01:30 PM

15 posts, read 9,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Well Rome wasn't built in one day. You should be looking for side gigs in the meantime until you have the experience to move on. A side gig could perhaps bump you up 5 - 10 k a year.
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 01:34 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonp21990 View Post
Any suggestions?
Apply to jobs you have experience in. You may to work nights or weekends, but if you really want to make more money now you have to start hustling.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:37 PM

4,775 posts, read 6,573,986 times
You may also want to post your question on the employment board:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-employment/

Old 03-06-2018, 01:38 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,864,035 times
Quote:
I'm coming onto 3 years of experience.

I really want to make more money though.
Assistant roles in non profits generally don't pay very well (unless working for a non profit like Robin Hood, Venture for America etc). I would look in another industry. You can make a lot more in financial services like an investment bank or a hedge fund. You need to start sending your resume you agencies that specialize in that field.

A good start: Miller Klein Group, LLC - Openings or Russell Tobin | Specialized Recruiting & Staffing Advisory

Good luck!

Old 03-06-2018, 01:43 PM

15 posts, read 9,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Apply to jobs you have experience in. You may to work nights or weekends, but if you really want to make more money now you have to start hustling.
Maybe I can be a bartender or try Rover and Uber.

What do you think about me going back to school and pursuing my masters in accounting?

Old 03-06-2018, 02:33 PM

1,013 posts, read 913,118 times
Quote:
Hi,

I'm currently working as an executive assistant to the VP of a non-profit organization. At my current position I have experience in in purchasing, clerical work, and HR functions. However, i'm currently only making $44K a year, which is obviously too low to live in this city. I have a bachelors degree in business administration with a concentration in HR management. I've had a few interviews for HR related jobs but I haven't been able to obtain any offers yet.

My question is: If not HR what jobs can I get with the degree that I have?

Also, should I go back for my masters in accounting and become a CPA?

I'm feeling a bit stuck and would like some advice on how to move forward.

Thank you.
There are a million jobs in the city right now....try new channels and networking, when I was younger and starting out I had numerous jobs in the first 3-4 years tripling my income. Just try new things and hustle! Good luck you can do it.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:47 PM

8 posts, read 4,248 times
You are going to have to re-invent yourself. Consider hiring a career coach to get your story and goal straightened out.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:32 PM

282 posts, read 575,542 times
Get out of non-profit. Even if you stay as an EA, with 3 years experience you should be making more than that. I have worked in HR and as an EA and you should be able to find something better. I would stay out of finance unless you want to work 24/7. The money is great but you can be at someone's beck and call--think The Devil Wears Prada. Good luck!

Old 03-06-2018, 03:38 PM

5,826 posts, read 2,948,440 times
Bull**** is a real art.

First you have to design your resume in a way that is attractive. Lie your teeth out if you have to, but!!!, have balls to back it up later when you get hired.

Second. Its all about who you know really. Resumes dont really get looked at that much. a few phone calls by friends can get you into a company that will build your life.

So. Never be honest on your resume. Always maximize your talents and extrapolate your achievements.

Wish you luck.

PS.

NyC is all about networking. not about talent. Get friends who can get your work, then show your talent if you have any.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:45 PM

1,013 posts, read 913,118 times
What this guy said ☝️
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City