Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 04:03 PM

37 posts, read 38,382 times

Advertisements

I am looking to list my coop for sale. Need to find out what the official footage is. Would the coop management company know? Or is there a website where I can find the official measurements for the apt? I can find the data for the entire building, but not the apt itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 04:39 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,040,151 times
There is a website called StreetEasy.com that does list apartment square footage. Another is apartments.com. The secret is to look for another apartment in your same building that is on the same line, (i.e. 3E, 4E, 5E, etc.), where someone had previously rented it or that is up for rent. Most of those ads show square footage.

Good luck!

Old 03-06-2018, 05:09 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
There is a website called StreetEasy.com that does list apartment square footage. Another is apartments.com. The secret is to look for another apartment in your same building that is on the same line, (i.e. 3E, 4E, 5E, etc.), where someone had previously rented it or that is up for rent. Most of those ads show square footage.

Good luck!
Won't work because they all lie. Info from those listings would be very unreliable.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:12 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies888 View Post
I am looking to list my coop for sale. Need to find out what the official footage is. Would the coop management company know? Or is there a website where I can find the official measurements for the apt? I can find the data for the entire building, but not the apt itself.
If you got a mortgage when you bought the apartment the bank did an appraisal where the appraiser came and measured the apartment . The exact measurements would be in the appraisal which you should have a copy of because you paid for it.

If you don't have an appraisal ask the management company.

It could also be in the original offering plan/prospectus which you must have a copy of.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:13 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Do it the way developers do it. Measure the square footage of all the floor spaces in your apartment and then DOUBLE it.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:21 AM

142 posts, read 224,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Won't work because they all lie. Info from those listings would be very unreliable.

This. They do. You're not supposed to rent a place under 400sq ft for example. I worked with a broker and half of what I was shown was way under that.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:22 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Try seeing if your building happens to be in the Columbia real estate brochures. If you can find your floor plan, it will be easier for you to calculate your square footage without having to measure everything yourself. But don't forget to include internal square footage --that is the space that's between the interior walls. At least I'm pretty sure that measurement would be added to any total interior square footage measurement. https://nyre.cul.columbia.edu/

My apartment is in the brochures, so that's how I did it. I did include a few extra inches for each room to incorporate the space between the walls. For example, it says my living room is 12'6" wide, so I calculated it at 12'9" (or something like that). I think my estimate was pretty accurate, although it certainly wasn't "official." Also I never used it for anything except my own knowledge, so there were no consequences of being wrong.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:49 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Quote:
But don't forget to include internal square footage --that is the space that's between the interior walls.

And don't forget to add your share of the hallways, elevators, emergency stairs and the lobby.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:50 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
But don't forget to include internal square footage --that is the space that's between the interior walls.

And don't forget to add your share of the hallways, elevators, emergency stairs and the lobby.
I believe the interior wall square footage is 100% ok (and expected) for measurements for residential apartments and houses. Your second point is only for commercial real estate.

If you have a link that states otherwise, please post it.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:46 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,760,732 times
Or you can use an app. https://www.cnet.com/news/roomscan-a...tapping-walls/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: