Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 07:30 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,577,158 times

Advertisements

The Kent, new affordable condominiums for sale at 200 East 95th Street.
Here is the link for those of you who want to apply
The Kent | NYC Housing Partnership

I wish those of you the best of luck getting it. This will take time, so be patient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 01:23 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,997 times
Whattttt....that's bananas. Prices are quite good, but monthly carrying costs are pricey, especially once you consider that they'll never go away. (not saying they're not worth it for new construction with amenities, just seems like a lot for "affordable").

Old 03-21-2018, 01:45 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Wow. Looks nice, but prices are barely affordable for the income level, plus I would NEVER buy something with such high monthly carrying costs.

How could anyone earning those incomes afford that maintenance and those monthly charges? It's ludicrous.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:57 PM

Very good point @Shoshanarose and @LizfromtheBronx. I was hoping you guys would point that out, the high monthly carrying cost. When I first saw it, I was like, oh boy...I hope anyone who apply for this know what they are signing up for.

I mean the building is very nice and all, but the cost...I don't feel like is anywhere near affordable. Well, I still post it because I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to pay for it. So, good luck guys.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:25 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
We’ve discussed this building before on a previous thread here. It’s not worth it. You get a small ass apartment with a 2K carrying charge and these are supposed to be “affordable”? I pity the fools

Old 03-31-2018, 11:19 PM

10 posts, read 29,734 times
Hi everyone. Are carrying costs additional to the mortgage? Also, how realistic is it for one to win such an apartment? There is very little information about it online. Is there a minimum credit score needed to be approved? Also, if you are separated from your husband but still haven't filed for divorce or legal separation, do you need to include him on application? I would greatly appreciate if you could kindly please share your knowledge and experience.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:25 AM

4,774 posts, read 6,571,114 times
Yes, carrying costs are additional to the mortgage. You pay both.

Old 04-01-2018, 04:11 AM

11 posts, read 18,490 times
Hi everyone,

Carrying cost in this case include everything, including principal and interest charges.
Look at 4 stars in the column name and then read the explanation under the table...)

Old 04-01-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vs50 View Post
Hi everyone,

Carrying cost in this case include everything, including principal and interest charges.
Look at 4 stars in the column name and then read the explanation under the table...)
Very good point. If that's the case, that means, the monthly common charge may not be in the thousand. Need to take a look at the offering plan. I will look into this and hopefully shed some light on this matter for you guys.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:12 PM

10 posts, read 29,734 times
I have been reading about the program a lot. And it seems that you won't be able to resell the property even after years and make profit on real estate. It might be a bad investment for someone who is not sure if they want to live in the same place for 20-40 years. For example, if today you are single and 27 and buy a studio in order to sell it for market price you would have to live in the property for 40 years (in most cases) that is until you are 67!! How can one raise a family in a studio? If you decide to sell your apartment you need to get an approval from the housing department and it will sold to another family who fits affordability brackets. Basically, you are much better off investing in 401K if your employer contributes as well.

I am not sure how long exactly is a deed for 200 E 95th Street but most likely close to 40 years. There was a big scandal last year with reselling of Affordable Units so De Blasio signed very strict rules on reselling of units. Plus, it is important to remember that Tax Exemption in the Kent, 200 East 95th street expires in 20 years. So you will be paying enormous taxes + maintenance fees for 20!!! years if you are hoping to sell at market price.

Basically, it looks like a great opportunity but if your family grows or you need to move because of new job think twice. You will pretty much make zero profit plus you cannot rent out the unit. Maybe some people get away with renting affordable properties but it will not work in a luxury building with the doorman.

Summary: if your family won't grow, you will have the same location of work, you want to live in the same apartment for approx. 40 years then apply.

If your hope is to sell apartment at profit after 10-15 years, you are better off investing in other opportunities.

Hope this helps & good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: