Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 12:40 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
South Brooklyn, sub $1500, done.
^This. I don't know why people have obsession with roommates on CD. The commute would be about ~5 min longer, but you get to live in your own apartment in a low crime area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 03:33 PM

101 posts, read 127,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DittoDitto21 View Post
To NYU langone?

Where is a better commute from Brooklyn?

They didn’t ask about the Bronx or queens. Also that’s an area already gentrified with decent rentals. Close to the park, Brooklyn museum, and downtown Brooklyn.

He won’t find a better location that’s convenient below a $2500 price range

Actually.... I am also curious about Queens/Astoria as well. Where are some of the best non-Manhattan places to live?

But my biggest concern is actually the parking.......where the hell do New Yorkers park? I have to find someplace to put my Wrangler lol.... I'm almost kind of wondering if it was really bad to just get a monthly rate at parking garage just to avoid a major headache.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:41 PM

101 posts, read 127,572 times
Also, I had another queston about owning.....

Outside of Manhattan in terms of suburbs and outer boroughs, where are the best places to live, and price ranges in terms of buying if I were to settle in long term.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:03 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttzakr87 View Post
Actually.... I am also curious about Queens/Astoria as well. Where are some of the best non-Manhattan places to live?

But my biggest concern is actually the parking.......where the hell do New Yorkers park? I have to find someplace to put my Wrangler lol.... I'm almost kind of wondering if it was really bad to just get a monthly rate at parking garage just to avoid a major headache.

many NYers don't own cars. You insurance will spike & parking will probably be pain all around

Old 03-28-2018, 05:34 PM

483 posts, read 841,918 times
Quote:
Long Island City and Astoria (closer to the water for the latter case) could be good options commute-wise since you could take the ferry to 34th Street, which is a very short walk to Langone.

I think LIC is a bit more expensive though.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:35 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,884,494 times
Yes

Old 03-28-2018, 05:36 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Hello,

I am weighing a decision on relocating from Buffalo to come to NYC and take a job at NYU Langone.

I have my sights set on somewhere in Brooklyn, haven't quite narrowed it down yet.

I will be making around 33/hr and will probably make around 65-70K per year. I project to have around 3500-3700 per month after taxes. Is this sufficient enough to make a living on in NYC if I get a roommate and split costs in Brooklyn, or anywhere in NYC?
If you get a roommate you'll be fine on that salary.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-28-2018, 07:21 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DittoDitto21 View Post
He can always keep his residence in upstate, thats fraud but hey millions do it.

parking hassle is a big factor though. Queens may be a better fit but longer commute by train.
Having a weekend car for most just isn’t worth it. Just get a zip car.

I own a few cars and barely put in 7,000 miles year collectively out in the suburbs.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:30 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
If you get a roommate you'll be fine on that salary.
Ugh why do people keep recommending roommates? I get it, it's cheaper, but Jesus Christ at what point is it just ridiculous to keep sharing an apartment with strangers when you are earning 65-70k a year? What's wrong with doing a studio and being independent??

Old 03-28-2018, 07:36 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Ugh why do people keep recommending roommates? I get it, it's cheaper, but Jesus Christ at what point is it just ridiculous to keep sharing an apartment with strangers when you are earning 65-70k a year? What's wrong with doing a studio and being independent??
It's hard to find an affordable studio in NYC earning that salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City