Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 09:15 AM

5 posts, read 4,374 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I wanted to know the safety of working in Washington Heights.

I'm moving to NYC this summer following graduation and have a potential work opportunity in Washington Heights near 177th and St. Nicholas.

A little bit of background on me, I am white, early 20s, and grew up in a suburban area. I went to college in a city, and last summer lived in Brooklyn (Prospect Heights) while completing an internship in Brownsville. Although I did love living in Brooklyn and exploring NYC, I did feel uncomfortable walking through Brownsville.

I wanted to know how this area compares to Brownsville. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 09:17 AM

983 posts, read 932,695 times
much safer, but also it's party town so it may be loud all night all summer.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:31 AM

I'll be living a little bit farther downtown, but will just be commuting in for work during the day (normal working hours like 8-4). Thanks

Old 04-20-2018, 09:36 AM

14,056 posts, read 13,950,334 times
Safer than Brownsville still got be street smart thought you might hear reggaeton blasting all day.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:56 AM

Thank you for responding. Do you know if the A at 175 would be a better walk to 177 and St. Nicholas. Or the 1 at 181. According to google they're similar in distance, just didn't know if one would be a safer walk. Thanks

Old 04-20-2018, 10:07 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,887,699 times
Seriously? Keep living in Idaho if you are that scared.
Use common sense hide your phone and don’t wear headphones.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
Seriously? Keep living in Idaho if you are that scared.
Use common sense hide your phone and don’t wear headphones.
I didn't say that I was scared, I'm trying to get more information on an area I know very little about. I don't understand why it makes sense for you to spend your time answering if you weren't going to be helpful. Thanks for commenting though

Old 04-20-2018, 10:28 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haaleylynn View Post
I didn't say that I was scared, I'm trying to get more information on an area I know very little about. I don't understand why it makes sense for you to spend your time answering if you weren't going to be helpful. Thanks for commenting though
He is being helpful. You just don't like what he had to say. It's still advice (and good advice at that). Why can't you just go to Google maps, enter the address of your job and do a walk through to see what the area looks like yourself? Seriously if you have an ounce of street smarts your instincts will kick in and say hmm I don't feel as if I'd feel comfortable walking through here. That's a sign that you need to be more aware of your surroundings... Ding ding ding ding ding!!

In your case you've lived here before and worked in the ghetto, so that "uncomfortable feeling" you had walking in Brownsville is what you feel like when you're in an area that isn't so safe. I get so tired of these "sheltered" kids from the suburbs asking is this area safe?? Christ... I grew up in a suburban area too... Doesn't excuse using common sense!

You can also use Google maps to see which train station is closest. Parts of Washington Heights are hilly so it will be important to pick the correct train line (your option is the 1 or the A) not just because of that but to make your commute as easy as possible. What area will you be living in?

Old 04-20-2018, 10:30 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haaleylynn View Post
Hello,

I wanted to know the safety of working in Washington Heights.

I'm moving to NYC this summer following graduation and have a potential work opportunity in Washington Heights near 177th and St. Nicholas.

A little bit of background on me, I am white, early 20s, and grew up in a suburban area. I went to college in a city, and last summer lived in Brooklyn (Prospect Heights) while completing an internship in Brownsville. Although I did love living in Brooklyn and exploring NYC, I did feel uncomfortable walking through Brownsville.

I wanted to know how this area compares to Brownsville. Thanks
I treat anywhere in the city the same no matter where I am at

Enough of this

Just because I'm walking down Fifth Avenue means I can wear jewelry and be careless with my electronic devices in public now? It's ridiculous. Anything can happen any place at any time.

And quite frankly, we're just as guilty for perpetuating this crap with these transplants, myself included.

OP, it's an urban environment. I'm not saying that you're not right to feel scared or apprehensive about going to certain areas, but it would not be in your best interest to let your guard down because you think the neighborhood is safer, criminals have legs and they can walk or drive anywhere they want.

I'm one of those types who if I were to live in an area where everybody leaves their front door unlocked, I would still lock mine.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-20-2018, 10:36 AM

983 posts, read 932,695 times
it's a perfectly reasonable question, no need to get salty about people asking these things. But really, if you worked in brownsville before, there isn't anyhting you need to worry about walking 3 blocks from the subway to your office in the Heights. Just pick whatever is less uphill walking

Also I wear headphones 100% of the time when I'm outside and I"ve never had problems (well, not yet), because I also look like I'm paying attention to what's going on around me... that's all you really need. Don't look insecure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City