Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 11:04 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times

Advertisements

I am assuming you plan to take the subway to the city for work and entertainment. Elmhurst, Astoria, Kew Garden, Forrest Hills are all within reasonable commute to your job. These areas have wide varieties of dining and shopping options. There are tons of apartment for under $1700 in these neighborhoods. There is a Trader Joes in Rego park. The average cost for a round trip uber ride is $25 from any of the above listed neighborhoods.

I would not pay for parking, higher insurance and carrying cost just to have a car to run errands. You are looking at paying $500 monthly to have the convenience of a car for errands that would cost $200 at most when completed while ubering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 11:24 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
No no no. The OP must live in Crown Heights.

Not people. More specifically people on this forum exaggerate. I'd be very curious to know how much these people make since they tell lies about how impossible it is to find an apartment here.
I've seen people on facebook do it too.

Either these people are so rich that they've never had to budget when looking for an apartment, or they're simply uninformed.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:31 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
I would find it pretty easy to live off of 65-70K. My husband and I could both live off that one salary if we had to. But we don't have student loans to pay at this point and don't have monthly payments on our car either. Yeah, you're not going to be living large, but it's entirely doable.

I think many people are just really sh*tty with money.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:51 AM

220 posts, read 196,024 times
It is definetey doable. I started working at 45K and had a roommate. i was paying 950 a month rent at the time. Got a raise to 58k then moved to my own 1 bedroom apt for 1.3k. I will be getting another salary bump soon to put me in your bracket which gives me more breathing room as far as finances.

I have student loans and some credit debt im paying off but i am still able to live comfortably without roommates. I try to save, contribute to my 401K and yes i am in a relationship so we go out often (split evently)

The cost of keeping the jeep i'd reconsider but if you insist then live frugally that is no strippers or ballin outta control

Old 03-29-2018, 07:11 AM

34,012 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
I disagree. There is something that we as a society seem to be forgetting to teach people, and that's independence. Nobody has any pride anymore. It's a beautiful thing to have your own place and make it on your own, and it certainly is doable with the OP's salary. If they budget and are smart with their money they can find a nice apartment in a good neighborhood for under $2,000. I work a lot with NYU Langone so I know that the hours are demanding, but I'm living proof of a young person who lives alone (though I earn more than the OP) but still, I have several student loans, eat out regularly, shop at Whole Foods and so on. The whole doom and gloom gets old. There is absolutely no reason that the OP needs to get roommates unless they are horrible at budgeting. Besides the OP has no kids, so there's no reason why they can't live comfortably save and so on. With the kind of hours they work, their utilities should be next to nothing. My ConEd bill is around $50.00 a month tops and I cook regularly, but my apartment has all new energy efficient lighting and appliances so that definitely helps.

I mean really, living alone allows you to have a great sex life and you don't have to worry about impeding on other people's space. You can walk around naked if you want since it's your apartment. All of that hard work, to come home to a friggin' room. After a long day I'd be frustrated with such a set up. Please. OP, get yourself your own apartment and be independent!! You're a grown up. Live like one!
Some people like the roommate set-up because its cheaper. But if they're able to afford an apartment on their own then by all means they should try and do so.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-29-2018, 08:14 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DittoDitto21 View Post
There are sacrifices if you want to live in manhattan for under 2k.

You can get in an old building around that price and something incredibly small with old appliances. Unless you move to the projects side of Harlem or Washington heights. But it’s no parking and so damn loud over there. Too many people for me and no neighborhood feel

But why pay that just to live in manhattan when you can get in a luxury building with an elevator/laundry/doorman/rec room/gym etc for a $100 more plus additional space a true 1 bedroom in crown heights?

People have to write a list of what’s important to them. For example I couldn’t live in a studio just to live in manhattan nor an outdated apartment
What's with you and Crown Heights? You would think that was the only neighborhood in NYC that offered such amenities. It's almost as if you're propping up the neighborhood or you just aren't from here so you only know of a few neighborhoods.

There are always sacrifices. The OP should also look into NYU housing if they still offer that. A few years ago I applied for a position with them, and I believe that was one of the perks.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:03 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DittoDitto21 View Post
The 4/5 goes straight to NYU langone, fastest commute around 30 mins from a Brooklyn neighborhood. When people ask these questions for advice they are obviously looking for something that tailors there needs. OP wants to live alone, have parking accessible and ideally a 1 bedroom in Brooklyn. Did he say he would sacrifice space and parking of his Jeep to live in manhattan?

But everyone here gets snarky on a city based forum about relocation. Either answer the question or ignore it
Oh I did answer it, but I think your recommendation is off base. When has Crown Heights been known to have good parking or lots of luxury buildings? I know some of the buildings have been gutted for sure having spent time in the area over the years, but luxury... Please do enlighten me...

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 03-29-2018 at 09:25 AM..

Old 03-29-2018, 09:21 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
It's hard to find an affordable studio in NYC earning that salary.
Quote:

It is not. I live in one and pay $1600. It's certainly doable. The problem is people in this damn forum are fixated on living in trendy neighborhoods and living near a subway line as if your world ends if you don't have those things. I live a very safe nice neighborhood and do just fine. My girlfriend complains about her rent and she earns more than I do (well over $100,000) and she's crying about the prospect of paying $2,000 a month for her studio. She lives in Manhattan near a subway but takes Uber everywhere and wonders why she's always crying for money. She's like yeah maybe I should use Uber less.... That and stop going out every weekend and she'd have some money, but the subway is beneath her. She makes around $110,000 a year, with no kids or student loans, so my point is if you're horrible with money, it won't make a difference how much money you make.

I make less than her but more than the OP, and don't sacrifice on anything. I shop at Whole Foods far more often than my girlfriend does (my girlfriend will mix it up with Trader Joe's which I'm not a fan of, or sometimes she does Fairway, which I like as well), but she blows money in other things that just leaves me shaking my head, but it's her money so I don't say anything unless she brings it up.

Great response pierrepont!

It baffles me when people in NYC (including non-manhattanites) say they are going broke while pulling low 6 figures. So many people are so poor with managing their money

Old 03-29-2018, 10:09 AM

34,012 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Great response pierrepont!

It baffles me when people in NYC (including non-manhattanites) say they are going broke while pulling low 6 figures. So many people are so poor with managing their money
Well what do you expect, it's mostly kids that come ask this stuff

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-29-2018, 11:21 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Yes, it is enough with some good budgeting and some klnd of a rent deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City